PDA

View Full Version : Backup to another Drive??

lostsoul62
21-10-2010, 04:00 PM
I tried to put my C drive backup into another drive on my computer. Both are SATA. I pulled my original Hard Drive out, rebooted and it said NTLDR is missing. So I put my original Hard Drive back in, rebooted and no screen and then in about 15 second it turned off. I open up my computer and disconnected my second drive where I put in my backup to make it my C drive and rebooted and everything is fine. So I can't make an image on my C drive then recover it in my D drive take the C drive out and reboot the computer on my new drive. So what did I do wrong?

21-10-2010, 04:25 PM
huh ?

Try a disk clone utilty (be carefull)
Maxblast(cutdown version of Acronus) is excellent but 1 drive needs to be seagate/maxstore
This would not be a practical way for ongoing data backup

wainuitech
21-10-2010, 04:48 PM
What OS are you using ?

If you are using Windows 7, some cloning software cant do it, as it wont copy the hidden boot partition.

Acronis is good for screwing this up.

lostsoul62
21-10-2010, 04:50 PM
I'm using Acronis and I have 2 seagate SATA drive and I'm trying to make my 2rd drive the boot drive so I can take my C drive out for another computer.

lostsoul62
21-10-2010, 05:20 PM
If you are using Windows 7, some cloning software cant do it, as it wont copy the hidden boot partition.

Acronis is good for screwing this up.[/QUOTE]

I'm using Windows 7 and your right because it says I'm missing NTLDR and I had this problem before but forgot how I fix it.

Snorkbox
21-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Download Seagate Diskwizard. Install same. Run same. Make a Boot CD.

Boot off the CD, Clone C to D. Remove C:

wainuitech
21-10-2010, 06:19 PM
What happens is Windows 7 when installed creates a hidden partition of around 200MB, that includes the boot up files.

Some cloning software wont bring it across so you end up with a part clone.

Acronis can clone partitions but when doing W7 it often wont bring the Hidden one, even though it is shown. You need software that brings the whole drive.

If you have cloned and you are getting the boot error, run the W7 DVD, tell it to fix the PC - it will reload the files that were missed.

These days I use Active@disk Image it gives the option to select the whole Drive or just single partitions Example. (http://www.disk-image.net/scr_disks.htm) If you look at the Picture, Disk 1, notice it has two partitions, but only 1 is selected so only the first Partition would be cloned.

mrfied
21-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Seagate Disc Wizard has the same restriction as MaxBlast - must be a Seagate or Maxtor drive.

However refer to: http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=Discwizard&thread.id=264
and the restriction can be bypassed. Worked for me earlier this year.

Snorkbox
21-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Seagate Disc Wizard has the same restriction as MaxBlast - must be a Seagate or Maxtor drive.

However refer to: http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=Discwizard&thread.id=264
and the restriction can be bypassed. Worked for me earlier this year.

In post #4 the OP says he has 2 Seagate hard drives.

mrfied
21-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Snorkbox. Correct, but I was responding to 1101's comment as I thought what I provided might help on the general subject matter. Bit of lee-way for a newbie?

The environment I ran it in was XP.

wainuitech
21-10-2010, 08:48 PM
The environment I ran it in was XP. XP and W7 are different.

XP has normally only one partition when installing. Windows 7 has two by default, ones hidden, and many cloning programs fall short of doing the job correctly when dealing with Windows 7, including Seagate Disc Wizard Which a part of Acronis software.

gary67
21-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I can second what Wainuitech says most of the backup software doesn't do Win7 properly I know this from personal experience which cost me a complete reinstall luckily I had all my data backup in folder form as well as in an image which failed