PDA

View Full Version : Adopt optical drive to use for netbook

Misty
24-10-2010, 04:15 PM
If you have a netbook with no optical drive can you link the netbook to a PC or laptop and use the optical drive on the other maching to load programs etc on to the netbook. I have Photoshop Elements on DVD and want to put it onto the netbook.
Misty :illogical

PENTIUM
24-10-2010, 04:17 PM
You could, but I prefer to use an external DVD unit that feeds the netbook USB port.

Snorkbox
24-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Or put Elements on a USB flash drive.

pcuser42
24-10-2010, 04:25 PM
It depends on what you mean :nerd:

I have a secondary CD-RW drive in my desktop with a USB-IDE adaptor connected to it. The USB cable hangs out the back of the PC and plugs into the netbook. IMO it's much tidier than a dedicated external drive.

You could of course share the optical drive over a network and install it that way. :)

gary67
24-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I would try the USB method it does work and is not hard to do

Renmoo
24-10-2010, 05:08 PM
As per what above have suggested.

Alternatively is to download Elements and key in the CD-key.

Misty
24-10-2010, 05:35 PM
You could, but I prefer to use an external DVD unit that feeds the netbook USB port.
Too expensive to buy an external drive !
Misty :(

Misty
24-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Or put Elements on a USB flash drive.

When I try something like that something seems to be missed !
Misty :confused:

Misty
24-10-2010, 05:37 PM
As per what above have suggested.

Alternatively is to download Elements and key in the CD-key.
Actually I did ponder on this ! Probably the way to go !
Misty :)

Misty
24-10-2010, 05:41 PM
It depends on what you mean :nerd:

I have a secondary CD-RW drive in my desktop with a USB-IDE adaptor connected to it. The USB cable hangs out the back of the PC and plugs into the netbook. IMO it's much tidier than a dedicated external drive.

I don't have a secondary drive unfortunately ! ;)

You could of course share the optical drive over a network and install it that way. :)

Now, that would be good. A challenge for my limited skills - but possible perhaps. I might just download as suggested elsewhere and us the key.
Thanks pcuserwinvista !
Misty :)

gary67
24-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Copy the contents of the DVD to your shared folder on the desktop, connect to that folder from the netbook and run the exe file. I do that all the time and it works

Renmoo
24-10-2010, 11:04 PM
When I try something like that something seems to be missed !
Misty :confused:
1. Go to the root directory of the CD
2. Ctrl + A
3. Ctrl + C
4. Go to a folder of the USB drive
5. Ctrl + V

If that doesn't work, you might need to tick "Show hidden files and folders" under Windows explorer first prior to copying the files and folders over.

Alternatively, the command prompt way.

Assuming E: is your CD drive, and F: is your USB drive

XCOPY E:\ F:\