PDA

View Full Version : Don't have kids

pctek
10-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Last night son wrote off the car I gave him when we came up.

No seat belt either so he broke the windscreen with his head.

Yes it was his fault.

It's a major snafu. He works at the top of Ponsonby, at weird hours, super early in the morning - I fed the travel through Maxx, and it's not actually possible.

The best result was 1 short distance bus to train station, train to Britomart, another bus to his work. For $9.70 each way.

Ok, you say - and? And it makes him an hour and a hald late as that's the earliest there is.

Public transport in Akld sucks.

The Error Guy
10-10-2010, 06:48 AM
ooch, nasty. then again, lessons learned I hope

Cato
10-10-2010, 07:13 AM
His head broke the windscreen?
Tell him to go and buy a car. He works, he should be able to get a loan to buy a car if he hasn't saved up.

Insurance?

Renmoo
10-10-2010, 07:51 AM
Public transport in Akld sucks.
I think it is an overestimation to say that because of the lack of public transport in the wee morning. This is probably the same situation as well in other parts of New Zealand, whereby it is almost impossible to get from one point to another within the same town at 3am.

I guess one of the ways that he can overcome this issue is to get an accommodation within the city central. For instance, he can flat in an apartment close to Ponsonby during the working days.

On the issue of the impact, I hope he didn't hurt his head too much.

Cheers :)

Lurking
10-10-2010, 08:11 AM
His head broke the windscreen?
Tell him to go and buy a car. He works, he should be able to get a loan to buy a car if he hasn't saved up.

Insurance?

Oh yes, do!!!

That's what f**** up the Mum and Dad finance companies.

Otherwise Mum will have to pay once more, sorry bout that pctek.

Lurking.

Ps. Very glad he is okay.

lurks.

pctek
10-10-2010, 11:21 AM
I think it is an overestimation to say that because of the lack of public transport in the wee morning.

Ah but it was all of it. Out of curiosity I entered my details, time, location etc to see what the situation would be if I tried to bus to work.

Yes, I could, not being super early - but it would take 1 hr 24 mins and cost $13.50 each way.

It's a joke.

I tried several scenarios based on friends and their home/work locations.

Really you have to A)work normal hours B)Work in a main location, ie town.

Anything too different and it's pathetic.

Loans for cars - I'm not going into details - I don't even know them all - nor does he.

His partner is a crazy person and already owes around the cost of a brand new Holden?(estimate) - to loan sharks. I've mentioned he needs to get out of her exactly what, add his mess to it and go get a consolidation loan of his bank before they end up owing a mortgage without actually owning a house.

So another car won't be happening for quite some time I'd say.

qazwsxokmijn
10-10-2010, 11:30 AM
Is he alright? I concur public transport here sucks a ton of ass.

Especially when you have a bunch of garbage school kids insisting on sharing their gangster rap 'music' on cheap cellphones blasted on full volume.

prefect
10-10-2010, 11:39 AM
The city is very spread out for its population not possible to have cost effective public transport without heavy subsidies.
Auckland is like LA the city of cars we now have the motorways being connected together and we may not need heavy investment in public transport.

Metla
10-10-2010, 11:45 AM
The city is very spread out for its population not possible to have cost effective public transport without heavy subsidies.
Auckland is like LA the city of cars we now have the motorways being connected together and we may not need heavy investment in public transport.

Utter rubbish, Higher capacity roads just promote more cars. Auckland isn't even a big city, its just a badly managed one.

As your post highlights its a culture change that is needed as much as investment in infrastructure.

Cato
10-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Ah but it was all of it. Out of curiosity I entered my details, time, location etc to see what the situation would be if I tried to bus to work.

Yes, I could, not being super early - but it would take 1 hr 24 mins and cost $13.50 each way.

It's a joke.

I tried several scenarios based on friends and their home/work locations.

Really you have to A)work normal hours B)Work in a main location, ie town.

Anything too different and it's pathetic.
Yep, public transport is useless in Auckland. I hope I never have to use it. Ever.

