PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious problems with my own PC

george12
25-10-2010, 11:02 AM
My laptop failed to start with a BSOD the other day (0x6b, PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED). The memory and hard drive tested fine, and the problem reoccured on a clean install of Windows 7. I concluded that the laptop motherboard was at fault, as I had experienced suspicious symptoms in the past including:

- File copy corruption between known good drives
- Event log entries indicating that the processor was being placed in a "reduced performance state" by the firmware due to a thermal event, despite normal temperatures.

I replaced the laptop but kept the two month old 500GB hard drive, putting it into the new one. Just last night, my hard drive appeared to fail - ie, a chirping noise came from the hard drive area, the hard drive light was stuck on, and the computer crashed after 20 seconds or so of this.

However, I turned it off and on again, booted into Windows PE, and successfully copied everything off the drive. Furthermore, I have now rebooted into Windows with no signs of trouble at all.

Has anyone ever had a hard drive failure where it alternates between flawless operation, and making nasty noises? Any other light anyone can shed on this odd situation?

Thanks for your help.

wainuitech
25-10-2010, 11:16 AM
if its windows 7 , click start, type in reli, have a look at the Reliability Monitor, see if it gives any better details as to what happened.

From the description / noises, it could be a drive starting to fail. I have seen drives that work perfectly fine when cold, but once running for a while and get warmer start to do "silly/ unexplained things"

Agent_24
25-10-2010, 11:23 AM
I have had faulty hard drives do all kinds of weird things. It's definitely possible.

george12
25-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks. Unfortunately it just has the expected error and critical event corresponding to the unexpected shutdown.

The blue screen that occurred when the drive appeared to crash was KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, but it failed to write it to the event log, and said that the memory dump failed (as it could not access the hard drive, I presume). So clearly it did have serious trouble with the hard drive.

I am running a long DST on it and I imagine it should fail during that. Perhaps it is an intermittant problem with the power connector - however, that could potentially be on the motherboard too.

I want to be sure enough to RMA it without worry that they will claim it is fine.

wainuitech
25-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I've always found, if its an intermittent problem you tell them that, and provide details regrading what testing you have already done.

Being intermittent they cant be 100% sure its not going to fail again once returned, even if it appears OK after testing. More Often than not they change it to make sure, as its a PITA for them as well if it keeps coming back with the same problem.

One way to also test is if you have another drive, plug that in and if it doesn't falter that kind of confirms its the drive.

The error message means
This Stop message indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. This Stop message is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware.

pctek
25-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Has anyone ever had a hard drive failure where it alternates between flawless operation, and making nasty noises? .

No but I had one where it would work fine, then Windows would BSOD or crash restart and I'd get No Operating System on reboot. Then it would be fine again. Etc etc.
Drive controller problem.

Yours - I'd be more suspicious of motherboard.

george12
25-10-2010, 02:54 PM
No but I had one where it would work fine, then Windows would BSOD or crash restart and I'd get No Operating System on reboot. Then it would be fine again. Etc etc.
Drive controller problem.

Yours - I'd be more suspicious of motherboard.

Gosh wouldn't that be great, two out-of-warranty laptops with dead motheboards inside a week :o

I am inclined to agree that it is a definite possiblity. I will pop a different hard drive in and use it for a week or two, and see if I have any problems. If not I'll just RMA this one (which is only 7 weeks old), otherwise I'll have to buy laptop number three :(

Thanks Agent, wainuitech and pctek :)

Agent_24
25-10-2010, 03:56 PM
My friend bought a Sony Vaio and the hard drive (a Fujitsu) died after 2 months

IIRC he didn't bother with warranty, and bought a bigger\faster Seagate to replace it with.

wratterus
26-10-2010, 04:20 PM
I've seen truckloads of HDDs in Vaios die recently, mainly Tosh and Fujitsu - no apparent reason for it...7200rpm notebook HDDs are so cheap nowadays you may just as well grab one of those...

Agent_24
26-10-2010, 04:50 PM
All the crap software the Sony preloads on them probably wears them out :lol: