PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Laptop Overseas

Genb
23-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Hey guys looking at getting a new laptop for gaming and school, we use 3D rendering programs like Maya so I would prefer a bit of power.

I am willing to spend about $2000 and am currently looking at getting the ASUS G73JW-XA1 17.3-Inch Gaming Laptop as I have heard some good things it has more than enough power for what I want to do and is about $2000 NZ.

The problem is that I cant find it anywhere other than online stores in America and I am awhere there can be problems with importing eg. damage, power supplys being diffirent, customs duty tax etc.

anyone have any advice or seen this laptop cheap in NZ?

Also anyone bought online from dell? I have been looking at thier laptops and they seem pretty powerfull for the price.

Nomad
23-10-2010, 01:00 PM
In NZ look at ascent.co.nz, they prob not the cheapest but trustworthy, Dick Smiths and Harvey Norman and Noel Leeming may have good prices too when they have specials.

I have bought from Dell, not laptops, they send it to you from Malaysia I think within a week to your door, no tax etc .. I have dealt with warranty, been punctual etc .. I had a replacement, shipped to me within 24hr and a postal sticker sticker provided for the old one to be returned.

Importing is a personal risk you take.
Question, does the laptop you want have a international warranty? Many do not and you need to ship it back overseas at your expense and pay return postal.

Also note that, when it comes into NZ border it will be taxed at 15% before it is released to you unless the seller has some dodgy practices like purposely undervaluing. When they calculate the amount it is the merchandise cost + the delivery cost - converted to NZD then times 0.15 (15%). If it is $50NZ or more it will be taxed and placed in hold at the International Airport before it is released to you.

I've bought stuff from reputable stores in the USA for my photog .. and have been taxed in the past and other times I have just bought them in 2 batches or wait till I go overseas so I could take it back with me as a used laptop. PS. Trustworthy stores will declare everything in the customs form, and they will put a copy of your receipt in the "parcel sleeve" as well as one copy in the box for you.

Power supply. Don't sweet it. Laptops are made for travelling professionals. Like digital cameras they support 100-240V auto switching. All you need is a travel adaptor. PS. I have been taxed before when I bought a used laptop from the states. :lol: Possible freight damage? I guess that's a question for the courier company, it should be insured, but I guess if the seller is dodgy and undervalue, if it gets damaged then obviously the carrier will only pay for what it was declared for. :D

Genb
23-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Wow thanks for the great reply that pretty much answers most of my questions.

Nomad
23-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Again it depends how they declare the merchandise. Trustworthy stores will abide by the law and also for your protection, they declare fully incase you need insurance.

If you buy on eBay used it might be different.

8ftmetalhaed
23-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I just can't believe how much is charged on import tax. I knew it was high but not exactly HOW high. That's like, high as a kite kind of high.

No WONDER there's no market for anything here when they're charged that much to bring stuff into the country. I mean christ it's like they're saying 'hey, keep your technology out of our country. We don't want it here'.

Erayd
23-10-2010, 03:29 PM
I just can't believe how much is charged on import tax. I knew it was high but not exactly HOW high. That's like, high as a kite kind of high.Huh? No it ain't... that 15% is just GST. It's no different to what you'd pay if you bought it from a local retailer.

8ftmetalhaed
23-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Yes but purchased from outside of the country? You have to pay to bring your own things here and then pay to get them out of the mailbox. now THAT's ridiculous.

Erayd
23-10-2010, 04:31 PM
Yes but purchased from outside of the country? You have to pay to bring your own things here and then pay to get them out of the mailbox. now THAT's ridiculous.You're missing the point. Anything sold to somebody in NZ is subject to a good and services tax of 15%; it's nothing to do with paying twice for anything.

If the retailer is already based here, they advertise the GST-inclusive price. They then pass on 15% of whatever you paid for the thing directly to the IRD, and thus the NZ government's coffers.

If you buy from a retailer based overseas, they're not expected to know the ins and outs of NZ law, and are not expected to act as a middleman for the IRD in the way that NZ-based retailers do. Instead, customs does this job - hence why they charge you 15% of whatever you decide to import.

If the resulting bill is under $60, you're not required to pay anything - this saves wasting staff time on trivial amounts. As a nice side effect, it often means that low-value items can be cheaper to import than buying them locally.

As you can see, there's no real difference - the only difference between buying something here and buying something overseas is where in the chain that 15% is collected - in both cases, you still have to pay it.

kahawai chaser
23-10-2010, 05:02 PM
When I brought watches > $200 and other similar or higher priced items of eBay, sometimes the package would arrive labeled as a "calculator".

Also there are bank and currency conversion rate charges, I think about 3% in total. So if using a credit/debit card, might pay to check it's rates, and also the bank rate. Then there is insurance (or should be), and various shipping charges, depending how quick you want the item.

Might pay to check if laptops are not refurbished.

trinsic
23-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Just to chime in on what Nomad said.

ASUS generally provide a Global warranty with their laptops, especially with their high end ones like the one in the OP. But check just in case because Laptops are AIO devices which means you generally cannot fix it yourself or get things replaced easily. There are local repair shops as well for warranty to save having to send it back overseas.

About importing. The new limit is $60, not $50 due to the increase in GST. However this total price includes not only the item being sent but the shipping on it as well (so stay under $400NZD and you wont be taxed). You'll also be charged around $50 for other misc fees like levy and transaction fee.