PDA

View Full Version : ATI's Catalyst Control Center won't open

BasketballOSU
13-10-2010, 06:20 PM
OK, I consider this forum to be the best of the best when it comes to solving PC problems.

But I think I have the mother of all unsolvable PC issues.

I have scoured the internet and found others with the same problem, but none of the solutions I have found work for me.

If anyone on here is able to help me with this, my mind would truly be blown at the awesomeness of this board.

I went to install new drivers for my ATI Radeon HD 5870 card.

Instead of just the drivers, I also accidentally re-downloaded and re-installed the Catalyst Control Center (Graphics settings for ATI cards)

Now the CCC won't open at all. I tried uninstalling everything ATI related and re-installing.

I tried using Driver Sweepers and other programs to remove all the traces of ATI products, and then reinstalling CCC and drivers, but it still won't open.

I even tried going into the Windows/assembly folder and deleting everything with an ATI ID and then reinstalling, but it still won't open.

Any idea what in the hell could be causing this?

I've been at this for hours and hours now, and am making absolutely no progress.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2010, 06:24 PM
What version of windows is installed?? If its XP, is .net framework 2 installed?? If it isnt installed thats one reason CCC may not work or open. Driver sweeper probably wont help things. Did you uninstall the ATI drivers and all of its folder/s, files first? I can check it out with teamviewer, if you want

wainuitech
13-10-2010, 06:30 PM
You can try running system restore back to before the drivers went in, that will remove all traces of them. The driver install "should" have made an auto restore point.

I think I have the mother of all unsolvable PC issues. :D Nothing is unsolvable, it depends on how much or what work is required to find a solution, that's what varies ;)

BasketballOSU
13-10-2010, 07:26 PM
The system restore did work to get the control center open - good thinking, but as I was afraid of, the original problem that I was downloading the drivers for is back.

When I start the computer up, it opens with black bars around the top, bottom and sides.

In order to change this, EVERY time I have to go into the CCC and change the scaling options to 0% so that the resolution takes up the whole screen. It would be nice if this would just automatically do it to the monitor on startup.

It is also affecting games too. I just got Crysis and whenever I run it at 1920x1080, it puts the black bars around the top, bottom and sides, even when I have done the GPU scaling thing upon startup.

Any ideas on this?

wainuitech
13-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Have you tried running driver sweeper again, removing the ATI drivers, then re-downloading/installing the new drivers without the CCC ?

BasketballOSU
13-10-2010, 07:45 PM
Have you tried running driver sweeper again, removing the ATI drivers, then re-downloading/installing the new drivers without the CCC ?

Yeah I did that after I was able to access the control center again, but even the new drivers don't fix the scaling / black bar problem.

wainuitech
13-10-2010, 07:55 PM
Hmmmmmm Do you have a Linux Live CD, say Ubuntu ? If you do, boot from that and see if you get the bars still on startup. This is basically testing if its a card problem or (more than likely) a driver problem.

Actually, just a thought, start the PC up in safe mode, (tap F8 on startup) select safe mode -- everything will be bigger and the graphics crap, BUT does it remove the black bars?

Edited: I assume you Have done all this (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/UnableToSetGPUScaling.aspx)

Edited2 - Have you also set the monitor to its native res, normally the black bars mean its not set correctly.

BasketballOSU
13-10-2010, 08:44 PM
I have done everything in the link you provided - regarding the GPU Scaling checkbox and everything. That's how I was able to get it to stretch properly in the first place - by enabling that. However, it doesn't save that setting or anything, so every time my computer restarts or exits out of a game, I have to re-apply the GPU scaling to make it fill the whole screen.

And I have the resolution set to 1920x1080, which is my monitor's native resolution (It's a Dell ST2410).

And I started up the computer in safe mode and it still has the black bars in safe mode.

Speedy Gonzales
13-10-2010, 08:50 PM
You could try the fix here if its win7

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=125270

What version of the drivers did you install?

BasketballOSU
14-10-2010, 04:53 AM
8.771 on the drivers.

And yeah I tried the program at that link but unfortunately it didn't help : (

Speedy Gonzales
14-10-2010, 08:36 AM
8.7?? Most of the drivers are up to 10.9. What version of windows is installed

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Sounds like the CCC application is corrupted if you have to keep reapplying the settings. If I ever have to install ATi driver I never install CCC, its just a dog...If I was you, I would got back to the restore point before this all started, go to device manager, right click the card and select uninstall, DONT reboot, then go the add\remove programs and uninstall all the ATi programs, reboot and if you have dont it correct the system will not have drivers for the card and prompt you for drivers, this is where you can use the latest WHQL drivers only..http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon-xp-32.aspx
Get the driver only 24Mb...this are windows XP 32bit drivers

Good luck

Deimos
14-10-2010, 12:57 PM
You still havn't said what version of Windows you are running.

Agent_24
14-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Sell it and buy an nVidia card, the software actually works.

BasketballOSU
15-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit

And yeah, I have pretty much figured out at this point that Nvidia is 10 times better than ATI.

I'm never buying an ATI card again.

Speedy Gonzales
15-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Probably had the wrong drivers / or they were way out of date / weren't for 64 bit

Agent_24
15-10-2010, 06:51 PM
What version of CCC were you upgrading from?

I take it you upgraded to the latest (10.9) ?