PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard not recognised when booting.

MistyCat
19-10-2010, 01:41 AM
A friend's computer has suddenly stopped recognizing the keyboard on bootup.
He has WinXP and Win 7 on separate drives, and used to press F12 for boot options to change the boot drive. Now no key will work until WinXP (his last choice) finishes booting. I can't get to the BIOS to check anything.

I've tried replacing his Wireless keyboard with a Standard USB keyboard, then moved to a PS/2 keyboard without success. Each keyboard works perfectly after booting to XP completes.

Normally I can tap DEL while the machine is recognizing his hard drives, and instantly a new text line appears, "Preparing to enter BIOS," followed by the initial BIOS screen.
I've tried all the keys I'd expect to work on bootup (DEL, F8, F12, F2.... )
I've tried single taps, continuous taps, holding the key down after power on, holding the key down after powering on, both with and without cursing but all to the same effect - the machine simply continues on to boot XP, after which the keyboard works normally.

I haven't yet tried removing the CMOS battery or pulling out one stick of memory - I thought I'd ask here for a bit of help first.

Anyone experienced this, or know anything else I could try? His specs are:

MB Name: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.P55A-UD3R
BIOS version: P55A-UD3R F5
CPU Name: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Memory information: 2,097,151 KB RAM
OS information: Microsoft Windows XP Home
CD version information: 5-Series 1.02 B9.1014.5

The CD Version applies to the Gigabyte installation disk.
The box has 6 Gig of memory installed (for the Win 7 boot.)

He's not sure when the problem started, but the box was powered on during the earthquake (we're in Christchurch) when the power failed. The computer started quite normally afterwards and it wasn't until a week ago when he tried to get to Win 7 that he noticed.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Deimos
19-10-2010, 01:48 AM
I would have reset the BIOS before asking on a forum, so go do that.

gary67
19-10-2010, 05:38 AM
A friend's computer has suddenly stopped recognizing the keyboard on bootup.
He has WinXP and Win 7 on separate drives, and used to press F12 for boot options to change the boot drive. Now no key will work until WinXP (his last choice) finishes booting. I can't get to the BIOS to check anything.

I've tried replacing his Wireless keyboard with a Standard USB keyboard, then moved to a PS/2 keyboard without success. Each keyboard works perfectly after booting to XP completes.

Normally I can tap DEL while the machine is recognizing his hard drives, and instantly a new text line appears, "Preparing to enter BIOS," followed by the initial BIOS screen.
I've tried all the keys I'd expect to work on bootup (DEL, F8, F12, F2.... )
I've tried single taps, continuous taps, holding the key down after power on, holding the key down after powering on, both with and without cursing but all to the same effect - the machine simply continues on to boot XP, after which the keyboard works normally.

I would have reset the BIOS before asking on a forum, so go do that.

Bit hard to reset the BIOS when you can't access it, you will need to do the CMOS battery thing since none of the keyboards will let you in

MistyCat
19-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Deimos, Gary67:

I haven't yet tried removing the CMOS battery or pulling out one stick of memory - I thought I'd ask here for a bit of help first.

I didn't make it clear - I hadn't tried resetting the CMOS because I wasn't sure it was the right thing to do. I don't want to find (worse case) that after resetting that I still can't access the BIOS, Windows won't boot and I need to make a change from Windows.

However, I implied the question and you've each in a different way implied the answer - "Yes, go ahead and reset."

I'm on my way now to do just that and report back.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
19-10-2010, 10:10 AM
First thing I would do. Boot into windows then update the BIOS. Since (if this is the rev 1.0 mobo), its upto F13 now. Looks like F5 was the original BIOS

MistyCat
25-10-2010, 11:15 PM
1. The M/B had a jumper clearly marked "BIOS Reset," which did just that. There's now no problem.

2. The owner is a bit reluctant to flash the BIOS, even though the built-in Q-Flash utility looks easy and safe. Gigabyte recommended not to jump straight to the latest F13 from the current F5, but to move from F5 to F8 to F11 to F13.
The owner said "no," so the job's over.

Thanks for the help.

Speedy Gonzales
25-10-2010, 11:22 PM
His loss. If something doesnt work thats probably why

Agent_24
25-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Where do Gigabyte say that? I've never seen that anywhere before or ever done that.

When updating I always pick the latest BIOS and flash straight to that version (Unless there is a specific reason to avoid it)

Unless they only mean to do that when using Q-Flash?

I don't trust anything but a floppy disk and a normal flash program. It's always worked perfectly for me, why change now?

MistyCat
26-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Agent_24, that's an interesting question.

The info came from a pdf I downloaded from the Gigabyte support site. However, I went back online just now to look in the same pdf, and found different information.

I went back to my cache, found the original and compared the two. They're similar but different. Each pdf file is named flashbios_qflash.pdf

The original was authored by cecilia liu 6/6/2003
The current is authored by grace kao 5/8/2008

Google this quoted phrase to get 104 hits on what I originally read:

"please do not cross too many BIOS versions"

And yes, yes, yes. I've always (that is, about a dozen times over the past 20 years) flashed the BIOS from a floppy, without any of this newfangled hi-tech built in modern stuff and I've never had a failure. I've never jumped across this many update versions, though.

Agent_24
26-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I think my theory is confirmed when I searched your phrase and saw that the complete sentence says:

"With Q-Flash™ utility, please do not cross too many BIOS versions at one time if your current BIOS version is rather old."

I suspect this is because Q-Flash itself may cause problems with a large jump (Though WHY that is, I have no idea)

I am guessing that doing it the 'traditional' way would not be an issue? Strange indeed.

Found this too: http://www.gigabyte.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11208&start=0

Google translate doesn't do a very good job at making it make sense. Perhaps I will ask Gigabyte and see if they have anything interesting to say.

MistyCat
26-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Agent_24 - I had a look at that Russian page and found this paragraph:

Yes nearly forgot, angel, if you place bios not contract, but through several versions you jump over, then in accordance with instruction Gigabyte, is not recommended the using of the built-in module Q -Flash, but must after loading with the loading diskettes, to carry out the procedure “Of flash basic input-output system of with of the Of flash Of utility in DOS”.
It is strong, brother, you risk. It sounds as though you're right, the step by step upgrade problem applies only when using QFlash.

Fortunately the owner wants to stick with the devil he knows (F5) rather than move to the Devil he doesn't know (F13) so I'm just going to back slowly out of the room...

Agent_24
26-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Well I sent an enquiry to Gigabyte about it, we'll see if they can explain any technical reason as to why... I am dying to know, now...

Maybe I should get a Gigabyte board and do some testing on it, see if I can cause any problems by updating in a large jump with Q-Flash. :lol:

Agent_24
02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Well they wouldn't give specific details, but it seems it may be board\BIOS specific, as they wanted to know what version I was flashing from and to... Also said in most cases it wouldn't matter.

Would have quoted the exact reply but the message won't come up anymore for some reason.

MistyCat
03-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks for that info, Agent_24.
I think this one can go into the "success" file.