PDA

View Full Version : default browser

12-09-2001, 11:38 AM
i installed Netscape 6 and then removed it it took over my files i just want ot beable to open my pictures and other files but it request Netscape 6 instead of IE how can i fix this?

12-09-2001, 03:03 PM
Find (using Find or search off the start menu) where the .exe file for your desired browser is located: iexplore.exe, netscape.exe, etc.

Bring up Windows Explorer or My Computer: Bring up View menu, click Folder Options (last item) click 'file types' tab; click Edit; click Edit again and you will see the pathname of the Netscape 6 program in 'application used to perform action.'

Replace it with the pathname of the desired browser - best to navigate to it with the 'browse' button on that panel, rather than risk spelling errors. OK everything, and you should be set.

12-09-2001, 03:13 PM
Checking through that procedure I have just outlined for changing the default browser, I see I have two files on different pathnames called netscape.exe, and one of them is actually Opera!
IE is my default browser anyway, and a change to either one seems to work as expected. There is no risk of confusing them, since the Opera has the Opera logo by it. But why is Opera calling itself Netscape?