PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop my computer from changing drive letters?

Billy T
11-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Hi Team

I have two USB drives that I use to store back-ups and other data and each one is formatted into a number of partitions, each with a manually assigned drive letter. One of these, which aphabetically speaking inhabits the later group of drive letters, is about to be retired and replaced by my new $118 1TB WD USB drive ex DSE, which is why I am asking the question.

This system works fine most of the time but every now and then, if I don't keep both of them plugged in and switched on and I reboot, the computer decides to reassign the drive letters, which is damned inconvenient because my paper records of what is on the partitions lists the contents according to drive letter. Funny thing is that it does not always happen.

I know I can set them back again, but why does this happen and can it be prevented? I thought that manually changing the letters would make them permanent, or do I need to make those changes 'read only' in some way?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

SolMiester
11-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Team

I have two USB drives that I use to store back-ups and other data and each one is formatted into a number of partitions, each with a manually assigned drive letter. One of these, which aphabetically speaking inhabits the later group of drive letters, is about to be retired and replaced by my new $118 1TB WD USB drive ex DSE, which is why I am asking the question.

This system works fine most of the time but every now and then, if I don't keep both of them plugged in and switched on and I reboot, the computer decides to reassign the drive letters, which is damned inconvenient because my paper records of what is on the partitions lists the contents according to drive letter. Funny thing is that it does not always happen.

I know I can set them back again, but why does this happen and can it be prevented? I thought that manually changing the letters would make them permanent, or do I need to make those changes 'read only' in some way?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Ill have to admit, that I too thought if the drive letter mappings were assigned manually, the device would keep those letters. My ones seem too.

I actually assign mine starting from z:, as any new devices will always start from last assigned letter, and if that overwrites what your device used to be, this might be the issue.

Speedy Gonzales
11-10-2010, 03:29 PM
Try one of the replies here http://kickenhardware.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18564

Or this

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=631

Billy T
11-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Ill have to admit, that I too thought if the drive letter mappings were assigned manually, the device would keep those letters. My ones seem too.

I actually assign mine starting from z:, as any new devices will always start from last assigned letter, and if that overwrites what your device used to be, this might be the issue.

Interesting thought! So far as I can see the computer assigns in alphabetical order, usually taking the next available letter, which is why I started from A which is my USB floppy or USB CD Rom, B is the USB CD Rom if I have the floppy plugged in as A, C is OS & programs and D is data. E is the DvD drive and F is a FAT32 partition for programs and instruments not compatible with NTFS. Everything after that is back up data or data storage.

I thought I could fix it by disconnecting everything from P onwards (P being my secondary paging file) because the Seagate USB drive started from Q. However on reboot Q has been skipped again (is unused) and it continues to start from R and refuses to go back!

On reflection I think I probably cocked it up by accidentally leaving a thumb drive in while booting, and because it would have responded faster than the Seagate HDD, that must have taken priority and thus shifted everything down one. I can't understand why it won't just shift back though.

Looks like I'll have to manually reset the partitions on the Seagate again, then be more careful in future.:blush:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
11-10-2010, 04:27 PM
All fixed, took only 5 minutes and survived a reboot, but the nuisance value was an irritation.

If I read it right, my XP Bible (thick and heavy enough to break your foot if dropped on it) seems to suggest that XP can do this i.e. reassign preset drive or partition letters without explanation, so I guess that's a reason (or admission) of sorts.

This has been a busier than usual day on PF1 for me!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Billy T
11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
I read Speedy's links and although they were for a later OS than XP, they gave me an idea.

I noticed that they referred to drive names as well as drive letters, and my peripatetic partitions only had drive letters, so I've named them all now and maybe that might help keep them in place if I forget to take out the thumbdrive again.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Erayd
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Another option (although it's not exactly what you were asking) is to mount them on a folder rather than a drive letter - that way you can have C:\backups pointing to your external HDD for example. Unlike drive letters, I have never had any issue with drives mounted on a folder deciding to switch locations.