PDA

View Full Version : Network security key

Magpie
20-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi,

How do i change the network security key in windows 7.

I connect to the internet via a router and have setup a password for that, it works fine to connect and manage the settings.

My network has a different password (network security key) that i didn't setup, came by default so I would like to change it.

Bit confused as I though that it wouldn't be possible to have 2 different passwords and still access the internet?

There are no problem connecting to the internet!

Please help.

Cheers,

Magpie

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Network security key for what? Wireless? If you didnt set it up ring up whoever sold it to you. What version of windows is it??

Magpie
20-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi,

Windows 7 64 bit home premium.

I re installed windows and was in a bit of a rush, so didn't take to much notice when setting up the network. I can see the security key but want to be able to change it.

Its the network security key for the wireless.

Speedy Gonzales
20-10-2010, 09:43 PM
So even tho you did a clean install the key is there by default?

You should be able to change it by going to wireless in control panel / highlighting the connection / properties. Or right mouse on the icon on the bottom / select network and sharing / manage network connections. Go into its properties. If it wont let you, you'll have to ring the shop and ask for the password (if its a branded system from a shop)

wainuitech
21-10-2010, 08:07 AM
If what Speeedy suggested doesn't work, ( and the shop more than likely wont have any idea as to the password) - connect the laptop Via a Ethernet cable to the router, log into the router, go to the wireless security, change the SSID and the password to something else, save the settings.

Unplug the Ethernet cable, on the Laptops Internet connection, do a scan for available networks, the new name should appear, select it, and log in with the new password.