PDA

View Full Version : Need to make shortcut to shut down

BrotherDragon
20-10-2010, 06:33 AM
Hi folks,

I'm in the USA to visit my sick father and have just bought dad a touchscreen computer to replace his old one. He has some physical(arthritis) and now cognitive(small strokes) issues which are limiting his ability to do certain things. He can start the computer, I've put shortcuts on the screen so he can play solitaire and use Word Pad, this is all he has ever done on a computer and he needs to be able to continue doing this to give him a feeling of independence. Where he's having trouble is shutting down the computer, the windows applet in the bottom left is small and he tends to get confused with all the selections that come up. What I want to give him is a shortcut on the desktop that he can double tap and shut down the computer. I know this might sound a little dumb but I'm trying to keep dad happy and this would help him by 'keeping it simple'. I'm using internet cafe's right now so I'll check on this post tomorrow. I miss NZ but right now my dad needs me.

Thanks to all back home...BrotherDragon

inphinity
20-10-2010, 06:51 AM
assuming WinXP or later, you could create a shortcut to call
shutdown.exe -s

Chilling_Silence
20-10-2010, 07:02 AM
Hey mate,

You can make a .bat file and put the following in it:
shutdown -s -f -t 5 -c "Shutting down as-per your request"

To save it as a .bat file, open a blank Notepad document, copy and paste the above line into it. Go File --> Save As, and then call it "Shutdown.bat" (Include the speech marks in the name to force it to save it as a .bat file).

Hope that helps :)

Chill.

Erayd
20-10-2010, 03:32 PM
No need for a batch file chill, it's a one-liner. Setting that as the target for a shortcut works just fine :).

:pf1mobmini:

BrotherDragon
21-10-2010, 04:24 AM
Thanks folks I'm not sure about how to 'set a target for a shortcut' but I'll give it a try and get back to you tomorrow...Cheers

Erayd
21-10-2010, 05:51 AM
...I'm not sure about how to 'set a target for a shortcut'...Right-click the desktop >> New >> Shortcut. Note that this may vary a bit depending on which version of Windows you're using, but it should still follow those steps pretty closely.

The box that appears will have a field for the target, with a 'Browse' button next to it - don't browse, just type 'shutdown -s -t 0' into it (or whatever variation on the shutdown command you feel like using).

Lawrence
21-10-2010, 06:19 AM
You want something like this if you have Vista/Win7

http://gallery.live.com/liveItemDetail.aspx?li=b76d1c2d-60b5-4611-a237-577073885fdb&bt=1&pl=1

There are other options here also