PDA

View Full Version : Burn speed underrun

ktee
12-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I feel Im reading too much into the simplest thing, but here goes.
After reading through my piles of printouts from the internet they talk about selecting correct burn speed or could get underrun (they explain what that is).
So if my DVD-R discs say 16x, and the hard drive also says 16x (in its long description) when I have the choice of 40x, 24x, 16x, do I select 16x?? is it that obvious. Or can I select a higher one.:confused:

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2010, 04:58 PM
Well I've never heard of a hdd being 16x. Depends on how fast / good the system is I suppose. I usually burn at the max speed. But, if you're getting errors, it'll be better burning it at a lower speed, to see if that fixes it

ktee
12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Yes well I really have no real idea of what Im talking about, but Im trying, slow it may be.
So 1) the higher the X number the higher the speed?? eg 48 faster than 16??
2) Ive printed out my comp specs from HP site " SuperMulti 16x DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive.
Is that not my hdd speed .
Also on same printout just read for DVD+R up to 16x and same for DVD-R.
So what should I pick. I hate when it gives me a choice

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2010, 05:07 PM
A CD-RW Drive may be rated to do between say 4x -> 52x
Media may be rated between 1x -> 8x

Therefor the fastest you'd want to safely burn on that media would be 8x.

Basically your drive may be able to burn faster, but you don't want to burn faster than the media is capable of adequately handling. DVD-R on the other hand is different from CD-R

DVD-R 1x is about the same as CD-R 8x.
So, DVD-R 4x is about the same as CD-R 32x

Depending then on what you're burning with, it may be incorrectly reporting the media.

Buffer underrun occurs when your PC / HDD isn't quick enough to keep the buffer to the burner full, and the disc is doing its one-shot burn process and suddenly runs out of data it's supposed to be burning. Back in the day that would finish the disc and it would be considered a "bad burn".
Today, you have buffer underrun protection, which essentially "pauses" the burn process, keeps the disc spinning, and the drive (And also application) buffer fills. It's not so much of an issue today on faster PC's, and pretty much every single drive on the market has some form of buffer underrun protection now. My first Creative CD-RW drive however did not, but the technology has been mainstream ever since DVD Burner drives have become popular.

Hope that helps clear things up a little.

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2010, 05:08 PM
Thats whats what the burner burns dvd's and cd's at.

So if you use a DVD +/- it'll burn it at 16x

And R/RW at 12X.

ktee
12-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Ta its clearing it up more. Its just that the various printouts Ive done off internet show the different speed options under "prepare this disc", so I thought I would have to select it myself.
So sorry to ask again but as disk is 16x it will burn it at that. But if it comes up with choices (48x, 40x 24x 16x) I select 16x??
Im just doing docs and photos.

Speedy Gonzales
12-10-2010, 05:18 PM
Those are different speeds (that it supports). It depends what youre burning to, on what it'll burn at. But you can select a lower speed. Only thing it'll take longer to burn whatever (depending on what youre burning, and how big the file/s are)

autechre
13-10-2010, 09:16 AM
So sorry to ask again but as disk is 16x it will burn it at that. But if it comes up with choices (48x, 40x 24x 16x) I select 16x??
If the disc is 16x, I wouldn't try & burn it at anything over that speed, so set your software to burn at 16x or less.
Depending on the quality of the discs, you're probably better to burn at 8x or 12x.

48x & 40x are for burning CDs only.

Chilling_Silence
13-10-2010, 09:45 AM
If it's over 16x then it's going to be a CD, I've never seen a DVD drive or disc that is rated at over 16x.

Again, as I mentioned, 1x DVD is the equivalent to 8x CD burning speed, so a 16x DVD burning speed is 128x CD burn speed.

Long story short: Slower burns are usually better quality and more reliable. If you can burn your DVD at 4x then do-so
Same for CD's, personally I stick to 16x. The difference is only about 2-3 minutes on a full disc burn.