PDA

View Full Version : Can't install Avast Free

Shortstop
13-10-2010, 09:02 PM
My daughter has a new computer and before connecting it to the internet we
wanted to install Avast Home Free which I'd downloaded on my computer. However, we got this error message when we tried to install it:

"An error 1006 (000003EE) has ocurred.

Last performed operation was opening the self extract archive.
Try to download the setup file again.
If you use Internet Explorer clear its cache before downloading"

Any ideas please?

wainuitech
13-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Do you happen to have an Asus Motherboard, and is the nvidia firewall software that comes in the driver install CD been installed. Sometimes the firewall causes problems.

You may need to uninstall NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager if its there.

Shortstop
13-10-2010, 09:11 PM
The setup file was downloaded on my computer not hers and installs perfectly well on my computer. Only get the error message when we try to install it on her computer.

SP8's
13-10-2010, 09:20 PM
Try Microsoft Security Essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ I think it's actually better than Avast now.

its free as well

Shortstop
13-10-2010, 09:36 PM
So I again downloaded the MS Essentials setup file on my computer but again couldn't install it on my daighter's computer - message said it was incompatible although both computers are running Win 7 x64. So what gives?

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Did you check and see if NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager was installed?? Did you get the right version of MSE?? You probably downloaded the 32 bit version

wainuitech
13-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Read this other forum (http://forums.techarena.in/windows-software/1291445.htm) - exact same problem, read the problem, and posts 2,4,5,6.

IF the nvidia firewall is installed, it can cause problems with the installing of ANY software.

Wouldn't matter if it were Avast, MSSE - or another brand.

IF the nvidia firewall is not installed, then theres another problem someplace.

Shortstop
13-10-2010, 09:48 PM
No, was the 64 bit version and in system devices can only see NVIDIA nForce PCI System management.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Look in program and features not device manager. Its a program / software

Shortstop
13-10-2010, 10:00 PM
No, not there

wainuitech
13-10-2010, 10:23 PM
You may need to click 'nVidia drivers' and select to only uninstall that particular element if it doesn't appear in the Add/Remove list....... Sometimes other parts of the program are listed within the main program.

Assuming you have nVidia, click to remove them, but dont go fully all the way, you should be given options, if not then stop.

OR

lets see whats actually running on startup -- quick way -- get Ccleaner from my sig - once installed, on the left, click on Tools, then startup, on the bottom right select " Save to Text file, open the file - then copy/paste the results back here.

You can also download and run Hijack this (http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/) - run it, and select save a log file - copy/paste the complete log back here.

Theres no personal details of license codes shown, just what programs are running/installed.

Shortstop
15-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Belated thanks to all who offered help - it just seemerd a real hassle why they wouldn't install. Took the easy way out - got a version of Avast from the PC World DVD - no probs. Thanks