PDA

View Full Version : Bridging routers?

wallarro
11-10-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi all,

I am wanting to connect my old router Netgear WGR101 (it has Tomato) to the current ADSL DLink DSL-2740B. So the scenario is laptops connect wirelessly to DLink using WPA2 and game console connect wirelessly to Netgear using WEP.

I just want confirm that it's called bridge so I can Google for some instructions. Or if anyone can point me to an easy to understand instructions?

Cheers,
Wallarro

Chilling_Silence
11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I've never done it with Tomato, but I know that you can do a repeater-bridge with DD-WRT:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

The instructions are a bit out of date, long-winded and not as clear as they could be ... but it should be enough to get you going :)

I take it there's not going to be any ethernet going to the WGR101?

Post back if you need further assistance :)

wallarro
11-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks for that.

Actually the netgear has dd-wrt not tomato.

I skimmed the instruction but don't think it will work as it mentioned that the secondary router's (netgear) security mode and key has to match the primary router's.

I need the secondary router to use wep so my nintendo ds can connect to it while the laptops can connect to the more secure wpa2 of the primary router.

Chilling_Silence
11-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Yeah you can set it to do that, and set the Repeater (Virtual) interface to use WEP so your DS can use it. I've done the same for my brother at my parents place.

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I should clarify:
When you're creating the wireless repeater-bridge, the first wifi network is what's used to connect the repeater node to the main AP. Therefor the encryption, channel etc must match.

The secondary virtual wireless interface is the repeater side of things, and can be 100% independent. Heck you can even have multiple virtual interfaces if you want, one that matches your main wifi networks, and a 2nd that has just WEP for your DS if you are so inclined that way ;)

However, remember that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Same goes for Wireless security.

fred_fish
12-10-2010, 01:13 PM
However, remember that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Same goes for Wireless security.

Yup, unless you can put the WEP AP on a separate subnet & firewall it from the rest of the network, you might as well just use WEP on everything.
A padlocked gate doesn't do you much good if you don't have a fence!

Chilling_Silence
12-10-2010, 02:10 PM
My point exactly ;)