PDA

View Full Version : New police gun laws

ubergeek85
13-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Watching it on 3 news now, all I can say is good stuff.

Can't seem to find a link at the moment...

Metla
13-10-2010, 05:20 PM
What a joke, they have plenty of guns.

And while I'm not against them being armed they need to give them constant training and remove the twats and useless bastards from the force, The criteria required to be a cop in NZ is in no way a level of competency to be armed in public.

And on that note, if they kill someone without good reason then they need to be charged with murder.

ubergeek85
13-10-2010, 05:25 PM
It's funny, in NZ a B class gun licence is stricter than police regulations. Really.

Once an officer has passed initial training, they have to do bugger all.

Once you get a B class, if you so much as breathe wrong, they show up quite promptly.

tuiruru
13-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Yeah, but the empty holsters that a lot of them will get to wear because the guns are locked in the "safe" in the car boot will give them somewhere to store their packed lunch!

prefect
13-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I am against the cops getting easy access to guns because they haven't shown they are responsible enough to use them.
Example 1 killing someone with a golf club in waitara
2 wasting a courier driver at western springs

Cato
13-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I am against the cops getting easy access to guns because they haven't shown they are responsible enough to use them.

Yep. Before they get guns they need PROPER training, not the BS they have going on right now.
They seem to be doing well enough without guns, why change that?

SP8's
13-10-2010, 06:49 PM
Waitara ... I can accept. Western Springs ... the cop should be behind bars. Anyone who has ever applied for a firearms licence has it rammed into them that the first thing to do is IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET ... An accidental shooting while hunting happens every now and then and the person responsible is usually penalised quite harshly. The standard of this rule should be much higher for the police .... there is no excuse for shooting the wrong person and they should be held accountable as it is murder.

I am actually in favour of arming the police, however, firearms in locked boxes in the vehicles boot is bloody useless ... by the time they bugger about opening the boot, unlocking the box and loading the weapon ... they're dead if the offender is armed.

Empty holsters ... what a bloody joke ... I actually find it quite embarrassing and think back to my younger years when you'd stick out two fingers with your thumb raised and go BANG ... you're dead. Train them to a high standard and then let them carry weapons ... no use the bad guys having all the shooters.

SP8's
13-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Too many crims with firearms and too many police getting shot. Would you like to try and arrest an armed crim high on P without any means of defence ? And no, tasers don't always work when P is involved.

wmoore
13-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Waitara ... I can accept. Western Springs ... the cop should be behind bars. Anyone who has ever applied for a firearms licence has it rammed into them that the first thing to do is IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET ... An accidental shooting while hunting happens every now and then and the person responsible is usually penalised quite harshly. The standard of this rule should be much higher for the police .... there is no excuse for shooting the wrong person and they should be held accountable as it is murder.

You need to read the Coroner's report into the Western springs shooting for the true story. The guy that was shot was NOT in the line of fire, while the officer was identifying his target. But came into the line of fire after he crashed his Van into the car in front. And of course all this happening within
seconds.

prefect
14-10-2010, 06:23 AM
You need to read the Coroner's report into the Western springs shooting for the true story. The guy that was shot was NOT in the line of fire, while the officer was identifying his target. But came into the line of fire after he crashed his Van into the car in front. And of course all this happening within
seconds.

Like that would be an excuse if a civilian did when shooting a bambi

jareemon
14-10-2010, 07:04 AM
I think the police and military should be like the combine in half life 2 :D
*radio chatter* "outbreak outbreak!"

Cicero
14-10-2010, 07:05 AM
I am in favour,with luck a few baddies should hit the dirt.

Trev
14-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm with Cicero.
:)

Battleneter2
14-10-2010, 07:28 AM
For example the that last police shooting in CHCH would not have been helped by weapons in the police cars boot. They either carry them 100% of the time or leave things as is.

What do they do next time they walk into a house and confronted with a surprise guy pointing a shot gun "owww please wait a minute sir, ill just go and grab my weapon".

This change is purely "to be seen to be doing something", but is near worthless.

Cicero
14-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Clint Easwood always had his handy,even when in the barbers chair,just hidden under his poncho,this must be the way to go.!

DeSade
14-10-2010, 07:39 AM
I agree that they need to carry them at all times, and be properly trained in their use.

prefect
14-10-2010, 07:41 AM
If the police are armed, I guess the crooks are going to need to carry guns for their own protection.
Probaly more copz are going to get waxed than less.

paulw
14-10-2010, 07:42 AM
I agree that they need to carry them at all times, and be properly trained in their use.

Agreed. As with the new regs by the time they get to their cars , unlock the door, unlock the gun locker and get out the gun the crim will have carried out his deed and the cop or someone else could be dead.

Trev
14-10-2010, 08:14 AM
I would imagine if they were going to be in a high risk situation that they will be armed before hand.
:)

Scouse
14-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Re C's "I am in favour,with luck a few baddies should hit the dirt."
Agree.
The removal of a few gun-toting druggies, added to the number of disqualified and stolen-car drivers already being removed from society will make the world a nicer place for our grandchildren.

