PDA

View Full Version : Backup in Win7

Pato
20-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I am going to backup to an external drive. I am aware that there has been a lot of discussion on which program to use for the backup.
I need some advice on what I should backup. Should I do an Image backup then incrementals. There seems to be some who say don't do an Image backup

wainuitech
20-10-2010, 05:38 PM
If you do an Image Backup (full backup) then in the event of the Hard drive failing or a massive corruption and everything is gone, then you can simply image it back to a new HDD, all data, OS the lot.

IF you only back up your data and something goes wrong as described above, you then have to reinstall Windows,download all updates and install programs manually.

Once a full backup has been done, then you can do regular backups of data that changes on a day to day basis.

W7 will do backups to an external drive no problems, its to a LAN store that you need professional or above, or a third party program.

Pato
20-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks Wainuitech. It looks like the Win7 backup will meet my needs and I will do an Image backup. I presume the Win7 program will allow incremental backups and it will allow a schedule option.?

wainuitech
20-10-2010, 06:10 PM
To Be honest I have never done incremental or set a schedule backup with W7.

I use Windows Home Server, which does it automatically every day between 8-8.30pm.

I also do second daily backups of important data every day with Fbackup (http://www.fbackup.com/) - thats does several folders of data on its schedule -- all to another server in the workshop (over the LAN), but it could go to an external drive if wanted.

gary67
20-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Win 7 backup can do schedule and I think incremental as well but not 100% sure on that but you will see the options when you go to do the backup. It images really quickly too

Pato
20-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks to you both for you comments. It doesn't appear that too many use the win7 backup. I will have a look at it anyway.

gary67
20-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I was going to until I found it won't go over a network if using home premium. I did use it to image to my data drive as a test hence how I know how quick it does it