PDA

View Full Version : Monitor internet usage

TickTech
18-10-2010, 08:06 PM
Wondering if there's a way to monitor someone's internet usage without having to put something on their PC? We suspect one person in the house is watching movies all day but can't prove it.

Using a Thompson modem on Telecom broadband.

Renmoo
18-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Eh, DD-WRT?

nedkelly
18-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Using a Thompson modem on Telecom broadband.

Can they run dd-wrt?

PC builder
18-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Same problem but haven't found a way to check my flatmates usages yet! Will tell you if I find something.

Speedy Gonzales
18-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Block them. Easy

Agent_24
18-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Don't think anything open source runs on the Thomsons

Chilling_Silence
18-10-2010, 10:10 PM
Nope, you would need to replace or suppliment it with an additional wireless access point, then run singe firmware such as Tomato. Otherwise, try WebGauge

:pf1mobmini:

utopian201
19-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I think Tomato, OpenWRT or DD-wrt running on a router will give you that. I used it to find out one flatmate was using more in one day than the rest of the flat combined over 3 days

Then I slowed his internet down for the rest of the month since he had used up his 'share' of that month's cap.

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Yeah Gargoyle is great for that. Allocate a "cap" and then throttle them right back to whatever level you like once they hit it :D

wainuitech
19-10-2010, 10:38 AM
You can give Commtraffic (http://www.tamos.com/products/commtraffic/) a try. it can install on any PC on the LAN and it will monitor any other PC, doesn't have to be installed on that PC.

I have just installed the trial on a workshop PC and heres the stats (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Monitor.JPG) from my office PC, while I was playing a clip from Youtube.

Its only a 30 Day trial, but may be enough.

There are several programs available that will monitor exactly where a person has been, when and exactly what data amount has been used.

They are either trials (mostly) or there are some free programs that will give full history, that even Ccleaner wont remove the history, they run invisible, you dont even know they are there, BUT they do have to be on the persons PC.

Yeah Gargoyle is great for that. Biggest problem with that, is it wont work on all routers :D Limited Range (http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=supported_routers_-_tested_routers)

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah it works on more than that, that's just a summary. I've got it working fine on an Asus WL-520GU which isn't mentioned in that list. Because it's based off OpenWRT, using OpenWRT as a "Supported Devices" list is a good indication, provided it has 4MB Flash that is.

Still, the once-off $100 for a WRT54GL is well worth it!!

I just realized I'd made a Screencast a few months ago on how to install it but never uploaded it to my blog :( Will go do that now...

utopian201
19-10-2010, 11:39 AM
You can give Commtraffic (http://www.tamos.com/products/commtraffic/) a try. it can install on any PC on the LAN and it will monitor any other PC, doesn't have to be installed on that PC.

Are you sure thats what it is monitoring? If it doesn't have to install anything on other PCs, that screenshot looks to be just traffic from -your- PC to the other IPs...
Unless your PC is acting as the gateway.

wainuitech
19-10-2010, 01:10 PM
The PC that the program was monitoring is the Office PC inside. The Workshop PC (outside) had the software installed. The Office PC, I set running a random clip from youtube, as well as doing some browsing looking for drivers. The PC in the WorkshopXP,was sitting there doing nothing. The problem from what I can see is it doesn't actually tell you where the person has been.

This one does --
There are a few other programs as I mentioned that can record everything the PC does in the way of traffic, history, times on and when etc, but they need to be on the actual PC. Theres one I installed on a customers PC ( it was acting as a server), and he was monitoring his sons internet activity, as he suspected some "foul Play", son denied it of course untill presented with the actual report -oops :crying

The program is Track4win (http://www.track4win.com/) the other free one, is K9 web protection, you can disable all the blocking functions, yet leave the history intact - you dont even know its there.

TickTech
19-10-2010, 02:23 PM
I can block certain websites which we think they are streaming stuff from but when I did this the internet was pretty slow for the next day, just a coincidence?

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2010, 02:44 PM
It may be, it depends on how you're blocking them.

If you're blocking with a router that's using firmware based on OpenWRT, such as DD-WRT / Gargoyle, or if you're using Tomato, then no, it should have no speed effect at all.

Was the speed slowed in general browsing, or was it the throughput of downloads that was poor? How were you blocking them?

TickTech
19-10-2010, 02:56 PM
It may be, it depends on how you're blocking them.

If you're blocking with a router that's using firmware based on OpenWRT, such as DD-WRT / Gargoyle, or if you're using Tomato, then no, it should have no speed effect at all.

Was the speed slowed in general browsing, or was it the throughput of downloads that was poor? How were you blocking them?

General browsing, downloads seemed to be fine I think would have to double check that though. By going through the LAN settings it gives you the option to block or redirect specific websites. Blocked them fine but slowed everything down.

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2010, 03:27 PM
This is using the Thomson modem from Telecom?

