PDA

View Full Version : Newly built PC won't bootg

lostsoul62
22-10-2010, 12:53 PM
I'm 63 and my memory isn't that good plus I haven't built a system in almost 3years. I turn my computer on and I get power to the motherboard and I have my video card plug into the power supply. I only have my New WD hard drive hook up to my SATA and I tried 3 SATA ports and I can't get it to boot. Now I only have my Power SW from the case to the motherboard so do I NEED to hook something else up? I pulled my power cord and SATA and reinstalled them. I'm an old man with anxiety so any help would be great. I spent $1,000 on building this system and I just have to get it running. To think I use to do this for a living and now I can't even get my Computer to get past the POST and I have nothing on my screen except a green light. Oh yea I have my DDR3 RAM in Slot 1 and 2 so that's ok.

Speedy Gonzales
22-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Is there anything on the hdd? Did you install windows on it?

fred_fish
22-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Does it POST?
If so, any error msg?
If not, any beeps?

forrest44
22-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Try with 1 stick of ram at a time. (One may be faulty). Try each slot. What beeps does it make, if any? Do you have the 12v 4 pin CPU power connector plugged in (in addition to the main 24 pin one)?

pctek
22-10-2010, 02:04 PM
[QUOTE=lostsoul62;959959] To think I use to do this for a living and now I can't even get my Computer to get past the POST QUOTE]

LOL. WE have all had similar situations. Inc me, and I'm a tech. Hah. It's not permitted really is it, our hardware should behave it self and not do these things to us.

Basic troubleshooting.
Are all the parts new? Including the PSU?
You have the 4pin (or 8pin) CPU power cable connected to the motherboard as well as the main 24pin cable?

The RAM modules are in the right 2 slots?

Tried each RAM module i at a time - in case one is dead?

Did anything power on,. like did you hear anything happening at all? Or zilch......

It did POST I gather or did it not even POST at all? Can you get into the BIOS or not even that far?

lostsoul62
22-10-2010, 02:57 PM
The Hard Drive is NEW
No it don't POST, No screen
I tried one stick on RAM at a time
The 4 pin CPU power cable - Do you mean the CPU fan?
RAM is where the motherboard said slot 1 & 2

It won't shut off so I have to turn it off on the power supply
I'm going to call the video people up tomorrow and make sure I have the right connection
I think I have to put more stuff on the motherboard, I only have power SW

22-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Now I only have my Power SW from the case to the motherboard so do I NEED.....

sounds like you're doing everything right. Try removing that cable & use a paper clip/screwdriver across the 2 pins to start it.
Pull the board from the case & sit it on the bench, may be shorting underneath, its easy to get the case/mb standoffs in the wrong place.
Try another power supply , if possible.

Does the power supply actually start up when you press the case(mb) power switch??

pctek
22-10-2010, 03:24 PM
The 4 pin CPU power cable - Do you mean the CPU fan?

No, I mean the 4pin (or depending on MB, 8pin) connector on the motherboard - over near the CPU. This is essential or the PC won't boot.

Is this an iold PSU you are using? If so, get a new one.

lostsoul62
22-10-2010, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=pctek;960008]No, I mean the 4pin (or depending on MB, 8pin) connector on the motherboard - over near the CPU. This is essential or the PC won't boot.

Thank you very much. I found it and put power to it and now it is booting. Thanks a lot. Another thing I learn today about the new computers.

Paul.Cov
22-10-2010, 08:51 PM
There's no shame in overlooking that little 4 pin plug. Very easy to miss among all the cable clutter from the PSU.

Nice that it wasn't a dud hardware isue.
Hope you enjoy your new kit!

feersumendjinn
22-10-2010, 09:20 PM
The RAM modules are in the right 2 slots?

RAM is where the motherboard (manual?) said, slot 1 & 2
How many ram slots do you have? What is your motherboard brand/model?
If you've got 2 ram slots only on the board and they are filled, you're ok, but if you have more, you may need to reorganise them to enable dual channel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual-channel_architecture
or triple channel ram operation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-channel_architecture

PeeCeeWorldly
23-10-2010, 12:19 PM
You could try running ubuntu or knoppix from the dvd (without attempting to install to HDD).....

8ftmetalhaed
23-10-2010, 01:08 PM
the problem has been solved sillies. He was missing the 4pin power plug next to the cpu.

feersumendjinn
23-10-2010, 03:06 PM
the problem has been solved sillies. He was missing the 4pin power plug next to the cpu.
I KNOW that, my post is about another possible problem. ;)