PDA

View Full Version : DVD Rom problems

12-09-2001, 09:12 PM
Hi, I'm reposting this, as I didn't get many suggestions last time I posted this, and I really need some help!

I recently bought a DVD drive and installed it into my computer, and had no problems with the install. However if I try to watch DVD movies on it, the picture jerks like nothing else, and on occasions when its not that jerky, the sound and the movement (like people talking) are not quite in sync. Most of the time though its just really jerky, and rather irritating to watch. I've been informed by many different sources that it should run smoothly, but nobody has been able to give the right suggestion to fix it.
I'm running: Celeron 700 32mb TNT2 AGP (I bought this as I was told that this was most likely the problem... didn't make any diff) 128mb RAM 12x DVD-ROM 20Gb 5400rpm HDD Windows ME PowerDVD software (came with the drive).
I have tried heaps of suggestions, such as switching on DMA (obvious one), dropping the res to 800x600, etc. etc. even formatted my HDD last weekend cause of the suggestion of too many programs loaded from startup. Now theres nothing besides what's installed when WinME is installed.
Its the same on any DVD, not just one. Hardware acceleration isn't an option in PowerDVD for the TNT2 for some reason. All the settings under the display properties are set up for acceleration, as far as I can tell.
The DVD is set as master on the second IDE channel with no slave attached. The sound is integrated though, could this be causing my problems? I haven't been able to test it on another machine.
Okay, I noticed that my drive is detected as ATA-33... Is this right, or should it be ATA-66 like my HDD? I tried using the HDD cable on it (which has noticably more wires in it) but that made no difference at all. Would adding more RAM help?

12-09-2001, 09:31 PM
The drive is probably only ATA33 so don't worry, it won't be using that much bandwidth anyway as its compressed.

Have you noticed the HDD thrashing or anything?

The sound delay is probably caused by the soundcard when the system is under load.

Another random guess, have a look at the AGP aperature setting (in the BIOS) its very unlikley its the cause, but its worth a try.

12-09-2001, 10:56 PM
At times the picture just freezes, and at these times the HDD 'thrashes' as you say, but usually the led just blinks continuously, but theres not a lot of HDD noise.
Would the sound delay be caused by integrated sound? Would it be better to purchase a seperate PCI sound card?
What do I look for in the aperture setting in the Bios? its set at 2x (the max for my m/board) but I can't remember what else refers to AGP in there.

13-09-2001, 08:18 PM
I have a pentium 2 400 and run dvd no problems but i use a hardware hollywood plus card
you can get one for around 200 at ascent .co .nz as a last resort.
I wanted it for the outputs to my video and home theatre system it also takes all the load of the 400 cpu.
If you are using Windows ME dont use 98 SE you will need to do a complete format though to get rid if ME which was a marketing exercise by microsoft and is very buggy.

16-09-2001, 04:25 PM
Hi
I have an AMD 450 with 256 Mb RAM and a 6X Dvd Rom and a Riva TNT2 32 Meg Card I have backed this with a Hollywood Plus DVD decoder as it got rid of the jerkyness of the video I also invested in a surround sound 5.1 card to take the load off the CPU for decoding sound I know it is a wee bit more expenxsive $ wise but worth it in the long run...

16-09-2001, 04:25 PM
Hi
I have an AMD 450 with 256 Mb RAM and a 6X Dvd Rom and a Riva TNT2 32 Meg Card I have backed this with a Hollywood Plus DVD decoder as it got rid of the jerkyness of the video I also invested in a surround sound 5.1 card to take the load off the CPU for decoding sound I know it is a wee bit more expenxsive $ wise but worth it in the long run...

17-09-2001, 07:38 PM
They have a point, using hardware decoder reduces work for PC, not a bad idea and not too expensive.
Rob