PDA

View Full Version : Shadow copy –Explanation for dummies please

ktee
22-10-2010, 03:21 PM
I am trying to understand backup system, alas getting more and more confused. I have Vista home premium. It does not do Complete Backup but does File Backup. So far I’ve worked out.

File Backup uses VSS and stores files into a Zip
VSS = (Shadow Copy (Volume Snapshot Service or Volume Shadow Copy Service or VSS).
Now I looked at under “Administer :Command Prompt”, type in vssadmin list shadow storage, it says
Used Shadow Copy Storage space 33GB
Allocated Shadow Storage space 34.1GB
Maxium Shadow Storage space 34.9GB

So I have a shadow copy and I can only use it for File Backup.

But websites for Backup features in various editions of Vista say for Home premium -
“ Complete backup no” (okay understand that)
“Shadow Copy (restore previous versions of your documents) No”
Another Window's site has also got no ticks For “Shadow copy under Home Premium”

I confused about this shadow copy thing, Ive obviously got it, why does it say I haven’t

pctek
22-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Buy an external hard drive.
Download Syncback. Use it to create a simple one click process for backing up your personal files to the external.

Then go get an imaging program, make an image of C: and back that up to the external too.

There - all safe and protected and stuff Micrososfts crap methods.

ktee
22-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes I was going to do that eventually but want to do some backups before I change fans, then get external hard disk. But surely Vistas File backup will works???
I just want a bit of explanation about this shadow copy. Was thinking maybe theyre saying not there for Premium cause not for Complete Backup.
Unfortunately I one of those people who has to understand something, I cant just "do it".
Which of course means considerable time....

If there was a course for these things Id go on it. Cause everytime I follow instructions from a site or book, it is either not the same or doesnt work

22-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I just want a bit of explanation about this shadow copy.
Unfortunately I one of those people who has to understand something, I cant just "do it".
Which of course means considerable time....

fair enough, you as asked for it :thumbs:
start here :D
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc738819%28WS.10%29.aspx

then here
http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_use_the_shadow_copy_client.htm

Actually this link is better suited for you
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy#Use_by_Windows_components

I wouldnt trust Vista built in backup with my data. I think the Vista Pro & Vista Home had differing built-in MS backups (??)
May sure you can actually pick the directories youself & dont have to rely on a Vista Backup's educated guess

BBCmicro
22-10-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm confused by Vista backup too.

I used an external imaging program but it produced a huge file (100 GB) even when user data and pagefile.sys were excluded. I think most of the bloat was Shadow Copy/VSS. Clearing system restore (ie, deleting all my daughter's restore points) didn't seem to be a good option. The idea is to exclude the bloat from the backup, not delete it

ktee
22-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Ta, I 'll finish printing out and underlining all the others Ive got up first. Got the last one already.
So I suppose I'll just have to give up trying to understand why Vista states it doesn't have a shadow copy for Premium when it does.
BBcmicro, what version Vista you got??