PDA

View Full Version : Busines class laptops - Lenovo or HP?

southern_jas
13-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Quick question. I am looking to purchase a couple of laptops for business use and have been quoted priving on some Lenovo T410s. I have never used a Lenovo laptop before (always used HP business laptops at previous job) so was wondering how they stack up in comparison? I can get a very similar looking spec HP 6450b for around $500 - $1000 less.

For those who have purchased these for business in the past would you prefer Lenovo or HP?

Gobe1
13-10-2010, 12:02 PM
We have both types here and but only the one lenovo (T61), several HP 8530p
I would rate both about the same but the Lenovo keyboards are nicer to use

For that kind of savings if the specs are similar i would be going for the HP

pctek
13-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Personally, whatever the use - I'd stick with the reliable ASUS or Toshibas.

wratterus
13-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Well if you're talking about high end business notebooks, I quite like HP, and the amount of bloat the lenovo manages to cram onto their notebooks is nothing short of obscene. Either should do the job well though. I agree with Globe's comment that the Lenovo keyboards are nicer...

have you looked at Asus or Toshiba at all?

Gobe1
13-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Bloat!! true Wratt, Give it a clean OS as soon as it turns up, start fresh.

kahawai chaser
13-10-2010, 12:40 PM
HP's seem to be everywhere in retail stores, some with discounts, as I noticed yesterday in large retail chains. HP have a great online resource learning centre (http://h30187.www3.hp.com/), which include dozens of tutorials (and include pdf's), including business, IT, and much more. Many NZ businesses I think grew up with HP products...

13-10-2010, 01:20 PM
The Large retail chains tend to sell the 'home user' type of PC/laptop.

The Tosh Tecra's are also excellent, but again full of bloatware.
I actually though HP's had too much bloatware, so Id hate to see how much is in the Lenovo's :rolleyes:
Bloatware is at the stage the OEM install has the default Win Games disabled, trying to force the user into using the bundled WildTangent games. Shame on you.

SolMiester
13-10-2010, 01:34 PM
Personally, whatever the use - I'd stick with the reliable ASUS or Toshibas.

ASUS only produce consumer class AFAIK!

SolMiester
13-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Quick question. I am looking to purchase a couple of laptops for business use and have been quoted priving on some Lenovo T410s. I have never used a Lenovo laptop before (always used HP business laptops at previous job) so was wondering how they stack up in comparison? I can get a very similar looking spec HP 6450b for around $500 - $1000 less.

For those who have purchased these for business in the past would you prefer Lenovo or HP?

Not sure about Lenovo add ons, however HP have some real nice security features thanks to its trusted platform module, so on that I would go for HP...If a tablet, I would go for the Lenovo X200T

pctek
13-10-2010, 01:51 PM
ASUS only produce consumer class AFAIK!

And the practical difference is?
Most business machines I see in use have sad specs compared to a lot of home user ones.

SolMiester
13-10-2010, 01:56 PM
Most business machines I see in use have sad specs compared to a lot of home user ones.

1) consumer class do not have the built in security of business class
2) business class have 3 yr warranty's by default
3) business class use better\longer lasting components as they are expected to be used much more than consumer.

When you talk sad spec, you are undoubtedly referring to GPU's, most business class dont have discrete GPU's its true, but they have better components on the motherboard and usually more features....docking, turn features on\off to save battery etc....

utopian201
13-10-2010, 02:03 PM

Agree with Solmeister; Business class notebooks are better built (ie, more alloys and less plastic, no flex in the keyboard, harder chassis etc).

Also business notebooks come with an OS install disc and less/no bloatware. The install disc lets you have a clean install anyway, instead of having to make your own recovery disc.

13-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Business Class have Win Pro. This costs more
Home/consumer class have Win Home.

Business Class:
harder to find in the shops
still have bloatware
dont allways have recovery disks
almost never have a Win install CD
the 2 I looked at today only have 1 year warranty (HP & TOSH)
often look ugly in comparison
+ do tend to be more reliable
+ buyers are happier(ie no complaints) with the machine than those who bought the home class laptop - just the people I know of -

jareemon
13-10-2010, 09:50 PM
I'd definitley go with lenovo, they tend to me much more business focussed

Petja
14-10-2010, 12:44 AM
Sorry I don't really know about HP or Lenovo but.....

I am a water engineer and we do plenty of 2d modelling, CAD, GIS and other fairly taxing computer tasks.

I have a Dell Precision M4400 laptop, ugly as sin but it flys. I have no idea on its value (I just get a new one every two years). But it is really good performance wise, some of our models take 24hrs plus to run and my laptop can keep pace with older dual core workstations. Good battery life too, 3.5 hours with the bigger battery plugged in (when doing word etc). Not too heavy for a big widescreen laptop.

Best of all if you are on the road it runs games great on the quattro graphics card :)

Only warning is the new dell bags (or should I call them soft shell chilli bins) suck! Get one of the old ones if you go dell.

