PDA

View Full Version : Commputer won't boot: only fans work

david1000
22-10-2010, 10:07 AM
My computer won't boot. When I turn it on, only the fans work. I occassionly get a very minor bit of disc activity.

When I turn the computer on, I don't get anything on the screen and no peeps.

I have tried a new screen, clearing the cmos and have tested the power supply - all voltages within tolerance. I don't have a graphics card.

Any ideas as to the problem? All I can think of is that either the CPU has failed or the motherboard has failed.

wratterus
22-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Could be a few things.

A good thing to try is, with the PC powered off, pull out the RAM and then power it on - it should beep. If there is still no beep, then it isn't looking very good.

david1000
22-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I removed the RAM as suggested, turned on the computer and it beeped . Reinstalled the RAM. The computer beeped when I ran it. Reassembled the computer and still OK. Connected up a couple of drives that I had unplugged and tidied up the cables. Computer will now not boot so I am back to square one.

forrest44
22-10-2010, 02:05 PM
Sounds like a faulty HDD or PSU. Mind you, dodgy PSU's can quite often cause HDD's to go bad (and people blame the HDD manufacturers...)...

22-10-2010, 03:09 PM
how old is it, what make & model.
A bad motherboard,or bad PSU could give those results, ie only work intermittently, MIGHT be coincidence with the HD (??)
Does it turn on consistently without the HD & HD cables plugged in ??

pctek
22-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Reinstalled the RAM. The computer beeped when I ran it. Computer will now not boot so I am back to square one.

It beeped with the RAM back in? Either it wasn't seated right, the Graphics has a problem or the MB.
What beeps exactly?