PDA

View Full Version : Two to three centimetre white band

Misty
20-10-2010, 04:22 PM
...has appeared basically in the middle of my laptop monitor. It stretches from the top to the bottom of the screen. Rebooting and switching the laptop on and off has not fixed it.
I suppose there could be a number of different reasons for this happening.
Misty :confused:

wratterus
20-10-2010, 04:25 PM
Probably LCD dying... :(

If you like pulling notebooks apart it wouldn't hurt to re-seat the cables, but that probably won't change anything.

A good way to tell for sure where the problem lies is to plug the notebook into an external screen, and see if the line appears there too.

Paul.Cov
20-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Have to agree with wratterus 100%.

You really need someone with the nerve to pull it apart just to see if re-seating the ribbon to the screen makes any difference.

Problem with laptops is that you run a serious risk of destroying more parts than you fix... but there's only one other hope to 'fix' it without pulling it apart - and that is to whack it, which I STRONGLY do NOT recommend.

Thermal changes might also give a chance to see if it's a simple contact issue... ie does it work any better when stone cold (after being turned off for the night), or any better when hot after running during the day?

It's no good as it is, and it won't fix itself, so it's either trash it or pull it apart (with the expectation you might still be trashing it)

SP8's
20-10-2010, 07:18 PM
... but there's only one other hope to 'fix' it without pulling it apart - and that is to whack it, which I STRONGLY do NOT recommend.

If you don't recommend whacking it .... why say it might be the only other hope of fixing it :D

Go on ... BIG HAMMER .... WHACK the living sh!t out of it ... it'll either fix it or **** it :devil:

P.S. Don't forget to post your results back here .... that way we can blame Paul for a week or so ...

The Error Guy
20-10-2010, 08:27 PM
by any chance an HP laptop? seen it happen to several of their new models although its only 2-3 pixles wide, also does the band show while the laptop is booting or only when windows is loaded (im assuming you are using windows)

Misty
20-10-2010, 09:16 PM
by any chance an HP laptop? seen it happen to several of their new models although its only 2-3 pixles wide, also does the band show while the laptop is booting or only when windows is loaded (im assuming you are using windows)
Hi Error Guy
No, it's not HP. It's a Toshiba Satellite. I am running Windows XP Professional.
The band does show when it's booting. It is a very clear white band - very precise. It is about one inch wide - though I have not measured.
Misty

Paul.Cov
21-10-2010, 08:43 AM
I suppose my earlier post was fairly useless.

On a more serious note, I recently had to pull apart my brothers Toshiba... to no avail.

However, a bit of googling of the model number of his laptop turned up a great page of photos of the entire process of safely dismantling that very model. It made the process a lot less spooky.

I suggest you give it a go yourself. If you have a digital camera, take photos as you progress so that you have a better chance of knowing which wires and which screws go into each stage of the job.

The only difficulty I struck with the process was the presence of two screws over one of the wireless cards that required some weird star shaped screwdriver. I managed to extract them with a very small screwdriver jambed into one arm of the 'star'... but it butchered the screwdriver in the process.

The challenge with where the ribbon cables connect is that some consist of a plug which is simply unplugged, some have a plastic wedge anchoring the ribbon - and you must prise up the wedge from the edges, and yet others are hinged - where you must swing up a plastic cover which anchors the ribbon in place.

Whatever strategy you adopt in determining how to extract and re-seat these ribbons, yopu must be very carefull the entire time that you do not crack the ribbons!
They should slide out of their connections very very easily if you have undone whatever latch mechanism is holding them. If you have to tug at them, then they are still latched, and you need to investigate a way to undo the latch.

On my brothers Toshiba the screen connection was actually wires instead of ribbons. The keyboard had the ribbons.
Ideally, keep dismantling until you have got to both ends of the cable that runs to the screen. Unplug both ends (don't muddle them up), clean them and firmly reinsert them. Reassemble and keep your fingers crossed.
Power and battery should be removed through the entire process!

Paul.Cov
21-10-2010, 08:47 AM
If you don't recommend whacking it .... why say it might be the only other hope of fixing it :D

Go on ... BIG HAMMER .... WHACK the living sh!t out of it ... it'll either fix it or **** it :devil:

P.S. Don't forget to post your results back here .... that way we can blame Paul for a week or so ...

Yeah, naughty me. I used to have a wrokmate who would beat the sh!+ out of every component she could see - she'd slap the monitor, kick the desktop on the floor, pound the keyboard and hammer the printer... and that was with a machine that was working properly!

wainuitech
21-10-2010, 08:59 AM
Does sound like a faulty Connection, or possible failure of the Screen.

Simple solution: :lol: Take one 2" wide paint brush, dip in black paint, paint over white strip -- White strip now gone :D

The Error Guy
21-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Well if its in there during boot then the GFx card, wires to LCD panel or the panel itself are damaged. try plugging into an external display. if the problem shows on the external then its a graphics card issue.

Do as paul says and carefully re seat cables, the "latches" are quite small, usually part of the clip where the ribbon plugs into the monitor or mobo, prise up the clip gently. if you break it then your screwed

Good luck

SP8's
21-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Simple solution: :lol: Take one 2" wide paint brush, dip in black paint, paint over white strip -- White strip now gone :D

I was actually thinking about cut n paste .... just cut the dead strip out and superglue the two halves together :D

Misty
24-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I haven't attempted any of the heroic measures suggested above yet. Nevertheless I do appreciate (most) of the suggestions ! What has happened today is that the white strip is no longer white. The same band is there but quite pixellated. I can see this clearly enough to type through the strip rather than squeezing the window to a fully visual part of the screen. It's not too bad, however no good for editing photos. Looks like it is a loose thingy !
Misty :) :confused: