PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Cato
20-10-2010, 08:39 PM
So time for a new lappy tappy.

I have been looking closely at the HD Envy 15" or a Macbook Pro 15.
Anyone have any experience with either?

How is Mac support?
Is their build quality and support worth the price for an slightly inferior machine?

Are macbooks upgradeable or are they sealed to prevent that sort of thing?

Macbooks don't have HDMI output... They have mini display, would I have to buy a converter to get HDMI or will it be supplied?

Also, how does the macbook's touchpad work under windows and Linux without a right click button? Is that just an annoyance?

Also, it's a bit of a joke that a laptop that would cost me 999 in the US, costs me 3k here. Would it be worth it getting someone to buy it there and mail it to me?
Would probably be cheaper even if I paid for the import duty. Any thoughts?

Is there anything else in the same price range that's as good or better?

AFAIK neither have inbuilt mobile broadband cards, could I use non telecon/vodafone PC cards to access their networks (obviously with their respective simcards? and their frequencies) or are they resiricted?
Are there cards/dongles that work on both networks?

Will retailers like like B&B, DSE, HN, et al, match the prices of other more "specialized" stores? (think pricespy)

xyz823
20-10-2010, 08:43 PM
HP Envy.

Love my HP, will probably upgrade when I head to to uni in 2012. Although I am looking at getting a macbook air (the rumored 11.6" ones) if/when they get released.

davidmmac
20-10-2010, 08:53 PM

From what I've read Macbook CPU's are soldered into the motherboard making them nearly impossible to replace. :badpc:

You shold be able to upgrade the HDD and RAM though.

Chilling_Silence
21-10-2010, 05:19 AM
How is Mac support?
Is their build quality and support worth the price for an slightly inferior machine?
Surprisingly good. A lot of things these days support both Windows and OSX, if not also Linux. Besides, for most people, almost everything is done in the browser.
I've put Win7 on mine, I was "over" OSX pretty quick. Don't get me wrong, it was insanely fast and the power management on the Macbook was top-notch, but some things just really annoyed me, like multi-monitors and having the toolbar always on the primary monitor.

Yeah it's fine, I've got a Macbook from the start of this year, the bottom is one great big unit that you can unscrew.

Macbooks don't have HDMI output... They have mini display, would I have to buy a converter to get HDMI or will it be supplied?

Also, how does the macbook's touchpad work under windows and Linux without a right click button? Is that just an annoyance?
You can get a mini displayport -> HDMI adapter as I did from PBTech for around $25?
Works fine in Windows / Linux, just get a USB mouse otherwise. In windows you can install the Bootcamp drivers and it allows you to then right-click.

Also, it's a bit of a joke that a laptop that would cost me 999 in the US, costs me 3k here. Would it be worth it getting someone to buy it there and mail it to me?
Would probably be cheaper even if I paid for the import duty. Any thoughts?
Sure, why not? Might just need to get an adapter for the power, but you can change the "head" on them by buying any sort of standalone iPod / iPhone power charger, so it matches the NZ sockets.

Is there anything else in the same price range that's as good or better?
I didn't bother with the extra 2" and the metalic finish, I wanted the 13" screen, so I went with the Macbook.
In terms of build quality, and battery life (Especially with OSX, Power management isn't as good in Windows 7), they are top of the line!

AFAIK neither have inbuilt mobile broadband cards, could I use non telecon/vodafone PC cards to access their networks (obviously with their respective simcards? and their frequencies) or are they resiricted?
Are there cards/dongles that work on both networks?
Yes I've used my XT Data card in both OSX and Win7 on them just fine. Just plug it in via USB and you're away (In Win7). In OSX I grabbed the 1MB app off the manufacturer homepage.

Will retailers like like B&B, DSE, HN, et al, match the prices of other more "specialized" stores? (think pricespy)
DSE do to a certain degree. It can't hurt to ask, right? :)

Safari
21-10-2010, 07:40 AM
A bit off topic but something new for Mac desktops and laptops
Apple launches Mac App Store
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8076857/Apple-launches-Mac-App-Store.html

icow
21-10-2010, 02:48 PM

Build quality is very good and you get a 3 year warranty with 1 year of free tech support over the phone (and they're made out of the best parts mine is 3 years old and you can still by windows based laptops that have specs that are nowhere near as good)
Yes (upgrade)
Yes
ctrl-click or one finger on trackpad and click (works really well surprisingly) If your running windows Apple supplies drivers on your OSX disk that probably have right click support.

Last time I checked noel lemming and dse (surprisingly) were cheapest for their macs, if your you know someone who is a student or you are a student noel lemming ran a promotion that had a 10% markup on wholesale of macs once if they ran it again good for you :)

Apple seems to be focusing heavily on windows support at the moment.

You might want to look at this: http://www.pcworld.com/article/136649-3/in_pictures_the_most_notable_notebooks_of_2007.htm l

BTW 1) Steam came out on mac so you can all of your favorite games

BTW 2) 25% of all hp laptops/netbooks will fail (completely) within warranty period.

Cato
21-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks Chill!

Works fine in Windows / Linux, just get a USB mouse otherwise. In windows you can install the Bootcamp drivers and it allows you to then right-click.