Loans for cars - I'm not going into details - I don't even know them all - nor does he.

His partner is a crazy person and already owes around the cost of a brand new Holden?(estimate) - to loan sharks. I've mentioned he needs to get out of her exactly what, add his mess to it and go get a consolidation loan of his bank before they end up owing a mortgage without actually owning a house.

So another car won't be happening for quite some time I'd say.
That sucks.
You need to slap your sense into him. That be how lives get ruined.

pcuser42
10-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Yep, public transport is useless in Auckland. I hope I never have to use it. Ever.

It's not as useless as you think it is (well the trains anyway). :)

(Then again, this is coming from someone who lives a 15 minute walk away from the third busiest station on the network.)

Cato
10-10-2010, 12:13 PM
Honestly, why would I use public transport if I can get there cheaper, quicker and more easily if I used a car?

pcuser42
10-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Honestly, why would I use public transport if I can get there cheaper, quicker and more easily if I used a car?

$8 return to Britomart ;)

And how long do you spend finding a car park? :)

qazwsxokmijn
10-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately taking the bus is approx $6 cheaper than taking the car to uni for me. I absolutely hate taking the bus here in Auckland but $6 does add up every single day to $30 a week!!!

prefect
10-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Utter rubbish, Higher capacity roads just promote more cars. Auckland isn't even a big city, its just a badly managed one.

As your post highlights its a culture change that is needed as much as investment in infrastructure.
Hooking up the motorways as was planned 40 years ago might make them flow faster.
Not sure browns planned rail link from CBD to airport would pay for itself in squillion years.
I have nothing against public transport if its not subdized by rates

Cato
10-10-2010, 12:44 PM
$8 return to Britomart ;)

And how long do you spend finding a car park? :)

Funny, 30km according to MAXX would take me between 1:20 & 1:30. I'd do the same trip in under 30mins and find a parking spot.

With an average fuel consumption 14km/l at $1.80 that I used to pay, it cost me under 4$ one way, sure I end up paying a bit for parking up meh.

Metla
10-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Funny, 30km according to MAXX would take me between 1:20 & 1:30. I'd do the same trip in under 30mins and find a parking spot.

With an average fuel consumption 14km/l at $1.80 that I used to pay, it cost me under 4$ one way, sure I end up paying a bit for parking up meh.

Your car was free?,and has no running costs apart from fuel?

prefect
10-10-2010, 12:50 PM
Ha ha photoshop rego and wof lol keeps costs down.

pctek
10-10-2010, 01:26 PM
You need to slap your sense into him. That be how lives get ruined.

Into her more so than him, not that either of them think.

Interestingly I have no idea how you get $8 on the bus.

His came out at $9.70 each way, bus + train. Mine (if I was to do it) would be $13.50 each way.
And take longer than a slow car crawl in traffic.
No wonder we all drive.

Billy T
10-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Last night son wrote off the car I gave him when we came up.

No seat belt either so he broke the windscreen with his head.

Yes it was his fault.

Never give your kid a car, they will have no commitment to it and you will end up paying for their indiscretions or carelessness. As for the lack of a seatbelt, the name 'Darwin' comes to mind.

I won't allow my car (used for business and family) to be driven by anybody else except in the case of a medical emergency. Mrs T has her own car and my son & daughter bought a car between them. We insured it via our insurance company, they pay the costs, and the excess/ loss of no claims bonus if they have an accident. I gave them both sufficient driving lessons to get them over the basics without learning too many of my bad habits, then handed them on to an instructor to polish them up. We gave both 4 lessons prepaid, the rest were on them.

So far my daughter has had two incidents, one a carpark argument with a post (driving instructor didn't explain that the front and rear steering behaves differently when reversing) and the other (recently mentioned here) a slow-speed collision with a parked car when her windscreen flash-froze after Auckland's coldest night in many years, a phenomenon I have never seen before in over 40 years of driving.

Any way, she's paid for the increase in the insurance, and the loss of no claims bonus. Careful as she is, we'd have paid a lot more by now if she was not constantly aware that she is financially responsible for her actions on the road.

