PDA

View Full Version : Activation frustration

feersumendjinn
10-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I have just had to phone-activate Vista on a laptop (new HDD crapped out within 2 months :mad:), now if I (or owner) was to reinstall again (god forbid), would I need to phone-activate again, or will the original COA work, or do I need to extract the key with Magical Jelly Bean etc.
(Just to cover the details, when I installed it, I typed in the COA, but unticked automatic activation (as I didn't want to connect unprotected :eek:)).

And what a hassle it is to phone activate, couldn't handle the automatic system, while typing in the first series of numbers on the phone (that part wasn't explained well in the vista prompt window), got cut off so went to a call centre person (much easier, better than a robot anyway).

gary67
10-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Had to phone activate SWMBO's XP a while ago (3-4 months) re installed it two weeks ago and the coa on the case worked fine this time. What most people forget is that they try and activate automatically without loading the NIC drivers then wonder why it won't connect

The Error Guy
10-10-2010, 11:40 AM
the only phone activation I have had to do was with office 07 (the school blocked the Microsoft activation servers, just to make life easier) was relatively easy until office decided after 2 days that it didn't like the COA anymore, MS fixed that with a new key + COA, don't know why though. the other key was perfectly fine

wainuitech
10-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Phone activation is to bad.

One thing many people dont know, is the COA on a name brand PC is different set of codes to that of a normal OEM.

For example: A acer Laptop I have here,the COA reads OEMact, where as all the other OEM stickers I have about simply say OEM.

It usually just a case of punching in the Numbers that appear when you select Phone activation. Sometimes, you may get a message saying this product key can not be activated in this manner ( or words to that effect) press ( what ever) to speak to a customer service rep.

I just tell them the truth, ( in your case) the HDD had failed, there was no recovery DVD's so I'm reinstalling using the COA on the back of the Laptop. They give you a new set of numbers and thats it. ( they may ask is it installed on any other PC/Laptop) IF it ever needs to be reinstalled again, then the COA will now work.

Make a Image of the system in a clean state, and keep it someplace safe, that way IF it ever needs to be reinstalled simply put the Image back - already activated.

feersumendjinn
10-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks everybody. :)

pctek
10-10-2010, 02:29 PM
I always online activate. If it throws a tantrum over re-used COAs I do the ph bit. Rarely have I had to speak to anyone.

Ph goes like this:
Enter numbers ---it thinks, it says Are your installing on orginal PC?
Yes.
Are installing on only one PC?
Yes
Have you removed it from the other PC?
Yes.
Even though that last bit doesn't make sense if its a reinstall.

And then it accepts it happily.
So long as you are using the right COA of course.

feersumendjinn
10-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I wasn't actually asked any questions. :illogical

pctek
10-10-2010, 06:58 PM
I wasn't actually asked any questions. :illogical
We weren't giving you any answers either. Just our own experiences.

feersumendjinn
10-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Sorry.
All I meant was they (Microsoft) didn't ask me any questions about previous installs etc (which is possibly unusual).