PDA

View Full Version : How do you clear the DNS cache?

Vince
15-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Being temporarily unable to do any kind of search, I can't find out for myself.
A repair feature provided a message saying "Repair cannot continue, the Dns cache can't be cleaned."
So how can I do it please?

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2010, 07:19 PM
http://www.google.co.nz/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=clear+dns+cache&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

KarameaDave
15-10-2010, 07:42 PM
Open an elevated command prompt

So,

Start

All programs

Accessories

Command prompt (right click and run as administrator, you may need to enter your password here)

In the cmd console type
ipconfig /flushdns

Press Enter

(hopefully this will work for you)

Vince
15-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Open an elevated command prompt

So,

Start

All programs

Accessories

Command prompt (right click and run as administrator, you may need to enter your password here)

In the cmd console type
ipconfig /flushdns

Press Enter

(hopefully this will work for you)

The result was
"Windows ip configuration could not flush the DNS resolver cache: function failed during execution ."

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2010, 11:00 PM
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/09/09/fix-could-not-flush-the-dns-resolved-cache-function-failed-during-execution-when-flushing-dns/

The reason why you’re unable to flush a Windows computer DNS cache is if the DNS Service is not running. Go to Start > Run and type services.msc. Double click the DNS Client to bring up DNS Client properties window. Make sure the startup type is set to Automatic and service status is Started. If not, just select the drop down menu, select Automatic and then click the Start button. Now if you run the ipconfig /flushdns command in command prompt, you should see “Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache”.

Vince
16-10-2010, 02:27 AM
That worked.

Vince
16-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Clearing the DNS cache / turning the service on, did the trick.
Everything seems to be working now.
Thanks for the help.