Can you install said drivers in Linux and have right click? Are there open source drivers for it out of the box?

Sure, why not? Might just need to get an adapter for the power, but you can change the "head" on them by buying any sort of standalone iPod / iPhone power charger, so it matches the NZ sockets.
I'm afraid of going out spending money and something will die and I'll have to buy a new one locally...
Interestingly my current HP charger is rated at 100-240V, your macbook charger wouldn't say anything like that on it, would it?

What kind of realistic battery life would i be looking at?

I didn't bother with the extra 2" and the metalic finish, I wanted the 13" screen, so I went with the Macbook.
In terms of build quality, and battery life (Especially with OSX, Power management isn't as good in Windows 7), they are top of the line!

I have been a 13" user for a while, but they seem to get very hot very quick, i can see things being worse with a metallic chassis?
And you said you didn't like multi monitor in OSX? Why so?

icow
21-10-2010, 03:02 PM
8-9 light usage on battery (apple specs) so really about 6-7 mod-heavy usage. Mine did 5 hours brand new heavy usage and still does 2:30+ (considering it was charged and discharged everyday the quality of the batteries is very very good.

I used a 17" and it didn't get that hot (at least not as hot as my macbook gee-whiz).

Cato
21-10-2010, 03:09 PM
8-9 light usage on battery (apple specs) so really about 6-7 mod-heavy usage. Mine did 5 hours brand new heavy usage and still does 2:30+ (considering it was charged and discharged everyday the quality of the batteries is very very good.

8-9 hours?!!
That's brilliant! I can't even get an hour off my current laptop...
(You aren't an apple employee are ya? :p)

Another question, do SSDs improve battery life and is the performance worth the price?

icow
21-10-2010, 03:12 PM
You aren't an apple employee are ya? :P
I wish :lol:

dunno about ssd as i have a standard old sata.
Try here maybe: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

Pics= standard power settings

Cato
21-10-2010, 03:14 PM
How would your rate the quality of the speakers?

icow
21-10-2010, 03:18 PM
How would your rate the quality of the speakers?

from my macbook I have seen better (i'd say av to good) but it music that has left right speaker encoding does sound cool :P

Music quality is good it just depends how loud you like it.

Can you install said drivers in Linux and have right click? Are there open source drivers for it out of the box?

know that the windows drivers are on the disk not sure about linux. From experience the macbook trackpad is sluggish on liux but you can tweak it in the settings and so on.

icow
21-10-2010, 03:23 PM
If money is no object then search XC6498 on the dse site and you'll find an i7 beast. XD

Cato
21-10-2010, 04:09 PM
If money is no object then search XC6498 on the dse site and you'll find an i7 beast. XD

$999 USD for a better spec HP Envy in the US. This is what's killing me.

I mean for the same price I could fly to the US, hang out there for a week or two, buy it there and come back. At least I get to see the world that way. :(
Makes my blood boil.

icow
21-10-2010, 05:58 PM
what spec is the evny @?

BTW: You could go second-hand macs go quite cheap: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple/Laptops/auction-325894397.htm or one missing key but better spec: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple/Laptops/auction-325509891.htm

Or you could grease up SurferJoe to send one to you :lol:

utopian201
22-10-2010, 10:08 AM
Macbooks are premium notebooks and there are very few comparable windows notebooks such as the envy.

Its such a shame, since is it really that hard for a PC manufacturer to make something comparable? It seems they are all trying to use the cheapest components in a race to the bottom.

You could also consider HP's business notebooks, some can be configured with built in 3g. Their elitebooks and probooks are well made.

Chilling_Silence
22-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Yeah the battery life for me was definitely better in OSX than in Win7. Trackpad ran better in OSX than in Win7 with the Bootcamp drivers, but it's still pretty good, and it enables the right-click too!

Battery life though, I played two long games of DotA and quit, only to realize I'd been playing on battery one morning (Forgot to plug it in), and it was still over 50% battery life after ~2hrs gaming, so yeah, it's pretty damn good!! :D

Multi-monitor is retarded. I'm working away on a window in the secondary monitor to the right, and if I wanted to do something like "Save As" to use a different filename, then I have to move my mouse up to the top-left hand corner of the left screen, because the Toolbar always stays in the primary monitor. Other minor annoyances like that. I don't really care much these days what OS I use, windows / linux / OSX, as long as I can load Chrome I'm usually happy ;)

No idea about linux driver support to be honest, have only ever used command line in Linux from the Macbook.

You can buy power supplies for them locally from the likes of PBTech if you really want?

Cato
22-10-2010, 06:07 PM
what spec is the evny @?

BTW: You could go second-hand macs go quite cheap: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple/Laptops/auction-325894397.htm or one missing key but better spec: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple/Laptops/auction-325509891.htm

Or you could grease up SurferJoe to send one to you :lol:

http://www.staples.com/HP-Envy-14-1110NR-14.5-Laptop/product_905576?cmArea=SEARCH
(Newer model, slightly better specs)
And locally:

http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/computers/notebook-computers/pc-notebook-computers/hp-envy-14-1013tx-carbon-relic-brushed-aluminium-notebook/prod105132.html

That's a fairly big difference isn't it?