PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV

ronyville
20-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone as bought or used the new 2nd Generation Apple TV (http://www.apple.com/nz/appletv/) and what you think of it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Also do we get access to all content even if we are outside US?

Thanks

davidmmac
20-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Just wondering if anyone as bought or used the new 2nd Generation Apple TV (http://www.apple.com/nz/appletv/) and what you think of it. Any feedback would be appreciated. Also do we get access to all content even if we are outside US?

Thanks

We get the movies but not the TV shows.

I haven't bought or used an Apple TV, but the restrictive number of playable formats was a real drawback when I was looking at getting a media device. In the end I settled on a WDTV which I would recommend to anyone without hesitation.

paulw
20-10-2010, 06:47 PM
If you like the WDTV then you'll love this one.
http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/16/wd-live-tv-hub-media-streamer-nas-leaks-out-of-best-buy-with-g/

ronyville
15-11-2010, 08:36 PM
We get the movies but not the TV shows.

Just trying it now... to get the TV shows, you have to change the region settings from New Zealand to USA.

maccrazy
16-11-2010, 04:10 AM
You will be able to preview, but not buy them. :)

Chilling_Silence
16-11-2010, 07:20 AM
Get the WDTV Live! I have no regrets :D

The AppleTV doesn't even do FullHD, only 720p :(

davidmmac
16-11-2010, 09:32 AM

Unless you fluff around buying itunes gift cards off dodgy websites and tell apple that you live in the US.

Honestly, if companies wanted to cut down on piracy, make it so that it's easier normal people to buy the show than download it off... (insert appropriate site here).

paulw
16-11-2010, 01:08 PM
That's most likely quite true but the likes of Sky, TVNZ and Mediaworks would do all in their powers to block any moves at getting the latest US or UK TV programs on iTunes the week they were broadcast in their home country..

davidmmac
16-11-2010, 03:13 PM
That's most likely quite true but the likes of Sky, TVNZ and Mediaworks would do all in their powers to block any moves at getting the latest US or UK TV programs on iTunes the week they were broadcast in their home country..

Good point... :(

Thats another thing pirating TV shows has got going for it, the show is released either by The Scene or P2P groups shortly after its finished airing (I've seen Top Gear released by a P2P group just minutes after its ended). After that people can download it and watch it on any device they like, whenever they like and as many times as they like in SD or HD without ads.

Don't get me wrong, pirating TV shows is ILLEGAL but I'm simply pointing out that its easier to pirate a show than download it of iTunes, or try to grab it off TVNZ ondemand etc (before I get slammed as a pirate :crying).

:2cents:

SoniKalien
16-11-2010, 03:49 PM
And there's the added bonus of having no ads... yep piracy is very attractive still.

ronyville
16-11-2010, 09:49 PM

It doesnt provide the option to buy. Its more of a rental. Once you pay, you have about a month to play, and once you do play, you have 48hours to watch it. Just been through the contents, its doesnt have all the shows, like it doesnt have "Two and Half Men", "The Big Bang Theory", and "Dexter".. and maybe more. It does have a lot movies but I couldnt find "Black Hawk Down". Havnt fully searched for anything yet. I am just trialing it out for one of the bosses. He's kinda an Apple fan :D