They're crap, unfortunately, it's to be expected. I'd personally replace it ASAP.

tuiruru
19-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Hi Wainui

On a slightly different track is there some thing free and as simple as K9 but also gives you a record of the amount of data you have used so you don't go over your cap? I'm using a wireless modem.

Thanks

Snorkbox
19-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Wainui

On a slightly different track is there some thing free and as simple as K9 but also gives you a record of the amount of data you have used so you don't go over your cap? I'm using a wireless modem.

Thanks

I use this one:-

http://www.tuc.co.nz/

wainuitech
19-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi Wainui

ThanksPersonally Never bothered with it. Most of my customers if they think they are getting close to using their allowance for the month usually log into their ISP's site and check the usage meter.

But the one snorkbox posted looks like to works.

Off topic --

If with telcom check your invoice, esp if on auto payments - they are rip off merchants - -- customers place yesterday,

They were charging her $108 /month for dialup & a further $112 / month for broadband she didn't have. :eek:

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2010, 05:26 PM
TUC isn't bad, provided that the Telecom meter is working at the time. Having your own records I've found is a much safer and more accurate solution, not to mention you can then monitor on the router which device is using the data, including the likes of Wii's, Cellphones, iPod Touches etc, where you can't install the traditional windows software!

tuiruru
19-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks people..

Found this (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Bandwidth-Tools/NetMeter.shtml)- seems to be working well :thumbs:

kahawai chaser
19-10-2010, 07:21 PM
TUC isn't bad, provided that the Telecom meter is working at the time. Having your own records I've found is a much safer and more accurate solution, not to mention you can then monitor on the router which device is using the data, including the likes of Wii's, Cellphones, iPod Touches etc, where you can't install the traditional windows software!

Thanks all for this thread, for the mention of the firmware utilities, since I'm looking for a LAN/Internet tracking package. I have the Thomson TG585 V8 wireless router via Telecom, and suspect my teenage daughter is skype/face book video chatting late at night, though she says she's only voice chatting.

I'll try that TUC utility, but would that Tomato utility after reading at lifehacker (http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-your-60-router-into-a-user+friendly-super+router-with-tomato) work for Thomsons? Bit worried I might bad flash the original firmware, unless it can be backed up or easily restored?

utopian201
19-10-2010, 10:08 PM
would that Tomato utility after reading at lifehacker (http://lifehacker.com/344765/turn-your-60-router-into-a-user+friendly-super+router-with-tomato) work for Thomsons? Bit worried I might bad flash the original firmware, unless it can be backed up or easily restored?

No, thomson routers are a bit useless. I found a cheap one (D-link dir-300) that supported DD-WRT for $30 off trademe.

Chilling_Silence
19-10-2010, 11:15 PM
^^ What utopian201 said.

The general rule of thumb:
If it has ADSL built in, it's not supported.

Greven
20-10-2010, 10:22 PM
^^ What utopian201 said.

The general rule of thumb:
If it has ADSL built in, it's not supported.

pity. It is so convenient having an all in one router.

kahawai chaser
20-10-2010, 11:35 PM
pity. It is so convenient having an all in one router.

Yeah true.

Erayd
21-10-2010, 07:12 AM
Are you sure thats what it is monitoring? If it doesn't have to install anything on other PCs, that screenshot looks to be just traffic from -your- PC to the other IPs...
Unless your PC is acting as the gateway.It's quite possible to count traffic from other PCs without being between those PCs and the net, and without installing anything on them. Provided you're not using a smart switch that's configured to prevent it (which basically means this trick works on pretty much every home network in existence), you can simply set your switch port to promiscuous, and the switch will send you *all* the traffic, regardless of where it's actually headed for.

The benefit of this approach is it lets you count everything. The downside comes when the aggregate bandwidth across the whole switch is more than your individual port can handle...

The other issue with this approach is you'll also be counting local transfers between PCs on the network, unless you make a point of filtering out this traffic without counting it.

utopian201
21-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Provided you're not using a smart switch that's configured to prevent it (which basically means this trick works on pretty much every home network in existence), you can simply set your switch port to promiscuous, and the switch will send you *all* the traffic, regardless of where it's actually headed for.

The benefit of this approach is it lets you count everything. The downside comes when the aggregate bandwidth across the whole switch is more than your individual port can handle...

The other issue with this approach is you'll also be counting local transfers between PCs on the network, unless you make a point of filtering out this traffic without counting it.

How do you configure a home user's switch? There is no console/serial port or ip address to log into. Home switches in general are -not- configurable. What kind of switch are you referring to? This would require the use of a managed switch where you can log in to actually set traffic mirroring.

The only way you could do this with a normal home user's switch is to overload the internal mac address tables so it doesn't know which mac address is on which port. This turns it into a hub, broadcasting traffic out all ports. This of course makes it as slow as a hub.

Erayd
21-10-2010, 02:10 PM
...would require the use of a managed switch where you can log in to actually set traffic mirroring...Good point - being used to dealing with enterprise gear, I overlooked that somewhat vital requirement - my mistake :badpc:.