PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 crashes

11-09-2001, 11:57 PM
I have recently bought a new computer with windows 200. It is a standalone machine with a 1.4Athlon chip, 512mb ram, 2x 20gig hard drives. Ever since new it has crashed intermittantly. When I say crashed it just totally wipes out and reboots. This happens about every 24 hours or so, sometimes when it is being used but mostly when unattended.

I have tried putting a UPS in the line, tried reloading the O/S onto the 2nd hard disk and resetting up, replaced the power supply. I have even used the hard disk in another machine and that doesn't crash. This machine running another hard disk with Win ME didn't crash.

Any ideas would be most welcome - I haven't got much hair left!

John Robb

12-09-2001, 03:51 PM
I would say that it can be temperature or doggy RAM.

Also I've expirienced a number of random reboots coused by D-Link USB radio thingy.

12-09-2001, 03:51 PM
I would say that it can be temperature or doggy RAM.

Also I've expirienced a number of random reboots coused by D-Link USB radio thingy.

13-09-2001, 07:30 PM
You could try 98 SE but it is either your memory or the power supply for AMD cpus it is recommended you use a 300 watt plus power source.
do a diagnotic test using NOrton Utilities contact me if you dont have it

13-09-2001, 10:40 PM
Many thanks for your help Gordon, I am about to turn the machine off to check the wattage of the power supply. Someone else suggested that it may be faulty memory so I will get that checked also.

I have a copy of Norton Utilities 2000 I think. Is that what is required or do I need a later version? The disk is at work so I will have a look tomorrow.

It is such a frustrating fault I do appreciate your taking the time to reply

Thanks

John

13-09-2001, 10:43 PM
Thanks for your response Ivan, someone else has suggedsted faulty RAM so I will get that checked out. He also suggested that AMD chips need at least a 300watt power supply so I will check that as well

Your suggestions are most appreciated as it is a very frustarting problem.

Many thanks

John