People suggest that the new rules will cause the baddies to obtain guns. Have they not noticed that virtually every baddy taken in a drug bust in recent times has been reported as having a loaded firearm with his stash? This government move is just a step towards playing catch-up.

Gobe1
14-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Where does it end?
Crims get knives - police get tasers
crims get guns - police get guns
crims get RPGs - police get ???

jareemon
14-10-2010, 09:06 AM
Where does it end?
Crims get knives - police get tasers
crims get guns - police get guns
crims get RPGs - police get ???
Apaches

wratterus
14-10-2010, 09:24 AM
And the occasional Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, just to find the guys so the Apache can deal to them. Now that is a move I would support. :D

Gobe1
14-10-2010, 09:24 AM
A10 thunderbolt also dont forget them LOL

mikebartnz
14-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Quite frankly it worries me when I think of that time a couple of years ago when they were trying to shoot a dog and had bullets going in all directions and none meeting their target.

prefect
14-10-2010, 09:56 AM
The police want gunz but whoa and behold if a citizen uses one for self defence.
About time that police union clown was usurped he is causing too much trouble.
If policemen like loggers want a risk free job they should get a job flippin burgers or something inside.

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 10:00 AM
deleted!

ubergeek85
14-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Quite frankly it worries me when I think of that time a couple of years ago when they were trying to shoot a dog and had bullets going in all directions and none meeting their target.

That was a disgrace. Even I can shoot better than that.

I can hit a sparrow on powerlines at 50m with a .22.

Yet a cop can't hit a dog with a 9mm glock!?

prefect
14-10-2010, 11:38 AM
That was a disgrace. Even I can shoot better than that.

I can hit a sparrow on powerlines at 50m with a .22.

Yet a cop can't hit a dog with a 9mm glock!?

Its not disgraceful its because they arent shooting all the time to keep in practice.
Believe it or not thanks to diverse police recruiting these days they have people in the force who dont love guns and shooting. Some dont even like the refresher firearm training think its onerous. In the old days the thought of firing off free government ammo would send a male delirious.
I use to pig shooting with a guy up North mainly poaching on maoris blocks he could shoot a running pig with a rifle in the time I took to think oh there is a pig. Its because he had been doing it since he was before 6 years old.

mikebartnz
14-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Its not disgraceful its because they arent shooting all the time to keep in practice.
Believe it or not thanks to diverse police recruiting these days they have people in the force who dont love guns and shooting. Some dont even like the refresher firearm training think its onerous. In the old days the thought of firing off free government ammo would send a male delirious.
I use to pig shooting with a guy up North mainly poaching on maoris blocks he could shoot a running pig with a rifle in the time I took to think oh there is a pig. Its because he had been doing it since he was before 6 years old.
Agreed and hand guns are not very accurate without a great deal of training. Think barn doors at 20 paces.

Scouse
14-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Re: I can hit a sparrow on powerlines at 50m with a .22.

Rifle or handgun?

ubergeek85
14-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Rifle. I doubt the police would even consider me for a B-class licence, to let me get my hands on a revolver.

Also, you're only allowed to discharge handguns in approved ranges, too.

R2x1
14-10-2010, 03:46 PM
What sort of gun laws will old police get? ;)

Gobe1
14-10-2010, 03:50 PM
What sort of gun laws will old police get? ;)

They get the one with two free shots, just in case they miss

Scouse
15-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Way to go..........
http://www.smh.com.au/national/revolvering-door-as-victorian-police-add-pistols-to-their-firepower-20101014-16lwu.html

TickTech
16-10-2010, 11:19 AM

I agree, to have them rolled out over the whole country is a disaster waiting to happen. Someone is going to get trigger happy and make a mistake.

Lurking
16-10-2010, 02:25 PM

Yes, 9 Police shot in 2 years, surely it must be their turn !, if they are able to get to their locked up firearms, that is.

Do the crims. get much practice or is it their intention to kill anyway.

A Golf club in the wrong hands is a pretty lethal weapon, having played golf off a 5 handicap one has a fair idea of the striking force of such an implement.

Lurking.

prefect
16-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes, 9 Police shot in 2 years, surely it must be their turn !, if they are able to get to their locked up firearms, that is.

Do the crims. get much practice or is it their intention to kill anyway.

A Golf club in the wrong hands is a pretty lethal weapon, having played golf off a 5 handicap one has a fair idea of the striking force of such an implement.

Lurking.
So is a banana in the wrong hands any see that monty python where the guy was teaching defence against a banana attack?

Lurking
16-10-2010, 07:24 PM
So is a banana in the wrong hands any see that monty python where the guy was teaching defence against a banana attack?

prefect, thanks for that, must remember to take one each time we go out on Community Watch !.

We only get the occasional bottle thrown our way and nothing to return f i r e with.

Lurks.