PDA

View Full Version : Missing Battery Level Icon.

B.M.
14-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Iíve somehow lost the Battery Level Icon from the notification area on my bottom taskbar. (Acer Aspire 3000 running XP)

Right clicking the taskbar and choosing properties - notification area doesnít show it at all.

The BIOS must be the most basic of all time and makes no mention of Power.

I canít for the life of me think where itís hiding and itís a bit of a nuisance not knowing the state of the battery without going into Control Panel Ė Power Options.

Anyone any ideas? :thanks

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Here is a better app to use..........sits on the taskbar too!

http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/download.html

wainuitech
14-10-2010, 04:47 PM
You can try this : go to Control Panel>>System>>Advanced>>Performance settings. Select the "data execution prevention" tab and select the second option "turn on dep for all programs and services except those I select". Then click on add and browse to and select the powercfg.exe file (found in Windows\System32). Add this, save it down, restart and hey presto!!

Quoted from This forum (http://www.footslog.com/board/Forum14/HTML/000196.html), second posting from Trig

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 04:53 PM
God, I stay away from data execution prevention....i have no idea why they are suggestion it in the 1st place on that forum, i certainly cant see what it has to do with the notification area!

wainuitech
14-10-2010, 05:02 PM
No Idea, thats why I posted the link to the forum, bit hard to replicate when all your own stuff is working as it should.

Personally I'm not to keen on using third party apps as a work around for a fault.
For improving a action/program no problems, but if something is not working there's a reason for that- and it should be fixed.

Edited: could also be The cause (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555555/en-us)

nerd89
14-10-2010, 05:53 PM
control panel, performance and maintenance,power options,advanced, always show icon on taskbar, apply.

B.M.
14-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Thanks Guyís. :thanks

I investigated all the options you provided and the winner is:

*Log off and then log back on to the current user profile.
Restart your computer.

Wainui Tech. :clap

Was a weird one and like Wainui, I hate camouflaging a problem.

As a young fellow, in the Valve days, I had to put up with a couple of Ham Radio enthusiasts who could camouflage most faults, but actually fix few. By the time they couldnít camouflage the fault any longer you were left with nothing like the manufactures circuit diagram.

Having said that, the programme Solmiester suggested looks good, but I notice itís only free for a while? ;)

And given my paranoia with fixing the original fault Iíll leave it until the present one causes me to much grief. :D

wainuitech
14-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Good to hear its solved. the comment
camouflage most faults, but actually fix few In this game, Tech's who have been around even for a short while will often see "patch jobs" that someone has done and while everything looks OK for a short while, sooner or later the patch fails, or the original problem gets worse.

I think we have all had the cases of people calling asking for quotes, and then saying so and so can do it for half the price, you're to expensive --- I usually say "No problems, please feel free to call if you need help".

I'd go as far as saying 60-70% will call back within the next month saying they only made it worse than before -- So now it gets fixed correctly. OK may cost more than some cowboy, but at least its done correctly.

Bit like people who say they can fully clean out a badly infected PC in 30 minutes --- Spose wiping the drive doesn't take that long :D

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 09:41 PM
The program is free period but the pro version has extra features

:pf1mobmini:

SolMiester
15-10-2010, 07:13 AM
No Idea, thats why I posted the link to the forum, bit hard to replicate when all your own stuff is working as it should.

Personally I'm not to keen on using third party apps as a work around for a fault.
For improving a action/program no problems, but if something is not working there's a reason for that- and it should be fixed.

Edited: could also be The cause (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555555/en-us)

Thought I should say here that sometimes doing a 'patch job' is the most appropriate as costs to diagnose the original fault can take just too long and for old units this is not worth it.
It comes down to results with as little costs. What is the point spending hours on something like that. As it happens, it appears there was an issue with the user hive\profile and it may soon corrupt anyway. Profile corruption on XP is very common, and in the end, the solution is a patch in that a new profile is required....
No cause found and no reason....

Anyway, the program I linked is free, you get the Pro version for 30 days, then it downgrades to the free version with less functions but still more info than the MS tool.
I happen to like 3rd party apps actually, in most cases they do a better job than MS as you cant be great at everything, case in point A/V, and Firefox, I would thing a great number of people would prefer these 3rd party apps over the MS equivalent.