PDA

View Full Version : Virtual box happy

gary67
24-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Have installed virtual box last week and now have the latest Linux Mint and the latest Ubuntu running. Have installed the guest additions and sorted out the issue with seeing my home network.

I must say that both Linux OS's have come along way from when I last played around with them I am quite impressed.

However will my antivirus MSE on my windows 7 (main OS) cover the two Virtual OS's or would I need to install an antivirus on them as well?

Neil McC
24-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Whenever I've played with Virtual PC in the past I've loaded and antivirus program in each virtual OS.Just like you need other programs.
Which has just reminded me to open XP mode which I haven't used for ages,and everything wants to update now!!
Anyone know if I can run Ubuntu in the XP mode on Win7Pro?

gary67
24-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Try it, it would be a worthwhile experiment. I am however not using VPC as I have Win 7 home pre. I am using virtual box and since they are Linux guests I am leaning towards not putting anti virus on them

mikebartnz
24-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Have installed virtual box last week and now have the latest Linux Mint and the latest Ubuntu running. Have installed the guest additions and sorted out the issue with seeing my home network.

I must say that both Linux OS's have come along way from when I last played around with them I am quite impressed.

However will my antivirus MSE on my windows 7 (main OS) cover the two Virtual OS's or would I need to install an antivirus on them as well?
Don't run anti-virus on my two proper linux installs but have it on one to cure windows when hit by a virus although usually use Parted Magic to do that. I do use AV on the Windows install in virtual box.

SolMiester
25-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Doubt ms security essential can examine VHd files

:pf1mobmini:

faith1806
25-10-2010, 02:17 PM
u can try to install one to anti virus, and it is worth doing in fact.

johnd
25-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I have run various distributions of Linux since 1998 and as my main OS since 2001 and have never had a virus scanner installed apart from a couple of tests I've done (nothing found). Linux is not totally immune from a virus attack - but it is fairly unlikely that you would have an issue.

gary67
25-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Doubt ms security essential can examine VHd files

:pf1mobmini:

Which is why I was asking to see if anyone had tried it or had recommendations. The only anti virus I know of for Linux is the Avast for linux

Thanks John D

pctek
25-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Linux Mint and Ubuntu
However will MSE cover the two Virtual OS's?

I think the whole point of Linux is it doesn't really need anti-malware.

gary67
25-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Yes am thinking I won't bother. Guess you still hate Auckland then pctek?

mikebartnz
25-10-2010, 07:34 PM
The only anti virus I know of for Linux is the Avast for linux

Thanks John D
ClamAV

gary67
26-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Didn't know they did a linux version I do have there portable version on my portable apps flash drive

mikebartnz
26-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Didn't know they did a linux version I do have there portable version on my portable apps flash drive
I put the latest defs on a USB drive so that I can run it from Parted Magic when someone has a virus.