PDA

View Full Version : A challenge - USB problem

Deimos
17-10-2010, 08:54 AM
I think I may have fixed my issue, but thought I would issue a challenge to see if anyone here could figure it out.

Every now and then one of two things would happen:

1) My G5 mouse would stop for a second, once working again the speed settings were lost (using setpoint), disconnecting-reconnecting the mouse would resolve it.

2) Every now and then all USB devices would power down for up to 30 seconds (one time devices didn't come back at all) then start back up again.

Before this started happening, the following changes were made:

Windows Virtual PC installed
Back USB ports (using extensions) were shifted to the front of my case (went from 2 in back - 2 in front to 4 in front)
IE9 installed
Matrix Storage Manager installed
Regular MS updates installed

BIOS updated

System details:
Windows 7 x64 ultimate + IE9 Beta
Core i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz
Asus P6X58D Premium
Silverstone 1KW Strider Plus
Silverstone TJ07 case
12GB G.Skill RipJaws @ 1600Mhz
2 x 500GB WD RE RAID0
Radeon 5870
GeForce 8600GT (for Phys-X)
SB X-Fi Titanium

So what change caused my USB to start acting wierd?

here's another hint, this board has a seperate NEC USB 3.0 controller, if the KB and Mouse are plugged in to it, it still exhibits the same problem.

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Did you reconfigure the BIOS after you updated it?

Look here and see if anyone else has the same prob

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P6X58D+Premium&board_id=1

wainuitech
17-10-2010, 10:05 AM
One possible cause could be if the VM is running there is an overload on the Ports, causing them to shut down, this can happen if the some devices need more power and are not running Via a powered hub.

"Question" you say VM installed - but is it running? Using extensions can cause all sorts of problems as well.

BTW- sometimes its damn hard to figure out exactly whats wrong unless a person is in front of the PC, asking questions here can take days, while being in front of it can take a minute to sort out.

Example: nothing was mentioned about what was happening at the exact time, browsing, gaming, or just sitting idle. Can it be reproduced by doing certain actions ---

Sorry to say, but the post/question leaves out a LOT of information.

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Use XP mode instead

coldot
17-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I have no idea what the answer could be, but as I have experienced a similar interruption I would like to know your secret. Have you set a time limit for guesses or do I need to keep checking back every hour?

feersumendjinn
17-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Clock Speed 2.8 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.06 GHz
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=41447
Way overclocked!?:horrified

Core i7 930 @ 4.2Ghz

Deimos
17-10-2010, 11:56 AM
BIOS was reset back to defaults a couple of times after flashing just to make sure it wasn't that.

I looked through all 600+ posts on the Asus forum, and found a hint on there that fixed my problem, although the problem that person had was unrelated.

Virtual PC is installed but most of the time I don't have any VMs running.

I've been suffering with this problem for about 6 weeks, I highly doubt anyone would have figured it out in a few minutes because the problem is so obscure.

Initially I thought it was related to IE9 because it only seemed to be happening when browsing, but since that is what I do most of the time it was hard to ever see it any where else, it did do it once while using outlook (IE was closed) and also once when the computer was idle for a few hours, but never did it while gaming, or while the webcam was active.

Another hint, it does have something to do with one of the changes I mentioned, and I have just ruled a few of them out.

Deimos
17-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I replaced my PSU as well as I figured it was due being 3 years old, spent half a day swapping them out (because of all my cable routing, and Silverstone changed the plugs on their modular PSUs) only to have it happen almost immediately after boot, man I was pissed!

SoniKalien
17-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Memory timings?

Deimos
17-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Memory timings?

I tried to swith to the built in XMP profile to see if that would help, made no difference.

Timings havn't changed since the initial OC back in March.

wainuitech
17-10-2010, 12:20 PM
There are many ways to check or too see why it was doing what it was, BUT you would need to be in front of the PC to look.

Right from the start I would be looking in six different places in W7 and one will tell you what the problem was, or at least give so information relating to the problem source.

So really its only a guessing game here,with limited information.

I had a customers PC only on Friday, their daughtes Sims game kept shutting down at random times, found the fault in 2 minutes, yet the "Guy next door" who knows all about computers, and spent the last week trying to sort it out suggested a complete reinstall. -- great Tui's ad.;)

Deimos
17-10-2010, 01:27 PM
I would be looking in six different places in W7 and one will tell you what the problem was, or at least give so information relating to the problem source.

So you just automatically assume I didn't look in those 6 places?

Ask away, I'm felling pretty confident that its fixed now, its been 6 hours since I figured it out and it has re-occurred yet, but there were no events in the logs to indicate that anything was wrong...

I can't understand why you won't take a guess, the cause is listed in my original post, and yet all you want to do is posture and carry on about how great a tech you are...

CYaBro
17-10-2010, 01:52 PM
When you changed the USB ports from the back to the front you got the wiring wrong so disconnect them and see what happens.

:pf1mobmini:

Deimos
17-10-2010, 01:55 PM
When you changed the USB ports from the back to the front you got the wiring wrong so disconnect them and see what happens.

:pf1mobmini:

Yep tried that, powered off my machine, disconnected all the "expanded" USB ports, problem re-ocurred after a few minutes.

Well since you guys have guessed almost everything else, and it wasn't Windows update...

It was the Intel Matrix Storage Manager, and uninstalling it didn't fix the problem, I had to download the replacement (Intel Rapid Storage Technology) and install it, then my problem went away, pretty obscure, especialy considering it has absolutely nothing to do with USB.

I have yet to find anyone who has had this same problem, I found one guy on the Asus forum who had a similar problem, but it was his SATA drives that were randomly dropping out, someone suggested the Intel RST software, and that guy ended up RMAing his motherboard.

That is how I figured it out...

