PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Asus netbook ?

Misty
19-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Have been reading threads on this forum about netbooks. Chill makes a convincing case for a Toshiba NB200 and also others are keen on Asus Eee series.

We want a small laptop ie netbook, to carry when away. Able to cope with photographic needs is very important. Others uses are less demanding.

The specific Toshiba seems hard to find. Indeed going around the stores there are not a lot of netbooks on view. PB Technology for instance only had 2 or 3 !

What do you think of this one from Ascent please ?? :illogical

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=389350

One apparent worry is that most seem to have a caution
May have some pixel defects :illogical

All comments appreciated :)
Misty

wratterus
19-10-2010, 01:09 PM
That Eee is very nice, you don't need to worry about the screen warranty, they are all like that these days. I've never come across one with a defect out of the box yet.

I reckon the Eee 1000 series or higher and the NB200s are both very good.

Brooko
19-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Misty
I have the 1015 PED and am very happy with it. The really long battery life (travel) is what eventually sold me. No problems getting 9+ hours out of a charge.

The only problem I've seen with the 1201PN is the battery life (about 4.5 hours). You do get better video - but it definitely drains the juice.

Another one you could look at is the 1015 PEM (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=13750). Unfortunately I'd already bought mine before this one released. It would be my pick. Dual core atom. Does not have the better onboard graphics of the 1201PN - but you do get a dual core and somewhere between 9-13 hours on a full charge. You would have to also order a 2Gb Ram Sodimm if you want to run 2Gb.

Hope this helps.

Misty
29-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Thanks wratterus and Brooko for taking the time to comment. I have since bought a Toshiba NB300 - however if I had not done so then would definitely have bought an Asus Eee series netbook.
Much appreciated
Misty :) :)

wratterus
29-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Good call Misty, you'll be happy with it.