PDA

View Full Version : Problem following MS updates

MPG
14-10-2010, 08:52 AM
:help: Yesterday I dowloaded the latest batch of MS critical updates on my laptop (XP Pro, XP3), manually rebooted and all has been fine. Sweet, I thought. Overnight I left my desktop (XP Home, XP3) to dowmload the updates (15 if I remember correctly). When I checked this morning the PC had automatically rebooted. Problem is that I only have the wall paper showing (i.e. no desktop icons). The mouse cursor is working and the hdd light is flicking (about 1/sec). I can get into task manager OK - nothing showing under applications. Under processes there is quite a list but there is no activity showing with the exception of system idle which shows 99.

How can I proceed safely? Should I just hit the power button or should I do something else?

:thanks in advance. Any help greatily appreciated. I had a nasty experience with an update about 3 years ago. Took several days to rescue files and rebuild the drive. Hope I don't have to go through that again.

Michael

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2010, 09:28 AM
Whats the specs of the laptop?? It maybe another update that stuffed up certain systems

pctek
14-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Yes updates are great aren't they? Not uncommon for a patch to be released to fix a patch.......
Try System Restore, if that doesn't work, well you've had practice before.

This is why I stick to SPs only. It's dirty programming anyway......

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Either use the windows start button to bring up the explorer shell or Crtl&Alt+Del and reboot

MPG
14-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks to you all.

Speedy - it was the desktop that had the problem not the lappy.
pctek - while I have some experience, as you say, it was some time ago and people like me who are chronologically advantaged sometimes have problems with short term memory:stare:.
SolMiester - no start button showing on screen.

Decided to bite the bullet and do a soft boot. Bingo, all appears to be well. :thumbs: :clap

:thanks again to everyone.
Michael

wratterus
14-10-2010, 11:01 AM
Good to hear - normally in this situation you can fix this by using the task manager. Ctrl+Alt+Del, go to processes tab, kill explorer.exe if it's there, then go file -> new task, type explorer and hit enter.

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks to you all.

Speedy - it was the desktop that had the problem not the lappy.
pctek - while I have some experience, as you say, it was some time ago and people like me who are chronologically advantaged sometimes have problems with short term memory:stare:.
SolMiester - no start button showing on screen.

Decided to bite the bullet and do a soft boot. Bingo, all appears to be well. :thumbs: :clap

:thanks again to everyone.
Michael

Ummm, I meant the windows start key on the keyboard...anyway, well done....

MPG
14-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Hi Watterus & SolMiester

Thanks for the hints. I will try and remember them for next time (I hope not). Sorry I misunderstood which start key you were referring to. I think I lost my internet conection during the download and for some reason the machine rebooted. At least I discovered that most of the updates were missing. I have since had to download most of the updates 'again'. I try to keep my machine up to date. Perhaps I should resist the temptation. Certainly not when in the middle of an audit report which is what happened on the previous occasion.

Thanks again
Michael