Thomas01
22-10-2010, 08:34 AM
When I boot my laptop now I get a messages that

Please wait while Windows configures FAX

Windows is preparing to install...

Please wait while ....

The feature is on a CD-ROM or other....
Insert Fax disk and click OK

The trouble is I have never used the FAX feature on any of my computers - do not want it and have never requested it.

I did have the Oct PC disk in the thing - could this have started the problem.
I get rid of it by canceling it about three times before it goes - and it informs me that Error 1706 is present.
Running XP

How do I get rid of this unwanted set of messages?
Tom

Thomas01
22-10-2010, 08:44 PM
Wow - no answers.
Either my request was too badly worded (agreed) or the thing was too simple to waste time on.
Also yes.
I simply used the RESTORE command back to about a week and the fault cleared up.
To be honest I didn't think it would be that simple.
Tom
PS Anybody got any ideas how to stop the aftershocks here in the shaky city?

feersumendjinn
22-10-2010, 09:07 PM
This can be handy for stopping/removing random startup stuff
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Speedy Gonzales
22-10-2010, 09:12 PM
There's probably something in startup.Looks like it may have something to do with Office

Burnzee
22-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi Thomas01

Goto giveawayoftheday.com (http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/). The program today is STARTUP DEFENDER. This will help you trace the problem in your boot sequence. You only have about twenty two hours to download and install it. It's free at the moment.:thumbs:

BURNZEE

Thomas01
23-10-2010, 09:26 AM
There's probably something in startup.Looks like it may have something to do with Office

Interesting - I avoid office like the plague. Much happier with MSWorks which has ample power for people like me and in fact enables me to write databases and spreadsheets much faster than in Office. Mind you I take care to stay with the 1997 version of MSWorks.

However I do use Office on the odd occasion when I need to put a spreadsheet or photo or something in a document and MSWorks cannot handle it. That's rare though and I don't remember doing it for ages. And certainly never on my laptop.
Puzzling.
Tom

SP8's
23-10-2010, 11:56 AM
PS Anybody got any ideas how to stop the aftershocks here in the shaky city?

Nope ... but Bob Parker is asking Pita Sharples for his blankets and muskets back .... the land is faulty :D

Snorkbox
23-10-2010, 12:05 PM
You could have just fed it the XP CD.

Thomas01
23-10-2010, 07:47 PM
You could have just fed it the XP CD.

Tried that.
Didn't work

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Post a HJT log so we can see whats in startup

Thomas01
24-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Post a HJT log so we can see whats in startup

Thanks Speedy but as I mentioned in my second note in this thread the problem has been cured already by using RESTORE.
Anyway my laptop is never used to connect to the internet - yes I know that's a bit weird. But then that's me!
Tom