PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Rapidshare?

stone2
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Anyone else mad at rapidshare for upping the prices and enforcing the spending of 495 rapid points for only one months downloading?
Rapidshare was ok when it only cost 99 rapids for a monthly account as I only download occasionally now that telecom has put an end to Big Time.
Does anyone know of another popular file hosting service that has a pricing scheme so you only pay for what you download?

Erayd
11-10-2010, 06:01 PM
...Does anyone know of another popular file hosting service that has a pricing scheme so you only pay for what you download?That depends on what you're wanting to download - not everyone uses every site to share large files; many people don't use such sites at all - torrents are usually faster, cheaper, and more convenient for all involved.

If you're finding RapidShare a problem, why not simply contact the person uploading the files and asking them to consider using a different host? If you're having issues with it, then chances are a lot of other people are just as frustrated, and they're likely to listen. If they're just sharing the file with you, or with a small group, then that course of action makes even more sense.

Chilling_Silence
11-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Bittorrent or Usenet

stone2
11-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Well I'd be sorry to dump RS but if they don't bring back something like their old pricing plan then I'm definatly off to someone else cause I need the option of paying for what I download and not what I might download in a month.
There must be heaps of people in NZ with the same prob now Big Time is dead!!!

Erayd
11-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Stone2: What content are you actually after? Unless you're downloading pirated / illegal content, there will almost always be another option, many of which don't cost anything. If there isn't, ask for one - you'll probably get what you're wanting. Many legitimate distributors of large files also offer them as torrents.

autechre
12-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Megaupload or hotfile are popular alternatives to RS.

12-10-2010, 12:01 PM
READ THE FINE PRINT before paying for Hotfile, RS etc

You may be signing up for Automatic renewals of the service.
ie your paypal , Visa etc will automaticly be deducted for subscription renewals:which can be hard to have reversed
Nearly got caught with hotfiles paypal auto-renewal.

fred_fish
12-10-2010, 02:07 PM
READ THE FINE PRINT before paying for Hotfile, RS etc

You may be signing up for Automatic renewals of the service.
ie your paypal , Visa etc will automaticly be deducted for subscription renewals:which can be hard to have reversed
Nearly got caught with hotfiles paypal auto-renewal.

That's outrageous!
Thieving pirates .... oh ... wait ... :devil

davidmmac
12-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah I bought a hotfile account a couple of months ago and didn't get caught out by the auto-renewal :D

That aside hotfile is a good service, speeds were good and there's no limits on how much you can download. Also look at what services the people who you mostly download from are using when you go to buy as it'll give you a better idea as to what service to choose.