PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 PC won't always wake from sleep

phijoa
22-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I have a new (April '10) Windows 7 PC that has recently developed an intermittent problem. It won't always wake from hibernation. Clicking the mouse or hitting a key will wake the screen - but only to show the screen logo while the PC remains asleep. Turning the PC off and on again doesn't help. Sometimes the key board lights up and the power light comes on and I can hear the hard drive start but the screen remains blank. Other times the ASUS motherboard start screen appears but the keyboard commands don't work. Previously I thought it might have been a graphics card issue and reseated it in another slot. After that I got the setup screen and windows started. Today when it wouldn't wake and after various attempts to restart I left the PC stuck on the ASUS start screen and returned a while later to find the PC in hibernation. When I tried waking it I found it had loaded Windows and programs to where it had been before getting stuck in hibernation. After the first time I ran full virus checks and found nothing.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

feersumendjinn
22-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Does it still do it if you start in safe mode (press F8 while booting)?
Possible motherboard (maybe a BIOS update may help)/ram/HDD fault?
Brand name computer? I'd take it back if I was you.

DaveBritton
23-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Maybe a problem with the bootloader? I had issues when using Grub and windows hibernation together. Maybe it's worth using your windows disc to repair the installation.

phijoa
26-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Does it still do it if you start in safe mode (press F8 while booting)?
Possible motherboard (maybe a BIOS update may help)/ram/HDD fault?
Brand name computer? I'd take it back if I was you.

Hi, Thanks for your response. Pressing F8 while booting doesn't work. The situation has degenerated. Now even when I close down properly when I go to boot the system it hangs at the Asus motherboard screen. That screen does offer some commands including F8 for the boot menu. It stays on that screen regardless of command selection for about 10 minutes and if left without a command will then go blank for about 10 minutes before starting windows which takes another 10 minutes. Selecting F8 and then the hard drive then starts loading windows quicker (about 3 minutes) but the "starting windows" screen still lasts about 10 minutes as well.
Sorry I'm pretty ignorant of computers. I built this one going by the PC World buyers guide and just followed the instructions. It's been fine up until now.

I'd appreciate any further suggestions but I'll try that BIOS update.
Thanks Phillip.

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Kill hibernation. Whats the model of the mobo?

phijoa
26-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Kill hibernation. Whats the model of the mobo?

Mobo Asus P6X58D-E

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Have a read of the forum

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P6X58D-E&board_id=1

Is it 32 or 64 bit?

When you say but only to show the screen logo while the PC remains asleep

What screen logo? You mean the desktop background / wallpaper? Are you in NZ or somewhere else?

Snorkbox
26-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Speedy,

On my Asus board you can show the Asus Logo or not. Change this in the BIOS. It hides/covers what goes on during booting so that is why I chose not to show same.

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Ah that logo . I know what that is. Why would that show when it hibernates tho? If youre meant to be in windows?

Snorkbox
26-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Good question to which I don't have an answer apart from the fact it may actually be rebooting when coming out of hibernation.

Personally I refuse to use Hiber or sleep and only power down the Monitor after 1 hour not used.

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Ah ok. Well this may fix that

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20101024121534291&board_id=1&model=P6X58D-E&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Altho. I dont know if he's giving the answer, or asking a ? Same here, I'm not going to waste 4 GB using hibernation. I've disabled it on these

phijoa
26-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Have a read of the forum

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P6X58D-E&board_id=1

Is it 32 or 64 bit?

When you say but only to show the screen logo while the PC remains asleep

What screen logo? You mean the desktop background / wallpaper? Are you in NZ or somewhere else?

Thanks - I'll read through the forum.

Screen logo when hibernating - to clarify: the screen woke up but PC didn't so just showed the Samsung monitor Analog/HDMI alternating logo.

I using Windows 7 64 bit. Yes I'm in NZ.

Thanks

phijoa
26-10-2010, 09:57 PM
Ah that logo . I know what that is. Why would that show when it hibernates tho? If youre meant to be in windows?

Sorry - I didn't explain well. Becaus it wouldn't come out of hibernation I ended up just cutting the power and trying to reboot - it was when I was trying to reboot that the mobo logo screen appeared.

Snorkbox
26-10-2010, 10:03 PM
So that's why the logo then. It was rebooted.

phijoa
26-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Ah ok. Well this may fix that

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20101024121534291&board_id=1&model=P6X58D-E&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Altho. I dont know if he's giving the answer, or asking a ? Same here, I'm not going to waste 4 GB using hibernation. I've disabled it on these

I've gone to S3 only in the Power settings but still staring at that Asus mobo screen! How do I disable that? Thanks

Snorkbox
26-10-2010, 10:14 PM
To disable the Logo go into BIOS then the BOOT TAB and second to the bottom on my Asus board disable full screen logo.

Speedy Gonzales
26-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Sorry - I didn't explain well. Becaus it wouldn't come out of hibernation I ended up just cutting the power and trying to reboot - it was when I was trying to reboot that the mobo logo screen appeared.

Not a good idea, to do that too often, you'll corrupt the files on the hdd (if youre pulling the plug out). Umm I could check event viewer or elsewhere if you want with teamviewer. It may show something

SolMiester
27-10-2010, 10:44 AM
Sounds like the GPU driver isnt waking up from sleep\hibernation.....Do you use windows update and allow driver updates?

phijoa
27-10-2010, 10:54 AM
To disable the Logo go into BIOS then the BOOT TAB and second to the bottom on my Asus board disable full screen logo.

Found it and found the problem. Removing the Asus screen showed that it was getting snagged detecting my USB backup drive. I disconnected the drive and now it boots fine.

Would detecting the backup drive have caused the original hibernation wake up problem?

I've had the backup drive connected without problems until now - is there some I can do to keep it plugged in as before (it's loaded with Rebit and I'd like to keep it plugged in).

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Snorkbox
27-10-2010, 11:06 AM
So is the data on the USB drive OK and can you acccess it after you boot and then plug it in?

SolMiester
27-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Found it and found the problem. Removing the Asus screen showed that it was getting snagged detecting my USB backup drive. I disconnected the drive and now it boots fine.

Would detecting the backup drive have caused the original hibernation wake up problem?

I've had the backup drive connected without problems until now - is there some I can do to keep it plugged in as before (it's loaded with Rebit and I'd like to keep it plugged in).

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Remove USB Boot from the boot options in the BIOS

phijoa
27-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Remove USB Boot from the boot options in the BIOS

All back to normal! I really appreciate all the help. Thanks!