PDA

View Full Version : USB keyboard during boot

qazwsxokmijn
17-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Here's a weird prob - my USB Razer Lycosa has always worked during boot to get me into BIOS, as did my previous keyboard, a USB Logitech G15. But just a few hours ago I had a BSoD related to my overclock. However my USB keyboard now will not respond during boot, only after Windows has loaded will it work again.

Why is this? I've always been able to use USB keyboards to get into BIOS, and now I can't? I have had to pull out my old PS/2 keyboard just to get into BIOS now. Anybody know of any fix?

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2010, 10:27 PM
See if USB legacy devices is enabled in the BIOS

wainuitech
17-10-2010, 10:29 PM
When the PC crashed, the BIOS could have reset back to its default settings. Which may have also taken out the Overclocking.

Some BIOS/Motherboards don't have the USB Keyboard support on by default.

Use a PS2 keyboard, and check that the USB support is set to Enabled - then it should work again.

qazwsxokmijn
17-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey guys, yep, USB support etc is on. Funny thing is, when I get into the BIOS using the PS/2 keyboard, I plugged my USB keyboard into another USB port and voila, the keyboard is recognised! Plugged the USB keyboard again in its original port, and it's still recognised. BUT! When I restart the computer, the USB keyboard won't work again during boot!

So, I had to wait till Windows starts up, plugged the the PS/2 keyboard in, restarted and went into BIOS using the PS/2 keyboard. Then, I plugged the USB keyboard into the second port and now it's working sweet again during boot.

What's the problem here? For some reason the USB keyboard would only work in its original port once inside the BIOS, and outside BIOS during boot it's not recognised! Any idea?