PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected email deluge

Tony
14-10-2010, 09:21 AM
A couple of days ago my brother-in-law awoke to find his inbox contained about 2500 emails! Every email he had received since he set up his domain name a couple of years ago had been re-downloaded.

As you can imagine, he is not happy. He will be taking it up with his ISP - Orcon - but I thought I would expose it to the collective wisdom of PressF1.

Anybody else experienced this/got an explanation?

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2010, 09:25 AM
I think I saw on Xnet's homepage last week, there were email delays. Are the emails from Xnet?

Tony
14-10-2010, 09:33 AM
No, he's with Orcon - see the original post. The emails are from all over. This every email he has received in the last couple of years re-transmitted.

14-10-2010, 09:35 AM
user error on setup (just my guess)

is it a pop email a/c ??
I would bet that him email program had been setup NOT to delete emails off the ISP's server after downloading.
ie: download emails & leave a copy at the ISP.
Slight glitch in his email program could cause the emails to redownload from the beginning.

Tony
14-10-2010, 09:37 AM

is it a pop email a/c ??
I would bet that him email program had been setup NOT to delete emails off the ISP's server after downloading.
Slight glitch in his email program could cause the emails to redownload from the beginning.That's a distinct possibility - I'll check it out with him.

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Could have stopped / stuffed up when Orcon had those outages

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 10:04 AM

is it a pop email a/c ??
Slight glitch in his email program could cause the emails to redownload from the beginning.

+1

mikebartnz
14-10-2010, 10:12 AM

is it a pop email a/c ??
+1

wratterus
14-10-2010, 10:15 AM

is it a pop email a/c ??

+1 :D

99% that's what's happened. I see it all the time. Had a chap who ended up trying to pull down over 4000 emails on dial up a month or so back, that didn't happen at all!

Tony
14-10-2010, 10:37 AM
He's not answering his phone at the moment. I'll re-post when I've spoken to him.

I would guess that it is a POP3 account.

Tony
14-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Apparently he does have the "leave emails on the server" box checked (deliberately), so that explains why they were there in the first place. He hasn't heard from Orcon about why they were all downloaded again.

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Apparently he does have the "leave emails on the server" box checked (deliberately), so that explains why they were there in the first place. He hasn't heard from Orcon about why they were all downloaded again.

Doubt he will hear from Orcon....i imagine his outlook express corrupted and it started again, there is a 2gb limit on express mailbox...

Tony
14-10-2010, 03:19 PM
He's actually using Outlook, not OE. I'm not sure what diff a limit on the local mailbox makes when all the emails came from the server. Are emails flagged on the server or locally whether they are or are not be be retained?

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 03:33 PM
He's actually using Outlook, not OE. I'm not sure what diff a limit on the local mailbox makes when all the emails came from the server. Are emails flagged on the server or locally whether they are or are not be be retained?

If using Office Outlook, then there is no limit, but if OE, then if the limit reach the mailbox could corrupt....E-mail would be flagged on the client as you can have multiple PC with clients getting the same mail. If one client is set to leave mail and another delete, then depending on what client connects, is whether or not the mail stays!
So my laptop copies mail to the client, the desktop removes.....if the desktop gets the mail 1st, then the laptop wont!

14-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Older versions of Outlook also had the 2G limit.
Even the new versions will have the 2G pst limit IF they used an older pst.

They corrupt badly when you get close to that limit.

Tony
14-10-2010, 05:01 PM
I actually think it is most unlikely that he has hit a 2gig limit in his PST. He doesn't keep every email he has ever received - that is what the server is for. :) He is also using Outlook 2007 AFAIK.

I suppose if he has never compressed the PST it could be getting big...

Tony
14-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Doubt he will hear from Orcon...What's wrong with Orcon? I thought they were supposed to have one of the better customer service setups. I know he has had an initial "we'll look into it" response.

14-10-2010, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't assume its Ocron fault. They will only tell you nothing wrong at their anyway(ie never admit fault).
If he wants to use a POP a/c in this way, expect a few niggles.

I would bet its Outlook/Outlook Express has hick-upped & re-downloaded all the email.

fred_fish
14-10-2010, 10:39 PM
When the client connects to a POP3 server it requests a list of all emails in the maildrop, which the server duly provides, including a UID (unique identifier) for each message.
The client will then request messages for download by UID.
It is up to the client to keep a list of UID's it has already downloaded and omit those from requests when getting new mail.
You can see this if you can log the transactions with your mail client, or you can telnet to the POP3 port and enter the commands manually. :)

Tony
15-10-2010, 08:37 AM
I'll be seeing him over the weekend. I'll check out all this stuff then.

Robin S_
16-10-2010, 12:51 AM
I use Eudora client and it stores .toc (table of contents) files which maintain a log of emails downloaded. My understanding is that if the .toc file is deleted or corrupted this list is lost and at the next email check Eudora "thinks" that no emails have been have been downloaded and pulls down every email that it finds in the mail server inbox. This could explain the gigantihuge download. Presumably O and OE use similar systems. If this were so, subsequent email downloads should have been normal with no duplications as a new .toc file would have been created during the big download. If this has been the case it would point to the loss of the index file/system as being the cause of the problem.

Tony
17-10-2010, 03:19 PM
well, veeery interesting.

According to Orcon (yes, he did get a response - in fact several) it was their problem - "a technical issue that has now been resolved".

So :thumbs: to Orcon for acknowledging it was their problem. They didn't actually say what it was, though.

Thanks to everyone for the input and suggestions.