PDA

View Full Version : Backing up OS Files

12-09-2001, 01:31 PM
I want to backup OS Files but have a 1.4MB Floppy only. As a layman my queries are-
1.Which files are essential and where are they?
2.If the files are over 1.4MB then what happens?
3.I have a trial version of PowerQuest Partition Magic
( via your September issue )
would creating a Partition then copying said files be suffice.
4.Or do I wait until I can afford to buy a Zip Drive or CD-R/RW ( broke student! )
My System
Acer Veriton 5100
Pentium II 700Mhz 128Mb RAM
20 Gb HDD Windows 98SE OS
Intel(R) Graphics & Bus Controllers

ps. this was a package deal thru College - I only have the 98SE Recovery Disk
Cheers for your help
Des Te Kanawa

12-09-2001, 09:10 PM
1) You wont really gain much in backing up OS files as their all generally needed by each other.
Just use your restore disk in the case of failure.
Keeping a copy of the installers for any programs you download (and drivers) will save you from having to redownload them.

2) Most compression programs support disk spanning, wher the archive get broken up over multiple disks. BUT, if one disk fails you loose the lot. If you want to use it, I would recomend setting it to use only ~1MB of the disk as in the case of an error, it will need space to repair the files.

3) Yep, that will work, but it wont save you from harddisk failure and other things that corrupt the disk.

4) If your a student you may be able to use one of their CD writers (I can at mine) to do a backup.

I would reccomend a cd-writer over a ZIP drive, as they hold more, the disks cost almost nothing, and almost every computer can read them. And you can probably get one for less than a cdwriter (*cough* course related costs).

12-09-2001, 11:18 PM
b m
thanks for the reply, I will wait for a cd-writer to *cough* appear :-) a further query - once startup has finished when I ctrl/alt&del to check what programmes are running I get these
-Explorer
-Systray
-Hidserv ...whats this?
-Mdm ...my modem?
-Kbmacron
-Kbmacron
I have maori fonts loaded for macrons - is this Kbmacron? if so why X2?
I have more problems with scan disk in MSDOS and Windows resulting in bad 'clusters' - but thats another tale
Cheers again Des TK