PDA

View Full Version : Allocating a drive letter permanently to a USB drive

bugalugs67
16-10-2010, 12:27 PM
My accounting program saves a backup to a USB drive. That drive letter is 'set' in the accounting program.

However I have a varying number of USB drives plugged in and when I plug the 'accounting backup' drive it just gets the next unallocated letter. How can I allocate that drive a permanent drive letter so that when backing up the accounting program will always look for that drive.

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Change it under computer management / disk management (give it a letter)

bugalugs67
16-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Wouldn't that just change the letter for that session? The next time I use it and should I have less (or more) drives plugged in it gets the next available letter again.

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Soon find out if you try it

Snorkbox
16-10-2010, 01:32 PM
It would help if you were to tell people which operating system you are using so that you can get precise instructions on how to do it maybe. Or alternatively we can all sit around and have wild guesses.

bugalugs67
16-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Soon find out if you try it

I stand corrected:blush::blush:

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Sweet !

pctek
16-10-2010, 02:15 PM
Or alternatively we can all sit around and have wild guesses.

Why not? Most unseen helpdesk is like that.

1. Describe your problem:

__________________________________________________ ______________

2. Now, describe the problem accurately:

3. Speculate wildly about the cause of the problem:

4. Problem Severity:

A. Minor__

B. Minor__

C. Minor__

D. Trivial__

5. Nature of the problem:

A. Locked Up__

B. Frozen__

C. Hung__

D. Strange Smell__

6. Is your computer plugged in? Yes__ No__

7. Is it turned on? Yes__ No__

8. Have you tried to fix it yourself? Yes__ No__

9. Have you made it worse? Yes__

10. Have you had "a friend" who "Knows all about computers" try to fix it for you? Yes__ No__

11. Did they make it even worse? Yes__

12. Have you read the manual? Yes__ No__

13. Are you sure you've read the manual? Maybe__ No__

14. Are you absolutely certain you've read the manual? No__

15. If you read the manual, do you think you understood it? Yes__ No__

16. If 'Yes' then explain why you can't fix the problem yourself.
__________________________________________________ ______

17. What were you doing with your computer at the time the problem occurred?
__________________________________________________ ________

18. If you answered 'nothing' then explain why you were logged in?
__________________________________________________ ________

19. Are you sure you aren't imagining the problem? Yes__ No__

20. Do you have any independent witnesses to the problem? Yes__ No__

21. Is there anyone else you could blame this problem on? Yes__ No__

22. Can you do something else, instead of bothering me? Yes__

SoniKalien
16-10-2010, 03:51 PM
You forgot "is Norton installed?" :p

Deimos
16-10-2010, 03:55 PM
Instead of using your accounting software to backup, setup a robocopy script to do the backup with a relative path instead of an absolute path, then it won't matter what drive letter the flash drive gets.

Billy T
16-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Instead of using your accounting software to backup, setup a robocopy script to do the backup with a relative path instead of an absolute path, then it won't matter what drive letter the flash drive gets.

Much too technical, just name all USB sticks as Z and they will hold that letter for ever. All my USB sticks are X (because I gave Z to something else).

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Deimos
16-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Much too technical, just name all USB sticks as Z and they will hold that letter for ever. All my USB sticks are X (because I gave Z to something else).

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Not necessarily, in my experience with Windows 7 drive letters do not stick to external drives at all, e.g. I have an external USB 3 dock and no matter what disk I plug in to it, it will always get D: unless I plug in a memory stick first, then it will go to the next drive letter.

Robocopy is not technical at all...

robocopy (absolute path - source) (relative path - destination) /MIR(mirror contents of directory)
e.g.
robocopy C:\Windows Windows /MIR

is that too complicated for your simple mind?

Billy T
16-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Not necessarily, in my experience with Windows 7 drive letters do not stick to external drives at all, e.g. I have an external USB 3 dock and no matter what disk I plug in to it, it will always get D: unless I plug in a memory stick first, then it will go to the next drive letter.

Damn those infernal nuclear-powered operating systems, I've only just moved from steam to internal combustion (Win2K to XP pro) and can still drive with the Windows open, no safety belt, and my elbow out. :D

My X's stay where I put them, but from memory I recall that I had also to name the disk as well to set the drive letter permanently in place.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Snorkbox
16-10-2010, 09:30 PM
I also give USB drives a name as well as a drive letter.

The Error Guy
16-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I was younger (and, believe it or not stupider than I am now!) when I got fed up of backup programs not recognizing my external HDD's correctly. Cranked open the external case and spent 5mins installing it in an old computer that became the network backup. worked quite well. not every convenient though, I went and bought a new external HDD so i could take my stuff everywhere

8ftmetalhaed
16-10-2010, 10:45 PM
This may or may not be useful to you.

http://www.boxorroxors.net/viewtopic.php?t=1350&sid=7be6903f051b3e799ed7475575b61276

The tutorial listed here is on how to set up an In the Groove arcade cabinet. These allow usb sticks to be plugged in by two people to load custom songs and edits to be used by the machine.

The tutorial lists a program that seems to allow you to set a permanent mount point for any usb drive plugged into a machine.

Check it out here, under the 'configuration' bit.

(this bit)
Configuration

Create a new user account (sans password) and install your drivers now.

Since Wanny showed me USBDLM [http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbdlm_e.html] I might as well also show how to configure that since you will need it to have separate ports for P1 and P2 memory cards. Download it and install it. Plug in a USB drive into the port you want to use for player one and then find the folder it was installed to (Program Files\USBDLM\) and double click on "ListUsbDrives_To_Notepad.cmd".
It will give you a giant wall of text like this:

limepile
17-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Yup, I name all mine as well, makes them really easy to find and I never transfer to the wrong drive.