When your son has to take a push-bike, bus or train to work, perhaps at antisocial hours, or look for another job closer to home, he will start to realise how generous you were and how stupid he was.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pcuser42
10-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Interestingly I have no idea how you get $8 on the bus.

2 child 6 stage tickets (Papakura - Britomart) on the train at $4 each. (Being at school has its advantages :D)

Cato
10-10-2010, 02:05 PM
And how old do you have to be to get a child ticket?

xyz823
10-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Well I can bike to school in about 5min. And work in about 3min (Including waiting for the lights) Takes about 5-10 min to get into town though.

:p

Cato
10-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Your car was free?,and has no running costs apart from fuel?

No, if I wanted free I'd have walked.

pcuser42
10-10-2010, 02:13 PM
And how old do you have to be to get a child ticket?

All you need is a valid student ID and you get the child prices.

xyz823
10-10-2010, 02:18 PM
All you need is a valid student ID and you get the child prices.

Not too hard to forge.

pctek
10-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Never give your kid a car

When your son has to take a push-bike, bus or train to work, perhaps at antisocial hours, or look for another job closer to home, he will start to realise how generous you were and how stupid he was.

He's 32.

He, until I gave him my car (and transferred it into his name), did take a pushbike or walk to work. Admittedly the job he has now was possible because he got the car, he got the job after.

Still what he did with the car teaches him a lesson - not me. I know what kids are like. 32 yr old ones or not.

I only paid $1500 for it - 4 years ago anyway. Now he'll have to regret his actions.

Mistake made. I'm more disgusted with his other half actually. Went round again today and her attitude (not to do with the car) makes me want to perform violence.

I'll restrain myself though......

Cato
10-10-2010, 04:15 PM
He's 32.

He, until I gave him my car (and transferred it into his name), did take a pushbike or walk to work. Admittedly the job he has now was possible because he got the car, he got the job after.

YOUR KID IS 32? THIRTY TWO??????????? :eek:

My folks had me on my own before I was even 20 :(

lakewoodlady
10-10-2010, 04:46 PM
YOUR KID IS 32? THIRTY TWO??????????? :eek:

Son is 36 and works nights as security at a bar in town. YES HE LIVES AT HOME! We share my car, he uses it at night and I use it in the day. Works fine.
I really have sympathies for someone in Auckland though. Hang in there pctek, don't lose your cool with the son's partner. He has to sort it and the sooner the better!

OMG have I become an agony aunt?

LL :eek:

plod
10-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Never give your kid a car, they will have no commitment to it and you will end up paying for their indiscretions or carelessness. As for the lack of a seatbelt, the name 'Darwin' comes to mind.

I won't allow my car (used for business and family) to be driven by anybody else except in the case of a medical emergency. Mrs T has her own car and my son & daughter bought a car between them. We insured it via our insurance company, they pay the costs, and the excess/ loss of no claims bonus if they have an accident. I gave them both sufficient driving lessons to get them over the basics without learning too many of my bad habits, then handed them on to an instructor to polish them up. We gave both 4 lessons prepaid, the rest were on them.

So far my daughter has had two incidents, one a carpark argument with a post (driving instructor didn't explain that the front and rear steering behaves differently when reversing) and the other (recently mentioned here) a slow-speed collision with a parked car when her windscreen flash-froze after Auckland's coldest night in many years, a phenomenon I have never seen before in over 40 years of driving.

Any way, she's paid for the increase in the insurance, and the loss of no claims bonus. Careful as she is, we'd have paid a lot more by now if she was not constantly aware that she is financially responsible for her actions on the road.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
So have you got your child/s car insured under your name?

pctek
10-10-2010, 05:55 PM

He is on his own. When did I say he wasn't?

pctek
10-10-2010, 05:57 PM
OMG have I become an agony aunt?

LL :eek:

LOL. And I've become both a mother-in-law and a granny.:eek:

No. I gave him the car. Wasn't worth a lot. I bought another.
That's it. Don't pay for the thing for him, don't wipe his bum either.

plod
10-10-2010, 05:58 PM
He is on his own. When did I say he wasn't?

