PDA

View Full Version : itouch from overseas

Parry
21-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Hi, Im thinking of purchasing an Itouch from overseas as I can get it cheaper than in NZ. Are there any gotcha's with this, such as the ability to connect to the net via NZ providers etc?

Cheers,
Graham

Chilling_Silence
21-10-2010, 12:32 PM
The iTouch doesn't go online via 3G so yeah, it'll be fine ;)

Erayd
21-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Only gotchas are with the warranty really - if you import the thing, the CGA doesn't apply, and you're stuck with whatever warranty the vendor decides to give you, if any. Note also that if you're over the $50 tax threshold you'll have to pay GST on it as well - the iPod plus shipping costs could quite easily go over that cap.

sahilcc7
21-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I got mine from hong kong. It was a 3rd Gen and it came with 1 year apple warranty. You dont need to worry about warranty on it because you put the serial number on their website and it shows how much warranty you have left. I got it for $285 NZD at the time in NZ it was $340...

:pf1mobmini:

Erayd
21-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Except that in New Zealand, the CGA applies, which means that whatever Apple's warranty says, they have to make sure it gives you good and reliable service for a damn sight longer than a year. If it breaks, the retailer gets to fix or replace it at their expense.

If you import it, you're limited to whatever warranty the retailer and / or Apple decides to give you - which will in most cases be just one year.

Nomad
22-10-2010, 06:26 PM
I am not familiar with Apple products, check out if the warranty is international ...

Many manufacturers these days have limited them to country of purchase. You can however send them back to the service centre of the country of purchase at your own cost and pay also for return postal which they may invoice you.

Make sure you understand this, then it's a personal decision, I import many times and take a bet, I have also sent stuff back overseas for warranty.