PDA

View Full Version : Can I take cover off with computer still on??

ktee
12-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Can I or is it safe to remove cover when computer still on??
I need to change a fan (mentioned in post a while ago) also have a low tone groan every now and them.
So taking case off when its doing this will make it easier to find.

Cause problem after a reboot is fan doesn’t always start its roaring noise immediately. Sometimes its after a few days, others times it’s when Ive got a lot going.

So turning off removing cover then restarting could mean a long wait

This is after Ive done by “burns” and backups and before I buy my external HD. ....These things take time....:confused:

wratterus
12-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Course ya can! :badpc:

ronyville
12-10-2010, 04:42 PM

x2, just dont poke your fingers into the heat sink fan like i have done a few times. may or may not damage the fan.

wratterus
12-10-2010, 04:44 PM
x2, just dont poke your fingers into the heat sink fan like i have done a few times. may or may not damage the fan.

or your finger! If you want to check if a fan is the one making noise, push gently in the middle of it with your finger, this will slow it down.

Renmoo
12-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Wait, was that sarcasm?

wratterus
12-10-2010, 04:45 PM
No sarcasm. I'm deadly serious... ;)

ktee
12-10-2010, 04:48 PM
OMG !!! Heat sink fan, back to google, Not sure when I will be doing this exactly next few days. If I never post again next week you'll know Ive poked the wrong thing.
Okay another question but separate threat

Snorkbox
12-10-2010, 04:52 PM
Ummmm. Why not remove the cover and run the PC without the cover for as long as it takes to exhibit the problem? Or is that too easy?

ktee
12-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Could take a week, and unfortunately the dust build up is quite quick in this house, so dont wnt cover off too long.
Also not much space so need to move printer out of room so can use table for HD, as can see nothing at floor level.

Snorkbox
12-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh well if you have to dig the system unit out from where it's hidden with the drive platters spinning at 7200 RPM it's your choice and thankfully I won't be doing it.

faith1806
12-10-2010, 07:17 PM
lol, u can. be careful to repair the fan

The Error Guy
12-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I have lost several fingernails to my old HS fan. just don't plug anything in whilst its on (like Hardrives, PCI cards. I have had them short out causing the computer to shut down.

feersumendjinn
12-10-2010, 07:49 PM
To find which fan it might be making the noise, get yourself a piece of flexible hose (garden hose is good), and use it like a stethoscope (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stethoscope).

wainuitech
12-10-2010, 09:11 PM
I have lost several fingernails to my old HS fan. Ditto, fingers in fans while running damn hurt.

Not a good look if one cuts you open, blood spraying through a PC's internals is hard to clean out :eek:

Had one fan blade snap off once when finger got in the way -- Hmmmm they vibrate when the fan goes out of balance like that. :rolleyes:

ktee
12-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Gulp, might re think trying to do things myself

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Nah just carefully take the side off, and don't touch any of the electrical components. You'll be fine :)

Paul.Cov
12-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm so often in and out of the guts of my computers that I've taken to leaving the sides off for months at a time.

Fine, provided there are no kids or pets to worry about them poking around among the electrics.

feersumendjinn
13-10-2010, 12:06 AM
If it's a business or ex-business machine, it may have an anti-tamper switch on the cover/lid, and may complain that you've removed the panel, can usually turn that off in the bios settings.
There are no lethal (or even slightly risky) voltages exposed if you leave the cover off (12V max), the most harm you can do is if you short something with metal implements.
Inside the power supply unit is a different story (240V AC), don't mess with that/poke anything into it!

SolMiester
13-10-2010, 08:35 AM
If you have to touch the fan, touch the centre, they are not powerful and will stop at minimal pressure