PDA

View Full Version : Taking control of IE8

Miami Steve
11-10-2010, 11:11 AM
A laptop I use has been set by a Global Policy to start Internet Explorer automatically at startup and take me to a pre-defined page. While this is a fairly draconian method of getting somebody to vew a specific site, it fails miserably when the user is offsite with no internet access. Apart from the time it takes to fire up IE (on older laptops), often trying to close the window before it has timed out can crash the laptop.

Is there anyway of stopping IE8 from starting automatically. There is no entry in "msconfig" and nothing visible in the registry. An attempt to rename "iexplore.exe" (as Local Admin and in Safe Mode) fails with the message "You need permission to perform this action".

I would love to simply uninstall IE8, but apparently IE8 is still inextricably part of Windows.

BTW, O/S is Vista with latest SP.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SolMiester
11-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Sorry mate, but that is why GPO was created, to simplify, control and automate tasks. I would ask your IT dept if perhaps they could give you a hardware profile or perhaps a different GPO for when you are not at the office. Failing that, put the unit to sleep and then its only a 2 second wake-up when out and about instead of logging on and running scripts all the time!

Miami Steve
11-10-2010, 11:20 AM
Hmmmm - I was afraid of that.

I might just end up using the Hosts file or similar to redirect to a blank page for the home page. Might speed things up a little.

pctek
11-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Probably not - but you could check in scheduled taskas too, in case.....

SolMiester
11-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Hmmmm - I was afraid of that.

I might just end up using the Hosts file or similar to redirect to a blank page for the home page. Might speed things up a little.

Is the redirection to an internal Intranet site, perhaps you could cache the site for offline viewing!

Miami Steve
11-10-2010, 12:01 PM
It is an internal Intranet site. But not one that I ever use. Due to lack of functionality and interest, the powers that be have decided to use the North Korean method of "encouraging" people to follow their wishes.

They will learn eventually that the easiest way to attract people is to offer something that interests the target audience.