PDA

View Full Version : offload processing to remote computer

The Error Guy
15-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Is it possible to offload the processing of stuff such as HD movie content or intensive applications to a remote computer on a LAN?

We have several little computers (dunno if the have names) that are used for displaying presentations movies ect. they run XP (but I can put linux or any OS on them) with 1.5 GHz AMD processors 256 or 512mb RAM. they can't decode or encode HD video very well, as expected however I was wondering if they could offload the decoding to say the server or another PC on the network to decode the video and send the decoded stream back to the little computer?

I think it could be possible, but thats just me.

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Probably not, easier if you get better / faster computers

The Error Guy
15-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Not keen. means i have to spend money :xmouth:

Oh well. they were purchased by the school so the school can front up to the fact that they just don't cut it. apparently CCV (the multitouch application, community core vision) can offload the MT tracking to another PC and process the data remotely allowing small PC's to be installed on the displays whilst more powerful and larger servers render and process the data.

then again these "small" PC's are actually quite good, 3gb RAM and i3's with turbo. problem is they got low end graphics, only 256mb, not to great for what some people do which includes playing 5 HD movies simultaneously whilst scaling and rotating them. :stare:

Renmoo
15-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Saw a prototype of it being displayed by Nvidia about a year ago.

Somewhere on the Internet is the best that I can refer you to, sorry. :(

SoniKalien
15-10-2010, 08:08 PM
It depends on the software. Usually if it does, it will have a network rendering option, and usually you install the same software on the slave PCs.

The Error Guy
15-10-2010, 09:10 PM
It depends on the software. Usually if it does, it will have a network rendering option, and usually you install the same software on the slave PCs.

do you know of any software that does that?

SoniKalien
15-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Yes. :)

Umm.. I'm not sure about conversion.. But Sony Vegas (an offline non-linear video editing app) does network rendering...

What about remoting into the network pcs and running the apps and jobs from there?

nedkelly
15-10-2010, 10:54 PM
i would love it if there was a way to do this on windows pcs

:pf1mobmini:

waldok
16-10-2010, 01:13 AM
I can't think of anything that sounds like it will actually work for you. Speedy's solution is probably the simplest, but there are some other options along the lines of what SoniKalien suggested (which also cost money) if there's some other reason why the stuff needs to be streamed from a central point.

Remote Desktop using Remote FX
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/rds-remotefx.aspx

Windows MultiPoint Server
http://www.microsoft.com/education/products/Multipointserver2010/default.aspx

I think Windows 7 also streams over the network with Play To and when sending media to Media Centre extenders. I'm not totally sure of that, but even if its so neither sounds like a practical solution for you here unless it happens you've got lots of DLNA capable TVs or Xboxes lying around already.

cheers
W

fred_fish
16-10-2010, 01:51 AM
VLC is pretty easy to set up, on most platforms, as a streaming server / client, if that would suit what you want to do.
I use it to pipe TV around my LAN.

plod
16-10-2010, 06:32 AM
OSX would allow for this with programs that supportrd it.

nedkelly
16-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah xgrid

The Error Guy
16-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Multi Point server looks pretty good, just not for what i'm doing. good bit of MS software though.

As it happens I have plenty of displays and xbox's (well 2x 360's and an origional xbox)

ill probably set up a RDC to another computer on the network. on a side note though, can you install an OS on a different HDD or partition on one computer and RD to that?

so have W7 running on HDD1 and W7 running on HDD2 with the remote desktop going to HDD 2 even though it's not booted?

anyway, cheers for replys. ill try get upgrades for the boxes or sort some lower quality video out

Snorkbox
16-10-2010, 01:36 PM
One wonders whether distributed computing may work such as BOINC Grid computing?

The Error Guy
16-10-2010, 03:36 PM
probably, ill hunt down some BOINC software and give it a go, 250 2Ghz dual core computers should do the trick!! probably only need to use 1 or 2 tho

Deimos
16-10-2010, 03:59 PM
A problem I could potentially see is if the PC is not fast enough to decode HD video, and you offload it somehow to a machine that is fast enough, will the original computer be fast enough to display the decoded stream since a large amount of bandwidth will be required, and that is exactly the limitation you are trying to get around.