Cheers

datapuzzle
14-10-2010, 06:04 AM
i personally prefer checking the specs and i don't mind the branding..
for me even though you have this kick ass laptop if you don't know how
to use it -it's worthless

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2010, 07:01 AM
I find the branding quite important.

I've recently been using a combination of the Lenovo and HP laptops, both their commercial and consumer class products. I'd take a HP laptop hands down any day!

The higher end HP Probooks can be a right ***** to get into if you wanna try and upgrade the HDD / RAM, don't bother trying, I gave up... But if you can live with the stock specs (In this case 4GB of RAM was "sufficient", though an additional few GB would have been nice for all the VM's this person runs), then they're absolutely fantastic!

High build quality, good quality parts all around, not the lightest machines by any stretch of the imagination.
Also been playing with their DriveLocker functions that prompt you for the drivelock password on boot. Very cool stuff!

pctek
14-10-2010, 08:38 AM
1) 2) business class have 3 yr warranty's by default
3) business class use better\longer lasting components as they are expected to be used much more than consumer.

3 years. Yes. Toshiba for instance, 1 yr or 3 yr machines. 3 yrs cost more.
ASUS are 2 years. Whatever price.

And components - hmm......that's why I am picky about PCs. laptop or not.
Exactly. Comes down to what's in it.
Right next to me at this very momnet is an HP PC. Yes its the desktop PC not a server. Oh, look - complete **** inside the thing.

For sure I would never buy one, not even if I ran a company with many PCs.

wratterus
14-10-2010, 08:39 AM
HP don't use the **** ECS and Bestec parts in the business notebooks though PC...that's the point here.

Gobe1
14-10-2010, 08:51 AM
This is a scan from one of the hp snaplock bags out of the box lol

utopian201
14-10-2010, 09:02 AM
I'd definitley go with lenovo, they tend to me much more business focussed

HP, Dell and Toshiba all have business focussed notebooks. You won't find these well built notebooks in shops.

The higher end HP Probooks can be a right ***** to get into if you wanna try and upgrade the HDD / RAM, don't bother trying, I gave up...

One of my friends got one instead of a macbook. While you have to remove the keyboard to upgrade, it means there aren't any panels on the bottom which increases rigidity.

Probooks and elitebooks are nice notebooks, they are always worth considering regardless of whether you're a 'consumer' or business.

SolMiester
14-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Got one of the probooks couple of months ago, nice screen and all, but wasnt that fussed on the touch pad buttons TBH, however the user have a laptop wireless mouse anyway, so not a show stopper!

Chilling_Silence
14-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah aside from that, it's pretty damn nice!

I've got a macbook myself, so I know what you mean, it provides much better stability in the case compared with many of the other flimsy units I see out there...

pctek
14-10-2010, 12:14 PM
HP don't use the **** ECS and Bestec parts in the business notebooks though PC...that's the point here.

So what MB is in them?

wratterus
14-10-2010, 12:59 PM
So what MB is in them?

I was under the impression Intel manufactured them, or at least used to.

Deimos
14-10-2010, 02:21 PM
I've got a lenovo for casual use, Thinkpad Z61t , I find it to be very solid, the external bits are still plastic (top bottom etc) but if you open it up it has a magnezium chassis which makes it very rigid.
Mine came with a lacklustre T5600 and paltry 1GB of ram but I have since bumped it up to 4GB ram and a T7200, the only thing I miss (a lot) is a dedicated GPU, there are very few games on steam that will actually run on it.
The only bad thing I have to say about Lenovo is they fetch a premium, my Z61t was $3500 a few years back, but considering how long I have been using it, it was well worth the extra cash.

Deimos
14-10-2010, 02:24 PM
HP, Dell and Toshiba all have business focussed notebooks. You won't find these well built notebooks in shops.

The Dell Dimension laptops are similar build quality to the Lenovo Thinkpads, but its damn near impossible to get them unless you are a medium to large size company (I have no idea why they won't sell them in the retail chain).

14-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Ive seen a consumer NB break the screen as the surround was so flexy & flimsy.

My Mothers NB (she decided to go & by the cheapest 15" she could find) was so slow its was literally unusable. Not a pleasant intro to computers for her. Even upping the RAM to 1.5G didnt help. Must be the worst Ive yet seen.

Unfortunately, Got what they paid 4 :groan:

Fishb8
15-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Got a brother who is a senior manager at HP in Houston and he reckons Toshiba are the brand they regard most highly as a competetor.

SolMiester
15-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Got a brother who is a senior manager at HP in Houston and he reckons Toshiba are the brand they regard most highly as a competetor.

Yeah, I would agree with that!

southern_jas
15-10-2010, 06:04 PM
well we have gone with the HP models as the price was just too good to pass up in comparison to the Lenovo pricing. Better spec machines for the price too.