I'm just a little older then your son, and although I don't rely on my parents its always nice when they help out. I'm sure if there were no grandchildren involved my parents wouldn't be so helpful. I do pity the daughter inlaw problem, having to bite your tongue.

plod
10-10-2010, 05:59 PM
LOL. And I've become both a mother-in-law and a granny.:eek:

No. I gave him the car. Wasn't worth a lot. I bought another.
That's it. Don't pay for the thing for him, don't wipe his bum either.
I was quoting Billy T post, not yours.

gary67
10-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Step son is 16 and on our insurance until he gets his full around Feb next year then he will be on his own insurance. The sooner he starts his no claims the better for him

SP8's
10-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Too late for your advice pctek ... but SWMBO'd did send me to the vet some years ago :D

plod
10-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Step son is 16 and on our insurance until he gets his full around Feb next year then he will be on his own insurance. The sooner he starts his no claims the better for him
I was always under the impression, that it was ok to have a child as a named driver, but was not ok to have a childs car insured under your name. So if said person was the main driver of a car then the insurance needed to be under that name

Snorkbox
10-10-2010, 07:19 PM
If a person under 25 gets to drive the car your premiums get to go up.

ubergeek85
10-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Unfortunately taking the bus is approx $6 cheaper than taking the car to uni for me. I absolutely hate taking the bus here in Auckland but $6 does add up every single day to $30 a week!!!

A true student!

That's a box of beer right there.

KenESmith
11-10-2010, 09:27 AM
If you have children, your are morally obliged to do the following:
House and feed them until they achieve the age where it is no longer necessary to compulsary to attend a place of education - provision of the basics beyond this age ,should be:
(a) if still in education should be on the basis of academic performance and commitment;
(b) if the offspring is working on the basis of making a fair financial commitment to the household budget.
The sooner children learn there is no such thing as a free meal the better.

From experience, under no circumstances allow them to become financially dependent on their parents when they are earning enough to pay their own way in the world, unless you are so wealthy that the cost and consequences don't matter, or unless you are actively seeking an impoverished retirement.

Billy T
11-10-2010, 01:12 PM
From experience, under no circumstances allow them to become financially dependent on their parents when they are earning enough to pay their own way in the world, unless you are so wealthy that the cost and consequences don't matter, or unless you are actively seeking an impoverished retirement.

I am with you all the way up to here, then I hold that regardless of your financial circumstances, they have to either find work or while between jobs, make use of the services provided for the purpose by government policy. They can have economic board and lodgings, but must do their full share of household duties such as cooking, cleaning, washing, garden maintenance etc. Without that discipline they will become a ball and chain around your neck, and if I was pctek I'd check for rust marks!

I was on my own from the day I started work and paid 60% of my gross income for board and keep. That was a pretty fair deal too, when I left home to go flatting, I found that my costs were a lot higher with around 70% of gross going on rent, food and clothing etc. I still went home to mow lawns (my mower and at my expense) and do general maintenance right up until my parents passed away.

It was the least I could do for them.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

prefect
11-10-2010, 01:26 PM
If you have children, your are morally obliged to do the following:
House and feed them until they achieve the age where it is no longer necessary to compulsary to attend a place of education - provision of the basics beyond this age ,should be:
(a) if still in education should be on the basis of academic performance and commitment;
(b) if the offspring is working on the basis of making a fair financial commitment to the household budget.
The sooner children learn there is no such thing as a free meal the better.

I will show my two kids one 12 other 14 this because its what I think as well.
When they are 17 max (gone up a year) they are on their bike they can go flatting like I did when I was 16.
Wife has different ideas of age but she wont win on this one.
As soon as they go I can go on my OE to all the major European battlefields of WW2 and Galliopoli.

faith1806
11-10-2010, 01:36 PM
lol, remember that "Human nature is kind at the begining of human being's lives.And their inherent character and temperament are analogous with each other ", so be kind to teach them what is right and what is wrong