PDA

View Full Version : Google - Now it's Auto Driving Cars?

kahawai chaser
13-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Google have just unveiled a "secret project", where they say they can auto smart drive cars according to New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/science/10google.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss) (includes video). I guess they can integrate their Google mapping system to yet another level.

wellyg33k
13-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Yeah apparently they've been driving them through towns :| Must be pretty daunting being the test driver waiting to snatch the wheel if something goes wrong

johcar
13-10-2010, 10:34 AM
That's gonna take all the fun out of driving!!! :(

Maybe it's just for the Streetview cars, so they won't have to pay the drivers, or for installing in those RVs that drive around the States where people put cruise control on and then go back into the cabin and make a cup of coffee (and then sue the manufacturer of the RV for their own stupidity!!!)... :)

wellyg33k
13-10-2010, 10:36 AM
That's gonna take all the fun out of driving!!! :(

Maybe it's just for the Streetview cars, so they won't have to pay the drivers, or for installing in those RVs that drive around the States where people put cruise control on and then go back into the cabin and make a cup of coffee (and then sue the manufacturer of the RV for their own stupidity!!!)... :)

Haha I've heard about this happening. Complete joke if they were actually successful in suing

johcar
13-10-2010, 10:38 AM
Just had a thought - I assume they're not using a Microsoft OS to run the self-drive software... Hate to see the day that a BSOD could be fatal!!! :D

--Wolf--
13-10-2010, 11:44 AM
"to aggressive, where it is more likely to go first. "

Is that really a good idea?

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2010, 12:36 PM
No, you're not allowed to use MS software at Google I believe. Linux, BSD or MacOS is all that's permitted I think?

I like the sounds of it. I dreamed up plans for something like this about 7-8 years ago, but my plans / ideas would have required a device to go into every single car in the country, along with a few other things ... I was mostly just dreaming, but still! It's great to see this sort of thing IMO! Just push a button, take a nap for a couple of hours, and you can go from Auckland to Hamilton by auto-car :D

kahawai chaser
13-10-2010, 12:51 PM
Might have potential for the US army for land surveillance ...but don't think Google would want to be associated with military.

ronyville
13-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Might have potential for the US army for land surveillance ...but don't think Google would want to be associated with military.

everything is for sale nowadays. it just depends on how many zeros are put in the cheque :p

SoniKalien
13-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Just had a thought - I assume they're not using a Microsoft OS to run the self-drive software... Hate to see the day that a BSOD could be fatal!!! :D

Would need a button on the dash to close all windows real fast.. :p