PDA

View Full Version : Router - Proxy direct?

The Error Guy
14-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Is it possible to get a router to connect to a proxy so that connecting devices do not have to configure proxy details?

Situation being that people are constantly asking me to enter proxy details or how to enter them and then not able to get rid of them at home. this is a pain for me and the students.

Routers are WRT54G's or other linksys routers. also there are a couple of 3com router but i'm not sure of model details

i'm guessing DD-WRT would maybe do it but can it be done of stock firmware?

WarNox
14-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Not sure about the router thing but you can set up a batch file (or two), one to set the proxy and one to remove it.

So make a .bat file with:

regedit /s setproxy.reg

and make a Setproxy.reg, eg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Internet Settings]
"ProxyServer"="192.168.1.5:8080"
"ProxyEnable"=dword:00000001
"ProxyOverride"="127.0.0.1;192.168.0.0;<local>"

Erayd
15-10-2010, 02:43 AM
Is it possible to get a router to connect to a proxy so that connecting devices do not have to configure proxy details?Yes, if you can do outbound NAT - the idea is to NAT all outbound traffic on port 80 to your proxy, and set the proxy in transparent mode. The proxy then intercepts all standard HTTP traffic, and except in very rare cases your users won't even notice. Edit: Note that there are also several other ways of achieving the same thing that are technically better, but can be more annoying to implement and don't usually work with consumer-level routers.

Alternatively, you can deploy a proxy configuration script if you want to use a non-transparent proxy to catch more than just port 80 traffic. This can be manually added to each system, or can be deployed via DHCP/DNS and HTTP (see here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_Proxy_Autodiscovery_Protocol) for more info on this method).

The Error Guy
15-10-2010, 07:28 AM
Ok, probably easier if I tell them all to use FF or chrome with switchy

Chilling_Silence
15-10-2010, 08:09 AM
I'm with WarNox, in the past I've just used two .reg files on the desktop.

One called "Set Proxy", the other called "No Proxy". Self explanatory, and worked a charm :D

Granted the last time I did that was around a decade ago on Windows 98, but I'd presume it's possible in XP / Win7 etc

The Error Guy
15-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Me and sidekick trainee were talking about this on the way home (boarding) he thinks it could be possible by doing some random thing, I was being stupid and not listening. end result was that it would slow traffic and we couldn't forward ALL the ports because router processor wouldn't be able to handle it.

Was looking for a zero config option that would work across all OS's, also the problem with the reg file is it still has to be given to people ect. ill let this one slide and put up a ruddy great sign saying PROXY > useless.proxydetails.schoolname.net.nz PORT> 3128

should solve most issues

cheers for help

Chilling_Silence
15-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah Erayds option would work...

The Error Guy
15-10-2010, 10:12 PM
Might see if they'll let me have a go at one of the routers for a test run.

berryb
16-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Or for Internet Explorer you could download Proxypal and install on the client computers. This only allows proxy enabled or proxy disabled which is fine when only going from school to home. Just click the ProxyPal icon on the toolbar in IE.

If needing to go to other proxy locations then you would need someother third party software. Last I looked I could not find free software but that was a while ago.