PDA

View Full Version : Skype: next step

Billy T
23-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Okay, I'm just about all set to go, I've signed up and downloaded but not installed yet. I've also found a straightforward looking PDF file of guidelines for setting up and using Skype (as a set of screen shots) which looks pretty good and easy to follow.

I understand that there is a setting I can use to prevent my connection from being used as a skype forwarding node (or whatever it is called) for other people's calls. Can anybody enlighten me on what and where please?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2010, 11:10 PM
This ??

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=26838

Dont know if its still the same thing tho

Tools / options / connections / untick port 80. It maybe tools / options / advanced / connection now

The Error Guy
23-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Drat, I found an app that did this about 3mths ago! can't remember what it was called! made appropriate setting changes etc.

I lost it after playing dirty with OSX (it didn't like my partition table)

Ill see if I can remember it

notechyet
24-10-2010, 06:26 AM
Morning
could it be this (https://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/twiki/view/CF/SkypeConfiguration)?

Safari
24-10-2010, 06:54 AM
What sort of speed is your broadband plan, you really need full speed up and down to get the best results.
If you want to check if sound is working ok add the Skype test call echo123 into your contact list and connect to it for a sound check.
I just leave Skype closed and have a pre arranged time for Skype calls and only open it at that time.

Safari
24-10-2010, 07:33 AM
Personally I think the supernode problem is a bit over hyped. Sure if you leave Skype on 24/7 it might be but at any one time there could be 20 million Skype users online and the chances of your connection being used is not great. Having it on for short periods waiting for a call I don't see as a problem.

wainuitech
24-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Personally I think the supernode problem is a bit over hyped. Sure if you leave Skype on 24/7 it might be but at any one time there could be 20 million Skype users online and the chances of your connection being used is not great. Having it on for short periods waiting for a call I don't see as a problem. Totally agree with those statements.:thumbs:

feersumendjinn
24-10-2010, 10:06 AM
* Any computer hosted on a network that is behind a network address translation (NAT) device or restrictive firewall will disable supernode functionality.
:D

rumpty
24-10-2010, 11:36 AM
Do you want to do a Skype test, Billy T? You can check the quality of my camera picture. Send me a PM, or whatever, if you do.

mikebartnz
24-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Personally I think the supernode problem is a bit over hyped. Sure if you leave Skype on 24/7 it might be but at any one time there could be 20 million Skype users online and the chances of your connection being used is not great. Having it on for short periods waiting for a call I don't see as a problem.
or use a firewall to block it acting as a server if you want peace of mind.

Chilling_Silence
24-10-2010, 09:06 PM
* Any computer hosted on a network that is behind a network address translation (NAT) device or restrictive firewall will disable supernode functionality.
That must have been a new addition. I knew a place with a 2 meg fibre line about 18 months ago, they were a small business with an AP (WRT54GL) running DD-WRT doing NAT and still had a machine acting as a supernode

Billy T
26-10-2010, 02:38 PM
What sort of speed is your broadband plan, you really need full speed up and down to get the best results.

If you want to check if sound is working ok add the Skype test call echo123 into your contact list and connect to it for a sound check.
I just leave Skype closed and have a pre arranged time for Skype calls and only open it at that time.

I have full speed up and down, and I'm close to the exchange <1.5km.

Re Supernode, I think I qualify for this:

"Any computer hosted on a network that is behind a network address translation (NAT) device or restrictive firewall will disable supernode functionality." in fact I know I do so that solves that problem too!

All I have to do now is know how to initiate a call, or preferably receive one and we are all set.

So, is my username all that is needed to initiate a Skype session? This is all very important because as previously mentioned all this is for my daughter to do an online interview for her University Masters Course placement in OZ and this is critical to her future career. If we stuff this up technically, the consequences for her future career could be very significant!!! :eek:

I'll go read the tutorial I found and see if I can get the answers for myself, but any helpful advice would be appreciated. I'd also like to set up a trial session with a PF1 member before I go live on her future!! Volunteers will have to be prepared to see my ugly mug and have their illusions as to what BT looks like shattered forever! I could be young, female, blonde, gorgeous and available, but I'm not.

Rumpty has already volunteered so is first on the list (watch for a PM later today Rumpty).

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

gary67
26-10-2010, 03:33 PM
there is a Skype button under my Avatar if it green click it to skype me if it is green with a pair of hands I'm away from the computer I'll pm my skype name