PDA

View Full Version : Problems after installing ATA drive

gamerz1o1
25-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Hi,

I have a pc with a Sata HDD with windows on it plus an extra Sata HDD to store all my stuff on.
Now I replaced my Sata HDD with windows on it with an ATA HDD with windows on it but I'm not sure if I plugged everything in the right way. After i thought i did, I started my pc and it gave me a black screen saying:

"The Following Configurations have been updated:
Disk: 160 GB (which is my storage Sata HDD) WDC WD1600AJS-22PSAO
IF you are running Unix, you need to configure your system using the computer setup utility (F10)

F1 Save Changes F9 Boot Menu F10 Setup F12 Network Service"

Unfortunately, whenever I try to press any of the keyboard F's nothing happens. I'm not a 100% sure if my keyboard is working but the cable is plugged in so.. HELP?!

feersumendjinn
25-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Is the ATA (PATA?) drive from another computer/chipset, or is the jumper not set to Master?

gamerz1o1
25-10-2010, 11:38 AM
It's an ATA HDD where my dad installed a new fresh windows 7 on all ready to go. but he put the Sata with windows XP on it back in and now i want to use my windows 7 ATA. It's just a normal ATA 80GB HDD. also my jumper of the ATA HDD is set to master.

feersumendjinn
25-10-2010, 11:58 AM
So was Win7 installed on the PATA drive on his computer or yours?
If his, this will not work, as he most likely has a different motherboard/chipset than yours (the install process installs different drivers for each chipset, and usually won't work/boot or crashes if you try to).

wainuitech
25-10-2010, 12:30 PM
As feersumendjinn pointed out, depending on where the W7 install was done, your Pc or another will depend on if it will boot or not, you cant install W7 on one PC then change the drive to another unless the components are very close to the same.

What you can try is this, May or may not work.

Attach ONLY the Drive with Windows 7 on it, boot from the W7 DVD, select your Country , English (New Zealand) Assuming you are in NZ - then on the next screen, bottom left, click on "Repair Your Computer" -- follow instructions through.

If it cant locate the OS then there are other things to try.

gamerz1o1
04-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't have an installation DVD (*COUGH* ;) ;) ;) ) and it works i just know it does cuz my father does it all the time so it must work, it's nothing with W7 itselfs. cud it be something with the master and the slave ?

gary67
04-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Pirating Windows is illegal and saying so on here could get you banned

Snorkbox
04-11-2010, 05:00 PM
I don't have an installation DVD (*COUGH* ;) ;) ;) ) and it works i just know it does cuz my father does it all the time so it must work, it's nothing with W7 itselfs. cud it be something with the master and the slave ?

It could be asked perhaps.

If that method of install works then why are you here?

wainuitech
04-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Pirating Windows is illegal and saying so on here could get you banned Add to that its against forum rules to help with any pirated software.

Ask your father since hes the one who appears to do it all the time.