PDA

View Full Version : Email deleted with User Account dchange

namboothiri
18-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi Everyone, I have a query about email. I suppose, they have different file extensions. So where are they stored; how and where do we look to find them. Couldn't find any reliable Threads yet. Thanks guys.

ronyville
18-10-2010, 08:24 PM
more info needed. what OS are you using and what email client are you using?

namboothiri
18-10-2010, 08:36 PM
Hi Ronyville, sorry. Vista64 is the OS, Athlon 64x2 CPU, 4GB RAM and was using WIndows Live Essentials 2011 package. Thanks.

Snorkbox
18-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Windows live is web based unless you have the mail forwarded to a POP3 Mail client like Outlook or Thunderbird.

namboothiri
19-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi Snorkbox. I had to register POP3 while setting up the mail due to my broadband being TelstraClear and they using POP3. While the loss of some mails was not an issue at all, I was curious to know more about its whereabouts. Thanks.

Snorkbox
19-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Well do you have the Email forwarded to Telstra then to your PC via an Email client like Outlook or Thunderbird or not? If you don't have them forwarded to your PC then they are on a server somewhere.

namboothiri
19-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm unable to answer that question as I have no knowledge about the background preparations. However, all I know is that Windows Mail that came with Vista64 Home Premium was in use before I downloaded Windows Live Mail Essentials 2011 package. As you indicated, I doubt this change may have over-ridden the Vista based Windows Mail to the web-based Windows Live Mail and upset the whole set up.

jareemon
19-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Are you talking about the windows live essentials 2011 email program?

If so, open the mail program,
Select Tools > Options > Advanced > Maintenance > Store Folder
Highlight and copy the full folder location
Click Start > Run
Paste the address and press enter

wratterus
20-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Did you actually delete the old user account? if so, did you select the option to delete all files, or keep files?

Snorkbox
20-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Are you talking about the windows live essentials 2011 email program?

If so, open the mail program,
Select Tools > Options > Advanced > Maintenance > Store Folder
Highlight and copy the full folder location
Click Start > Run
Paste the address and press enter

Those instructions don't seem to live in my copy of Windows Live 2011???

20-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Honestly mate, if you want some help then cough up some basic info :badpc: :badpc:
we are just trying to guess what your issue is
- is this a deleted a/c you want the mail from??
- a new user a/c , old a/c still there??
- a reload of win??
??
??

looky here
http://www.pcworld.com/article/189238/where_does_windows_live_mail_store_my_mail.html

Browsing user or hidden files etc in Vista is a real pain. Vista may be hiding them from you.
use a 3rd party File manager & its much easy to find stuff
http://www.freecommander.com/
http://www.ghisler.com/

namboothiri
20-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi all, yes, I deleted the Admn Ac while keeping a secondary and guest accounts. I with utter carelessness clicked the delete with Files tab. Then the PC booted with a different set up including desktop and the wall paper. Then only I realised what stupidity I had done. Sorry mate 1101 if I frustrated you. I didn't mean to. Please have some mercy on me. Thank you for the advice on other aspects of the subject. Now I do not have the Windows Live Mail in the system. I am just using the Vista Windows Mail.

faith1806
21-10-2010, 02:55 PM
lol, a good question, and i also do not know how and where we can find them. but i guess that they should on drive C or D .

21-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Hi all, yes, I deleted the Admn Ac while keeping a secondary and guest accounts. I with utter carelessness clicked the delete with Files tab.

Hey mate, Its all good, I was just razzing you a bit :punk:punk

Unfortunately, those emails probably gone 4ever. :eek:
Was it the 'admn' or 'administrator' a/c you deleted (pretty sure administrator cant be easily deleted)

You could try a undelete/recovery utility, but its starting to get to the point where its going to be quite hard if unsure how & dont have the resources(ie a spare PC to use for data recovery)
I you REALLY need the old emails, the turn off the PC now. The more you use it the less likely to have a successful data recovery.

namboothiri
22-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Thanks guys and that's OK 1101. The success story is that I have been able to recover the email with File Scavenger but still unable to open and read them in the Windows Mail or Live Mail format. It comes out with all that &$#@!!!? stuff, my goodness! So it is pretty much, as you said, lost I suppose.

The next thing I am quite unhappy about is that with the deletion of the Administrator Account, the PC has changed all its earlier set up/setings including the desktop and also freezing, sticking up and going slow a bit.

Once an 'Administrator' is gone, can it or the old settings be retraced/restored at all? I can see that probably not.

kamo1
22-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys and that's OK 1101. The success story is that I have been able to recover the email with File Scavenger but still unable to open and read them in the Windows Mail or Live Mail format. It comes out with all that &$#@!!!? stuff, my goodness! So it is pretty much, as you said, lost I suppose.

The next thing I am quite unhappy about is that with the deletion of the Administrator Account, the PC has changed all its earlier set up/setings including the desktop and also freezing, sticking up and going slow a bit.

Once an 'Administrator' is gone, can it or the old settings be retraced/restored at all? I can see that probably not.

I think you can do a system restore prior to your mistake. Just make sure the date of the restore point is correct and your old settings should be restored.

Erayd
22-10-2010, 10:57 PM
I think you can do a system restore prior to your mistake. Just make sure the date of the restore point is correct and your old settings should be restored.Baaaad idea - system restore doesn't preserve user files, and just by running the restore you could end up overwriting the parts of the disk where those files were located. Please don't guess when it could result in major data loss.

Stick to non-destructive recovery methods, it's a hell of a lot less risky.

namboothiri
23-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Hi Guys thanks for the update. I have really lost nothing except some email which are not really important at all. What I am not happy with the Administrator account delete is the way the settings have changed. It annoys me so much when I find PC inow running a bit slow, the the Windows Mail looking different and all the Appearance and Personalization have changed and all that beauty and speed is almost gone!

What I now think of is to re-install Vista64 HPrm. Drive C has been partitioned (Primary) into three (with not much in the other two). But the pain is to start from scratch with all other installations including anti-virus stuff. I don't know if there is a way around with keeping the existing licences etc if the softwares are moved first into another disk and then brought back into C later. Also I have no idea whether the other primary partions will still exist or not with this venture. Your helpful feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks again.