Erayd
17-10-2010, 02:08 PM
...I can't understand why you won't take a guess, the cause is listed in my original post, and yet all you want to do is posture and carry on about how great a tech you are...You've missed the point. Being a good tech, he wants to diagnose the issue properly - not take wild stabs in the dark. Your original post doesn't have anything like enough information to do anything other than randomly pick stuff and hope that it's right.

I've also never seen WT "posture and carry on" - sure, he's confident in his abilities - but it's not like he brags about it.

Speedy Gonzales
17-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Could be an option in the BIOS. Disable speedstep / C1E / EIST in the BIOS, if theyre enabled

Deimos
17-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I've also never seen WT "posture and carry on" - sure, he's confident in his abilities - but it's not like he brags about it.

I had a customers PC only on Friday, their daughtes Sims game kept shutting down at random times, found the fault in 2 minutes, yet the "Guy next door" who knows all about computers, and spent the last week trying to sort it out suggested a complete reinstall. -- great Tui's ad.;)

:confused:

Erayd
17-10-2010, 02:20 PM
He's making a point about unskilled people who claim technical expertise, contrasted with someone who actually does have technical expertise. I suspect that he was actually aiming that at you to make a point - making us guess isn't terribly useful and will most likely lead to a mis-diagnosis, and / or a solution that doesn't work or is overkill.

Deimos
17-10-2010, 02:47 PM
making us guess isn't terribly useful and will most likely lead to a mis-diagnosis, and / or a solution that doesn't work or is overkill.

I issued a challenge for a problem that I already resolved, the relevant information is included in my orginal post, so to say that I havn't provided enough information is pretty much posturing.

wainuitech
17-10-2010, 02:57 PM
So you just automatically assume I didn't look in those 6 places? No, But please reread the last line of my original post.

No information was posted as to where you had looked.

Only pointing out that having a PC in front of you is a damn site easier than trying to "guess" what you may or may not have done.

The ONLY thing that was posted was the system Spec's and what the PC was doing.

The problem can be caused by many different things.

I've seen it happen way to many times when someone tries to explain a fault, and when you actually do locate the fault, its nowhere or nothing like what you first thought the cause maybe.

Edited: last year, I was at a persons place, every so often their PC went slow anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour at random times. It was connected to a Router with 3 other PC's.

What was the problem ?

Thats all the info I was given on the phone.

kahawai chaser
17-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I can't understand why you won't take a guess, the cause is listed in my original post, and yet all you want to do is posture and carry on about how great a tech you are...

Surely a experienced diagnostic technician such as WT would not want to guess - but you want others here to do that?

I'm sure PC forums are more relevant for problem solving for solutions, more than challenges to a solution already solved - particularly as a new thread. Could not that be construed as posturing? We could all present challenges for unique issues (already solved), and possibly nobody could easily resolve it in a timely manner...and to the satisfaction of the requester...

SoniKalien
17-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Edited: last year, I was at a persons place, every so often their PC went slow anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour at random times. It was connected to a Router with 3 other PC's.

What was the problem ?

Thats all the info I was given on the phone.

Nortons was installed :banana

wainuitech
17-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Nortons was installed :banana:lol: That was my first reaction - but no.

I will provide an answer soon, BUT I can be certain no one could guess it from the description I was given on the phone, as to the cause of the problem.

Once there and a bit of "digging" I found the cause. Keep in mind, the slowness was completely random.

Erayd
17-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I issued a challenge for a problem that I already resolved, the relevant information is included in my orginal post, so to say that I havn't provided enough information is pretty much posturing.
No. You *didn't* provide enough information, and you asked us to solve the problem. You then acted like an arrogant git and assumed that WT was a mindreader.

It's also worth pointing out that the entire point of your post can pretty much be summed up as follows:
"Look, I solved something! I'd like to benchmark my diagnostic skills against other PressF1 members, so please could you guys take the time and effort to duplicate work on something that's no longer even a problem."

Asking us to waste time on this simply to make you feel good about your diagnostic skills, then whining when you actually got the response you asked for, is somewhat counter-intuitive. Nor will it win you any friends here.

All you provided in your post was: The obvious symptoms
Your system specs
A large list of changes made to the system before the problem became apparent.

That information is enough to conclude the following: There is possibly some kind of issue with the USB subsystem, or there is an issue elsewhere that's making it behave strangely.
The issue may be either software or hardware related.
Because the issue wasn't immediately apparent after making a particular change to the system, it's possible that it may be caused by a combination of factors, and may even be entirely unrelated to any of the changes listed.
As you can see, there's nothing like enough substance there to narrow the problem down to its root cause. In light of this, WT asked for additional information to assist with the diagnostic process - entirely reasonable, noting your original post was useless for anything other than wild guesses. You responded by telling him that his question was pointless, then topped it off by insulting him.

Can you see why you're on the losing end of this one?

wainuitech
17-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks Erayd, your post sums it up nicely.

The question I asked, only one guess, but the actual problem was one you had to be there to sort out.

Why was the persons PC randomly slow ?

After being there, I was noticed that there was continuous network activity Via the Router. While the PC didn't "slow down" while I was there, it soon became obvious after doing a bit of "digging".

The Fathers PC had 3 drives, 2 being 640GB each for storage.

The Sons PC in his room was always on & running utorrent,(explains the network traffic - seeding etc) when the files had finished downloading, utorrent has the option to move them to another folder/Location --The fathers bigger drives is where they were transferred to, since the son only had 1 320GB - at which time the fathers PC went on a go slow till the transfer was done.

Never would have sorted that with the limited info on the phone.

coldot
18-10-2010, 07:31 AM
You *didn't* provide enough information, and you asked us to solve the problem. You then acted like an arrogant git and assumed that WT was a mindreader.
:thumbs::clap