PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu virtual machine in win7

jareemon
16-10-2010, 12:01 AM
anyone got any suggestions for a virtual machine app for windows 7 x64 that supports ubuntu? will vmlite work?

Speedy Gonzales
16-10-2010, 12:02 AM
If its Pro or Ultimate use XP mode. Just because its called XP mode, doesnt mean XP is the only OS you can use. Altho if its 64 bit you want to test, it wont work

jareemon
16-10-2010, 12:11 AM
will 64bit work in virtualbox or vmlite?

Renmoo
16-10-2010, 12:12 AM
anyone got any suggestions for a virtual machine app for windows 7 x64 that supports ubuntu? will vmlite work?
VirtualBox does. It supports integration features, and will definitely be able to run Ubuntu on it.

Freeware, not to mention.

jareemon
16-10-2010, 12:17 AM
awesome. just downloaded virtual box, a 75meg file, in about 30 seconds :D

Erayd
16-10-2010, 02:49 AM
awesome. just downloaded virtual box, a 75meg file, in about 30 seconds :DThat means you're on a net connection with over 20mbits/sec downstream bandwidth... :eek:

jareemon
16-10-2010, 08:22 AM
well, it was about a minute, i was slightly exagerating :D but i get an average of 13mb/s. Once it actually peaked for a split second at 20mbps on speedtest.net

wainuitech
16-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Are you meaning Mb/s or MB/sec -theres is a difference ( Megabit or Megabyte) - but I did just get Virtual box through in under 40 seconds (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Virtual_box.jpg)

But back to Ubuntu --did it work on the 64 bit

jareemon
16-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Are you meaning Mb/s or MB/sec -theres is a difference ( Megabit or Megabyte) - but I did just get Virtual box through in under 40 seconds (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Virtual_box.jpg)

But back to Ubuntu --did it work on the 64 bit

13mbps, the 75 meg file downloaded at 1.2-1.4mBps
I got ubuntu working, had to install guest additions to get the bigger screen resolutions etc. But now im noticing there is quite a performance lag, particularly with video, ie im getting 2-3fps on a flight simulator. I'm kind of assuming thats expected for a vm...

[EDIT]: forgot to say, ive just gone with the 32 bit ubuntu. Is it worthwhile going with 64bit? I only have 1gig ram allocated to ubuntu

Erayd
17-10-2010, 07:27 PM
[EDIT]: forgot to say, ive just gone with the 32 bit ubuntu. Is it worthwhile going with 64bit? I only have 1gig ram allocated to ubuntuNot unless you intend to do something that will benefit from having 64bit instructions available (e.g. transcoding video, compiling software etc) - unless you're doing something that needs it, in this case you're better off going with 32bit; it's a bit more efficient on memory use.

gary67
17-10-2010, 07:30 PM
I have just installed Mint 9 in virtual box and it runs quite well on Win7 64bit even though Mint is only 32bit

fred_fish
17-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Slightly OT but, You can also use all your ram on 32 bit with a -bigmem kernel

Erayd
17-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Slightly OT but, You can also use all your ram on 32 bit with a -bigmem kernelYup. Unlike consumer versions of Windows, Linux actually does PAE properly :D.

Chilling_Silence
18-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Moved to the main PF1 forums.

How are you finding the latest Ubuntu? I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to give it a whirl ...

jareemon
18-10-2010, 08:40 AM
It's nice, the gaming graphics are terribly slow (maybe because it's in a vm?) and the mouse movement isnt as smooth as it should be. I'd love to run it as a dual boot instead of virtual machine, but there is no driver for my wifi hardware... wait... just had a thought, if i plug my modem-router into my laptop via ethernet, will i need a linux driver for the lan or will it just work automatically?
my hardware:
Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit
[EDIT]: modem router is netcomm nb14wn

SoniKalien
18-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Chance are ubuntu will pickup the lan adapter and install drivers automatically, not saying it *will* just probably will :p

SolMiester
18-10-2010, 10:54 AM
It's nice, the gaming graphics are terribly slow (maybe because it's in a vm?) and the mouse movement isnt as smooth as it should be. I'd love to run it as a dual boot instead of virtual machine, but there is no driver for my wifi hardware... wait... just had a thought, if i plug my modem-router into my laptop via ethernet, will i need a linux driver for the lan or will it just work automatically?
my hardware:
Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit
[EDIT]: modem router is netcomm nb14wn

Oh, boy...thats because all the hardware it is running on is emulation, and not the actual hardware itself. You cant use VMs for gaming period....

Dont know about drivers for the ethernet, however i would imagine latest version of Ubuntu would have most drivers

PC builder
18-10-2010, 09:22 PM
well, it was about a minute, i was slightly exagerating :D but i get an average of 13mb/s. Once it actually peaked for a split second at 20mbps on speedtest.netWOW:drool your speed is so fast! I live in chch and im with Telestraclear with a 25GB cap thats meant to be up to 5mb/s at its highest but it never gets close to it have a look at this. http://www.speedtest.net/result/994723336.png :badpc:

Sorry off topic but what isp are you with?
Thanks

jareemon
18-10-2010, 10:40 PM
im only with slingshot, but i only have good speed cos im close to the exchange, and live in an area where not very many people have internet let alone full broadband.
I recommend against joining slingshot.

ubergeek85
18-10-2010, 11:56 PM
WOW:drool your speed is so fast! I live in chch and im with Telestraclear with a 25GB cap thats meant to be up to 5mb/s at its highest but it never gets close to it have a look at this. http://www.speedtest.net/result/994723336.png :badpc:

Sorry off topic but what isp are you with?
Thanks

Good god man! Even in Dunsandel we get better speeds than that! On 50 year old copper, no less! http://www.speedtest.net/result/994844692.png

Deimos
19-10-2010, 01:33 AM
If its Pro or Ultimate use XP mode. Just because its called XP mode, doesnt mean XP is the only OS you can use. Altho if its 64 bit you want to test, it wont work

Actually "XP Mode" is just a downloadable VHD with XP preinstalled, you need to install "Windows Virtual PC" in order to download the VHD and use "XP Mode"

you can also virtualise an app in any version of Windows since XP, so for example, you can virtualise an app that runs on Vista using the same method as "XP mode", you can even run a different language of Windows 7 and virtualise the localised versions of common apps like IE (so you can run a localised Chinese version of IE side by side with English IE).

So the OP could install "Windows Virtual PC" and install Linux on to it, "XP mode" is not required.

jareemon
19-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Actually "XP Mode" is just a downloadable VHD with XP preinstalled, you need to install "Windows Virtual PC" in order to download the VHD and use "XP Mode"

You dont need to have windows vpc specifically (for xp mode) you can just download the xpmode vhd, and use a third party app to host it, I was using vmlite with xpmode.

And guys, please stop calling me "the OP", i have a name, you know :p

Speedy Gonzales
19-10-2010, 12:02 PM
I know what it is I've used it

All you need is the 480mb file and KB958559 (which gives you the VPC part). You cant/dont use the old version of VPC. Since you cant have it and XP mode on the same system. Since XP mode is a later version of it

Renmoo
19-10-2010, 12:10 PM
You dont need to have windows vpc specifically (for xp mode) you can just download the xpmode vhd, and use a third party app to host it, I was using vmlite with xpmode.

And guys, please stop calling me "the OP", i have a name, you know :p
Easier to give a generic name to the poster than to click "Page 1" and look-up the original poster.